Q regarding floppy drive uninstall

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I recently added a floppy drive to my desktop (Dell Dimension 2400)
and would like some advice on how to get rid of the stupid thing. It
made an annoying groaning noise every time I rebooted, every time I
logged on and off, and every time I opened a file - for no apparent
reason - and there was nothing in the drive!

What Ive done so far:
(1) Clear out recent documents in the Advanced section of the Start
menu
(2) Turn off the scan floppy option in Norton Anti-Virus
(3) Disable diskette drive in BIOS booting set up
(4) "Save as" a bunch of documents onto the desktop under different
names a dozen times

And the floppy drive is _still_ alive...

How do I kill the bastard? Do I need to yank out the connector?

Thanks -
Joan

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Try replacing the drive. It is malfunctioning. It should not be making any
noises.

"joan_l" <joan_l@some.com> wrote in message
>I recently added a floppy drive to my desktop (Dell Dimension 2400)
> and would like some advice on how to get rid of the stupid thing. It
> made an annoying groaning noise every time I rebooted, every time I
> logged on and off, and every time I opened a file - for no apparent
> reason - and there was nothing in the drive!
>
> What Ive done so far:
> (1) Clear out recent documents in the Advanced section of the Start
> menu
> (2) Turn off the scan floppy option in Norton Anti-Virus
> (3) Disable diskette drive in BIOS booting set up
> (4) "Save as" a bunch of documents onto the desktop under different
> names a dozen times
>
> And the floppy drive is _still_ alive...
>
> How do I kill the bastard? Do I need to yank out the connector?
>
> Thanks -
> Joan

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"joan_l" <joan_l@some.com> wrote in message
>I recently added a floppy drive to my desktop (Dell Dimension 2400)
> and would like some advice on how to get rid of the stupid thing.

Why did you install it? Has that reason disappeared? You choices are, live
with it or remove it from the machine. Windows will scan the drive every
time the machine boots, changes user or accesses Windows Explorer.

william

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Had the same problem.
Check this thread
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=208599

Cant recall which one solved the problem for me but one of them did
Bill

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 05:25:57 -0400, "Sinner" <Sinner@GatesofHell.org>
wrote:

>"joan_l" <joan_l@some.com> wrote in message
>>I recently added a floppy drive to my desktop (Dell Dimension 2400)
>> and would like some advice on how to get rid of the stupid thing.
>
>Why did you install it? Has that reason disappeared? You choices are, live
>with it or remove it from the machine. Windows will scan the drive every
>time the machine boots, changes user or accesses Windows Explorer.

I had a need for reading numerous small files that were archived on
floppies. I now have another way to access them.

I've decided to leave the drive in the machine, it is a useful dust
cover - but I've killed it by disabling the floppy controller in
device manager. Such an annoying "feature"!

Thanks -
Joan

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 19:57:21 -0700, "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Try replacing the drive. It is malfunctioning. It should not be making any
>noises.

The drive is brand new from Dell. Dell tech told me the problem is a
"bug" in Windows XP (when I put in another known good drive, it made
the same noises - not as loud though...).

Thanks -
Joan