Substitues for PartitionMagic and DataKeeper

August 7, 2005 11:06:12 PM

I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:

PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some reason,
it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and shuts down.
Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out PowerQuest
because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid Symantec anyway.
Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking for alternatives.

Datakeeper was priceless. It backs up whatever you tell it to in real
time, and it will save as many copies as you want. That, also is giving me
problems on my new computer. It is good for recovering old copies of data
that have since been overwritten by newer versions as well as for recovering
all of the latest data. PowerQuest stopped supporting it years ago, and I
don't know of a substitute.

I am running XP Home SP2. Can anyone help me with this.

--
Gary Burton
Anonymous

Gary Burton commented thusly:

> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for
> replacements:
>
> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer.
> For some reason,
> it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition
> and shuts down. Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after
> they bought out PowerQuest because it is still called
> version 8.0. I try to avoid Symantec anyway. Acronis has
> something similar, but I am still looking for alternatives.

I assume you have the 8.01 patch?

In my case, I can only run it with my Win XP Pro SP1 and nVidea
Geforce graphics card in Safe Mode as it freezes immediately at
launch. I traced that to the video card and no amount of
fiddling with nVidia helped. And, as you've found out, tech
support from Symantec is virtually impossible to get, even if
you're willing to pay for it.

> Datakeeper was priceless. It backs up whatever you
> tell it to in real
> time, and it will save as many copies as you want. That,
> also is giving me problems on my new computer. It is good
> for recovering old copies of data that have since been
> overwritten by newer versions as well as for recovering all
> of the latest data. PowerQuest stopped supporting it years
> ago, and I don't know of a substitute.
>
> I am running XP Home SP2. Can anyone help me with
> this.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:59:59 AM

I probably don't have the 8.01 patch. I installed it from my original
PowerQuest disk.

Is there any way to get that patch at this late date?

Do you think that might prevent it from working on my new computer
(Compaq Presario 2210)?

"All Things Mopar" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Gary Burton commented thusly:
>
>> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for
>> replacements:
>>
>> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer.
>> For some reason,
>> it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition
>> and shuts down. Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after
>> they bought out PowerQuest because it is still called
>> version 8.0. I try to avoid Symantec anyway. Acronis has
>> something similar, but I am still looking for alternatives.
>
> I assume you have the 8.01 patch?
>
> In my case, I can only run it with my Win XP Pro SP1 and nVidea
> Geforce graphics card in Safe Mode as it freezes immediately at
> launch. I traced that to the video card and no amount of
> fiddling with nVidia helped. And, as you've found out, tech
> support from Symantec is virtually impossible to get, even if
> you're willing to pay for it.
>>
>> Datakeeper was priceless. It backs up whatever you
>> tell it to in real
>> time, and it will save as many copies as you want. That,
>> also is giving me problems on my new computer. It is good
>> for recovering old copies of data that have since been
>> overwritten by newer versions as well as for recovering all
>> of the latest data. PowerQuest stopped supporting it years
>> ago, and I don't know of a substitute.
>>
>> I am running XP Home SP2. Can anyone help me with
>> this.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:26:30 AM

Gary--

Try Vcom Partition Commander here:

http://www.v-com.com/product/Partition_Commander_Home.h...

Best,

Chad Harris
"Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:
>
> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some reason,
> it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and shuts down.
> Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out PowerQuest
> because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid Symantec anyway.
> Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking for alternatives.
>
> Datakeeper was priceless. It backs up whatever you tell it to in real
> time, and it will save as many copies as you want. That, also is giving
> me problems on my new computer. It is good for recovering old copies of
> data that have since been overwritten by newer versions as well as for
> recovering all of the latest data. PowerQuest stopped supporting it years
> ago, and I don't know of a substitute.
>
> I am running XP Home SP2. Can anyone help me with this.
>
> --
> Gary Burton

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:38:09 AM

There was an update to Partition Magic ver 8.01 about 6 months before
Symantec bought out PowerQuest. It may still be available. I don't know.

I also would like to find a substitute for DataKeeper. It worked great.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:
>
> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some reason,
> it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and shuts down.
> Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out PowerQuest
> because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid Symantec anyway.
> Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking for alternatives.
>
> Datakeeper was priceless. It backs up whatever you tell it to in real
> time, and it will save as many copies as you want. That, also is giving
> me problems on my new computer. It is good for recovering old copies of
> data that have since been overwritten by newer versions as well as for
> recovering all of the latest data. PowerQuest stopped supporting it years
> ago, and I don't know of a substitute.
>
> I am running XP Home SP2. Can anyone help me with this.
>
> --
> Gary Burton

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:38:10 AM

I don't have the update. I looked at the Symantec site under updates
and patches, and it said that there are no updates available. My guess is
that the Symantec version 8.0 is the PowerQuest version 8.01. I emailed
them on the oftchance that they will respond.

I don't want to buy the Symantec product, because of their non-support
policy and the fact that I already bought it. If you learn of a way to get
the update, please let me know.

Thanks!

That DataKeeper is a dream, isn't it? How could they dump a good
program like that? Doesn't the profit motive work any more?

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o MST4I8mFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> There was an update to Partition Magic ver 8.01 about 6 months before
> Symantec bought out PowerQuest. It may still be available. I don't know.
>
> I also would like to find a substitute for DataKeeper. It worked great.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>
> "Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:
>>
>> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some
>> reason, it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and
>> shuts down. Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out
>> PowerQuest because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid
>> Symantec anyway. Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking
>> for alternatives.
>>
>> Datakeeper was priceless. It backs up whatever you tell it to in real
>> time, and it will save as many copies as you want. That, also is giving
>> me problems on my new computer. It is good for recovering old copies of
>> data that have since been overwritten by newer versions as well as for
>> recovering all of the latest data. PowerQuest stopped supporting it
>> years ago, and I don't know of a substitute.
>>
>> I am running XP Home SP2. Can anyone help me with this.
>>
>> --
>> Gary Burton

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:46:09 AM

Gary Burton wrote:
> I probably don't have the 8.01 patch. I installed it from my
> original PowerQuest disk.
>
> Is there any way to get that patch at this late date?
>
> Do you think that might prevent it from working on my new computer
> (Compaq Presario 2210)?

Try here:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thank you very much!!!!

I installed the patch. Regrettably it still doesn't work on my new
machine; but it was a good try. You are much better at using that Symantec
site than I am.

news:o wPu3u8mFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Gary Burton wrote:
>> I probably don't have the 8.01 patch. I installed it from my
>> original PowerQuest disk.
>>
>> Is there any way to get that patch at this late date?
>>
>> Do you think that might prevent it from working on my new computer
>> (Compaq Presario 2210)?
>
> Try here:
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_...
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 8, 2005 2:57:13 AM

Gary Burton wrote:
> I don't have the update. I looked at the Symantec site under
> updates and patches, and it said that there are no updates available.
> My guess is that the Symantec version 8.0 is the PowerQuest version
> 8.01. I emailed them on the oftchance that they will respond.
>
> I don't want to buy the Symantec product, because of their
> non-support policy and the fact that I already bought it. If you
> learn of a way to get the update, please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
>
> That DataKeeper is a dream, isn't it? How could they dump a good
> program like that? Doesn't the profit motive work any more?

So this suggestion wasn't it?
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
August 8, 2005 2:57:14 AM

Yes it was. I replied to your other message. My timing was off.
Thanks again!

news:o 2m7D18mFHA.2860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Gary Burton wrote:
>> I don't have the update. I looked at the Symantec site under
>> updates and patches, and it said that there are no updates available.
>> My guess is that the Symantec version 8.0 is the PowerQuest version
>> 8.01. I emailed them on the oftchance that they will respond.
>>
>> I don't want to buy the Symantec product, because of their
>> non-support policy and the fact that I already bought it. If you
>> learn of a way to get the update, please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> That DataKeeper is a dream, isn't it? How could they dump a good
>> program like that? Doesn't the profit motive work any more?
>
> So this suggestion wasn't it?
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_...
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 8, 2005 4:03:42 AM

"Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:
>
> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some reason,
> it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and shuts down.
> Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out PowerQuest
> because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid Symantec anyway.
> Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking for alternatives.

You found it. Acronis. I had a similar problem and the Acronis disc
partition program worked like a dream. The image backup is superior also.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:09:50 AM

Gary,

The best, and most reliable way, to use Partition Magic is from the 2 floppy
set you can create during the programs install procedure, or within the
program itself - after it is installed. I have been using it like this for
years without a problem. As with a lot of low level maintenance tasks, if
you have logical, or physical, disk corruption you may have problems.

The safest method is to backup your important files and run chkdsk /f on the
drives you intend to be working with, before you use Partition Magic from
the boot floppies. Don't run the program from the Window interface.

--

> Thank you very much!!!!
>
> I installed the patch. Regrettably it still doesn't work on my new
> machine; but it was a good try. You are much better at using that
> Symantec site than I am.
>

> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o wPu3u8mFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Gary Burton wrote:
>>> I probably don't have the 8.01 patch. I installed it from my
>>> original PowerQuest disk.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to get that patch at this late date?
>>>
>>> Do you think that might prevent it from working on my new computer
>>> (Compaq Presario 2210)?
>>
>> Try here:
>> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_...
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 8, 2005 2:21:31 PM

I have PM 8 Version 8.01 (Build 1274) 14/03/2003) it works perfectly on
my XP pro SP2 system and I have Acronis which is not quite as good for this
task though it is great for backing up to images.

--
Uncle John
"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

> "Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:
>>
>> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some
>> reason, it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and
>> shuts down. Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out
>> PowerQuest because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid
>> Symantec anyway. Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking
>> for alternatives.
>
> You found it. Acronis. I had a similar problem and the Acronis disc
> partition program worked like a dream. The image backup is superior also.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:00:26 PM

Gary,

Recently, I also had problems with PartitionMagic which refused to
handle a disk having an invalid partition table. I have tried many tools
and could not solve the problem until I gave a try to BootIt NG

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

Very nice tool. It helped me a lot. You can try it for free in
maintenance mode. It's not only a partition manager but also a boot
manager. It can duplicate, move and resize partitions and create disk
images. All this for about USD 33.

--
Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
MainSoft Consulting Services

> I probably don't have the 8.01 patch. I installed it from my original
> PowerQuest disk.
>
> Is there any way to get that patch at this late date?

Yep (Norton also pulled the excelent video "how to" that power quest had)

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/partition-magic-...

> Do you think that might prevent it from working on my new computer
> (Compaq Presario 2210)?
>
> "All Things Mopar" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> Gary Burton commented thusly:
>>
>>> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for
>>> replacements:
>>>
>>> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer.
>>> For some reason,
>>> it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition
>>> and shuts down. Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after
>>> they bought out PowerQuest because it is still called
>>> version 8.0. I try to avoid Symantec anyway. Acronis has
>>> something similar, but I am still looking for alternatives.
>>
>> I assume you have the 8.01 patch?
>>
>> In my case, I can only run it with my Win XP Pro SP1 and nVidea
>> Geforce graphics card in Safe Mode as it freezes immediately at
>> launch. I traced that to the video card and no amount of
>> fiddling with nVidia helped. And, as you've found out, tech
>> support from Symantec is virtually impossible to get, even if
>> you're willing to pay for it.
>>>
>>> Datakeeper was priceless. It backs up whatever you
>>> tell it to in real
>>> time, and it will save as many copies as you want. That,
>>> also is giving me problems on my new computer. It is good
>>> for recovering old copies of data that have since been
>>> overwritten by newer versions as well as for recovering all
>>> of the latest data. PowerQuest stopped supporting it years
>>> ago, and I don't know of a substitute.
>>>
>>> I am running XP Home SP2. Can anyone help me with
>>> this.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:38:07 PM

PartitionMagic also worked perfectly on my old computer, which is WinXP
Home, SP2.

I have no idea what the deal is with my new machine, but DataKeeper also
won't work. Yet I don't seem to have problems with any of my other
software. My new machine is a Compaq Presario 2210.

"Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
>I have PM 8 Version 8.01 (Build 1274) 14/03/2003) it works perfectly on
>my XP pro SP2 system and I have Acronis which is not quite as good for this
>task though it is great for backing up to images.
>
> --
> Uncle John
> "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:
>>>
>>> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some
>>> reason, it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and
>>> shuts down. Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out
>>> PowerQuest because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid
>>> Symantec anyway. Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking
>>> for alternatives.
>>
>> You found it. Acronis. I had a similar problem and the Acronis disc
>> partition program worked like a dream. The image backup is superior
>> also.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:52:57 PM

Chkdsk /f did it!!!

Why the heck didn't I thik of that???

Your suggestion of operating it externally was also a good one, but it
looks like I don't have to.

> Gary,
>
> The best, and most reliable way, to use Partition Magic is from the 2
> floppy set you can create during the programs install procedure, or within
> the program itself - after it is installed. I have been using it like this
> for years without a problem. As with a lot of low level maintenance tasks,
> if you have logical, or physical, disk corruption you may have problems.
>
> The safest method is to backup your important files and run chkdsk /f on
> the drives you intend to be working with, before you use Partition Magic
> from the boot floppies. Don't run the program from the Window interface.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>
> "Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you very much!!!!
>>
>> I installed the patch. Regrettably it still doesn't work on my new
>> machine; but it was a good try. You are much better at using that
>> Symantec site than I am.
>>

>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o wPu3u8mFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>>> Try here:
>>> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP
>>> --
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:54:20 PM

I downloaded the trial version, and it wouldn't work. Part of the
wizzard that I need was greyed out. I don't know if the function was
disabled for the trial version or if it just won't work on my machine. I
emailed Acronis, but haven't gotten a reply yet. There is something picky
about my machine.

Thanks to Richard Urban, I have PartitionMagic working now.

I appreciate your input.

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

> "Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:
>>
>> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some
>> reason, it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and
>> shuts down. Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out
>> PowerQuest because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid
>> Symantec anyway. Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking
>> for alternatives.
>
> You found it. Acronis. I had a similar problem and the Acronis disc
> partition program worked like a dream. The image backup is superior also.

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:23:48 AM

Thanks to Richard Urban, I have PartionMagic working now!!!!

"Gary Burton" <burton.garyNOSPAM@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> I loved these old programs, but now I am looking for replacements:
>
> PartitionMagic 8.0 will not work on my new computer. For some reason,
> it sees a lot of errors when I try to resize a partition and shuts down.
> Apparently Symantec never upgraded it after they bought out PowerQuest
> because it is still called version 8.0. I try to avoid Symantec anyway.
> Acronis has something similar, but I am still looking for alternatives.
>
> Datakeeper was priceless. It backs up whatever you tell it to in real
> time, and it will save as many copies as you want. That, also is giving
> me problems on my new computer. It is good for recovering old copies of
> data that have since been overwritten by newer versions as well as for
> recovering all of the latest data. PowerQuest stopped supporting it years
> ago, and I don't know of a substitute.
>
> I am running XP Home SP2. Can anyone help me with this.
>
> --
> Gary Burton

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:22:27 AM

> I downloaded the trial version, and it wouldn't work. Part of the
> wizzard that I need was greyed out.

Unfortunately, the Acronis trial versions are not fully functional. They
only provide them to get a sense of the interface, etc.

I am glad you got the now horrible Partition Magic to work. I used it for
many years until Symantec ruined it.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:03:35 AM

Glad to assist!