Duron 1.3 or T-Bird 1.2

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
Hey everyone. I'm putting together an ECS Desknote(assuming I can ever get in touch w/their customer service for an RMA) and I have a question. I have an extra Duron 1.3 and an extra T-Bird 1.2 laying around. I'm going to put one of these 2 CPUs in, but I'm not sure which one I should use. Any opinions? Does the Duron 1.3 run cooler than the T-Bird 1.2? If it does, I might go with that just due to the fact that it'll run cooler. Thanks for any opinions!

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Yes the Duron will run cooler, but the tbird will run faster.

I've never heard of an ECS desknote. What chipset is your mobo using?

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
ur duron 1.3 will run coolwe but now by a whole lot......maybe a difference of like 4 or 5 degrees.........

ur betetr off sticking in the 1.2Ghz T-Bird...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Let me get this straight. You're trying to build a laptop computer with a desktop CPU? I'm not even sure if that'll work. Aside from the heat issue and the voltage issue, is it even pin compatible? The mobile processors usually have different pinouts.

Then again I know absolutely nothing about building a laptop. Is this one of those "desktop replacement" mobo's that are able to take a desktop CPU instead of a mobile one?

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
well, yeah the Tbird will run faster because it runs at a 133mhz front side bus, while the duron runs at 100. er, unless they changed it.. my duron 1gig ran at 100fsb..

plus the tbird has a larger cache...256k while the duron only has 128..lol unless they changed that as well with teh newer durons

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
Yup, you got it. It doesn't have a battery, so it has to be plugged in. I alwyas used my laptop plugged in anyways so no biggie there. And it takes desktop CPUs and RAM. So basically I just took the CPU and DDR outta my old system that I didn't even have hooked up and tossed it into this desknote. They're really a good idea. I know so many people that have extra parts laying around. The only downside they have besides the battery is that they don't take 3.5" hard drives or have PCMCIA slots. They're nice though. I think I'll really like it if I can get one working.