AMDnForceGeForce

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
From AMDs site I found out that the Athlon 64 is due out 2nd half THIS YEAR. I have some questions about it. What DDR does it use? 266/333/400. Will it use the same ATX form factor (stupid questino)? Will it require more power than the Current XP CPU? Besides VIA and AMD who is planning an Athlon 64 Chipset. Will any significant harware standards change? ATA, FDD I/O, PS/2 port removal?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
It will use DDR333.

No dobut that Athlon 64 will use ATX form factor.

AMD (w/ ALi Southbridge) and nVidia is planning to make Athlon64 chipsets.

ATA, FDD I/O, PS/2 port removal?
Depends on the southbridge of chipset, possibly no.

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Um pretty sure they said on the whitesheets that the hammer class will support 200/266 ddr single channel at this point. Your always welcome to find a link that says otherwise for me.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1060900" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
It will be ATX form factor. Besides VIA, nVidia will produce an Athlon-64 chipset called Crush. One would think SATA would be integrated on the Southbridge. Athlon-64 has an integrated memory controller which will theoretically improve memory bandwidth substantially. I am not certain as to whether or not AMD will release the Clawhammer with a 166 or 200 mhz FSB. I know AMD has been asked if they are going to be going to a 200MZ FSB in the near future and their official resonse was that they are "looking into it," so I assume the Athlon-64 will have a 166 MZ FSB and maybe a subsequent version will have 200mz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You mention VIA first? No wonder you call yourself Twitch!

ALi and SiS will also have chipsets for the Athlon 64. In fact, I think ALi might be planning a comeback with theirs.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Hey! He said, and I paraphrase, "Besides VIA and AMD, who will make a chipset...yadda...yadda...?"

To be honest, it hadn't really occured to me until reading his topic post that VIA still exists. :smile: Of course, I saw their little 600mz P4-Killer on that other thread, so I realized they are still a force to be reckoned with.

Has anyone ever owned a problem-free VIA motherboard? I've owned four (because they somehow always were faster, until recently,) and all four have been a 4-in-1 driver-upgrading, bios flashing nightmare. Fast though. Like owning a Porsche that stalls out every couple miles.

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
i would like to say that i have owned KT7's (non raid and raid), KG7s and even KR7s and arent they all VIA chipsets?
I have had no problems what-so-ever with these boards at all.. i have used most newer amd cpus from the durons to the thunderbirds to the xps (palminos? or something??) and i have had no problems what so ever..
the only problem i had was when i changed my cpu fan to a thermal take 7+ which killed both cpu motherboard and memory... which i thought was a bit of a pi** take really.. and that was the heat sinks fault not mine ... stupid thing didnt fit properly.. but thats another story
im looking for a new amd motherboard, probably nforce 2 or something.. need a faster amd cpu too come to think about it....

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
ALi and SiS, no wonder you call yourself Crashman...

Via may have problems, but I've had better experiences with Via than those two...

That's just REALLY sad.

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only SiS chipsets I've ever had ANY problems with were the integrated chipsets made for extreme low end systems. Asus had problems with the A7A266 that other companies did not exhibit. Oh, Asus had problems with the P4S8X which other companies did not exhibit. Come to think about it, Asus makes at least half as many junk boards as good boards, Asus is not the reliable company people think it is.

But I see you're running an MSI board, so hats off to you!

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Maybe I've just been unlucky. Or maybe the little bit of Italian in me causes me to hold a grudge for a long, long, looooong time. Or maybe I was just too much of a noob before, though I've been pretty savvy for a few years now. I do learn a little more with each upgrade.

Seriously, I've had four VIA motherboards, and I'll bet I've spent 100 cumulative hours just getting them set up to work with everything. I've had two VIA boards I've had to return to the vendors because of their inability to post, one an ABIT and the other an ASUS. To be fair, those instances may not have been VIA's fault, and once I've gotten them set up, they usually are fairly stable thereafter, like the SOYO Dragon Plus I'm running now. However, it does seem like installing any sort of new hardware is doomed to become an adventure. I think it really hit home for me how easy it can be when I bought my Athlon 1400 a couple years ago and an ECS Motherboard with the SiS 635 chipset. I plugged everything in, turned it on, made my BIOS settings, intalled my OS, and everything worked! The FIRST time! Only minor tweaking was necessary and I was on my way.

Then AMD came out with the XP, and the KT266A was the fastest thing on the block, so I found myself buying a VIA board again. And if their next release blows away the nForce2 and I decide to keep buying Athlons, I will probably buy VIA again. I still reserve the right to dislike them though. :smile:

It is better now than it used to be. Remember when VIA had to rewrite their 4-1 drivers for the AGP mini-port, because it was running at about half speed? Remember the *terrific* IDE performance? Ahhh, those were the good old days. (As in, good that their gone.)

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
Heh...
Never heard any probs with an MSI board before this... Will never buy one again.

*remembers the ALi and SiS chip problems with the many P2/K6 class machines he used, will never buy one again*

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 5xxx series of integrated chipsets were garbage, but that's ancient history in the computer world. Since the shocking revelation of the 735, SiS has been on top of reliability. As for ALi, I had a dog slow ALi board for my K6-2 that was very stable when compared to my MVP3.

every VIA motherboard i've owned had problems. That was my reason to switch to Intel.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
well i might have been lucky, but like i said, every board as been fine.. the only problem i have ever had is forgetting to install the agp port drivers on my kg7s.. it made the run like a dog..
but everytime i remember to install them, they work fine..

If it blows up? Opps.... I must have been doing something wrong