Sign in with
Your question

MY COMPUTER IS EVIL

Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2003 4:52:46 AM

Comrades of tomshardware, do not laugh at my misfortune, I am a simple person trying to lead a simple life but this pursuit is hampered by my computer developing consiousness and being persistently evil.

Examples of its evilness :
------------------------

* Random DLL errors will appear at random times, forcing windows and programs to close.

* Frequestly when I try and install something the blue screen of death will appear. It will generally appear at the same point of the installation process every time I try.

* Even when i manage to install a program there is a good chance that a combiunation of blue screens and DLL errors and fatal errors will pop up when I try to open the program or use it.

To try and rid my computer of its evilness I have done the following :
------------------------------------------------------------------

- fully format countless times and use several different versions and copies of windows when re-installing

- swap RAM

- clean the CPU and video card fans

- Buy a new hardrive (waste of money)

- reason with my computer

- threaten my computer

- swear at my computer

- apologise for threatening and swearing at computer

All of these attempts have been completely futile. Please help me, please help, please......

More about : computer evil

February 17, 2003 5:01:32 AM

1. What mainboard?
2. What CPU?
3. What RAM?
4. What this?
5. What that?

Ignorance is bliss, and i'm a happy guy!
February 17, 2003 5:12:57 AM

OK then .....

CPU: Celeron 466
MOTHERBOARD: Aopen AX63 Pro
RAM: 2 x 64meg PC 100
VIDEO CARD: VideoExcel TNT2 M64 32meg
HARDRIVE: 40 gig Western Digital 7200

I didn't think the specific components were important because I had the system, nothing changed, for quite a while and there were no problems so its not a hardware conflict.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 17, 2003 3:29:47 PM

Not necesarilly a hardware "conflict" but i bet ur ram has crapped out =)

go pick up a 256MB stick of PC-133 SDRAM.....take out ur current ram...put it in ur system....i bet ur problem will be gone =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
February 17, 2003 4:52:23 PM

Of course, you've stated that you've already swapped the RAM, but this does sound alot like bad ram. Download and run the memtest program to check your RAM.

To tell the truth, with multiple OS's and a new hard drive, it does sound alot like a ram issue. I doubt it's a power supply issue. Maybe a bios issue, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Another possibility is a bad CD-Rom drive, but again that's a bit of a stretch. When you do manage to install a program, do you completely install to the hard drive or run from the CD? If you do manage a full install and are still getting blue screens then it likely is not the CD rom drive.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2003 12:41:54 AM

HAHAHAHAhohohohoWEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's the VIA demon. The board? Toast. Get something with a BX chipset, my advice is a P2B v1.10, P2B-F, P3B-F, BX6 r2.0, BE6-II, BF6, SY-6BA+III, SY-6BA+IV, etc.

Notice those are all BX boards. I sell the Abit and Asus versions for extremely high prices on eBay. Feel free to buy from me directly if you like, but be prepared to PAY. LOL, otherwize, feel free to buy from one of the other jerks who undersell their boards by poor advertizing, all the boards I listed will support up to the PIII 1400 using a cheapo Slot-T adapter from Upgradeware.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
February 18, 2003 12:46:01 AM

hmm, u ot a custom title.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2003 2:47:26 AM

Er, no.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
February 18, 2003 4:03:53 AM

yeah! It ain't in the faq.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."