GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I got a hand me down Athlon Tbird 1.2Ghz with a 266FSB, and swapped out my Duron Morgan 1.1, and I cannot believe the framerate difference I am getting in the games I play....man....even though I am still using pc133, it feels like a speed demon. I am new to this processor stuff and didnt really know the importance of L2 Cache when video games are involved, but still, is that really why I am seeing such a dramatic change in my computer?...Sandra 2003 says that my FSB is 266 but am I really achieving that with 512 megs of pc133?....I am really stoked about my improvments but would like to fully understand the mechanism of how I got them.....thanx

Saving up to buy Crashman a Shuttle Mini PC....

eden

Champion
If you check on THG's old benchmarks, a 1.2GHZ Tbird is a good 30% more performing than a 1.1GHZ Duron.
I think that alone can make a big difference, especially since most games now will take in any new CPU and crunch it. Obviously it liked that small upgrade, and is telling you in its own way: More!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
If you use DDR instead of SDram, yu'll see another 20% or so improvement. Of course, that'll likely entail purchasing a new mobo.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) It's not just the L2 cache, but the additional bus speed as well
2.) Sandra is reporting your CPU bus of 133MHz, which is DDR266. It has nothing to do with memory speed.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Actually knowan, I have the dreaded ECS K7S5A mobo, and I have two empty slots for DDR, but I believe 2100 would be the max for it...does anyone know?

Saving up to buy Crashman a Shuttle Mini PC....

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
PC-2100 is the max as it only OFFICIALY supports 133Mhz FSB CPU's..but it rusn fien with PC-2700 DDR>..i know cuz i had that mobo b4 my current oen with the same ram...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>