Athlon 2600+ vs. Pentium 4 2.53

mac404

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
Hello everybody. I just had a quick question, and it's about an upcoming system that I'm getting (may be as early as today if I 'm lucky). First off I'd like to note it is fom either Compaq or HP (don't laugh quite yet.... ok now you can). Choice is either between these two (a little flexibility, as their are "Creation Station" ones).
both have: 512mb ram (PC 2700 for Pentium 4, 2100 for Athlon), 120/80gb hard drive (7200rpm), some cheapo speakers, and an integrated sound card (Sound Blaster Live 5.1 value for an extra 30)...

Pentium 4 2.53 ghz has a GeForce 4 ti4200.

Athlon 2600+ has a Radeon 9700 Pro (or more like you could add it for an extra 300 or so...)

Both end up being almost the same price (Athlon is about 40 more expensive, but also comes with the cool slots on the front to put your digital camera media in).

I know the Athlon would perform better in games because of the gfx card, but how about in everyday things? Much of a difference? And if I did overclock, what could I expect of either?

That's about it for now. Any input is appreciated. Don't know the mobo's of either (will ask when we buy), but hopefully it isn't something like a KT333.

<font color=red>The all new GeForce FX-</font color=red>
<font color=blue>The only factory-overclocked vacuum cleaner, complete with upholstery attachment!!!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The amd system would own that one.

Basically, the only time you would notice the difference is in gaming practically, where the videocard comes in.

word dosent need 2ghz+ to run instantly.

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:

dhlucke

Polypheme
The Athlon 2600+ with the Radeon 9700 Pro is your only choice. The only thing I don't understand is why you would go with PC2100.

Actually the other thing I don't understand is why you would go with HP or Compaq. That's a mistake.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>

mac404

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
Lol, if only I couldn build my own. My dad doesn't like the idea of my building a computer (even though I'm sure I could). The only thing I can do is make it as good as possible. Can't change it to anything other than PC2100, and I'd have a hard time explaining the need for PC2700 on a 133mhz FSB computer (it's the 2.16ghz Athlon, not the 166mhz FSB 2.03 or whatever it was). We ended up going for the Athlon, I figured I'd just ask in case somebody wanted to try to prove me wrong. I know some people were saying that the rating system has been getting more lenient towards not being quite right with the newer processors. Just making sure there wouldn't really be much of a difference.

And also to say ha!! to all those people with measly GeForce 4's....

It's actually a fairly decent computer, and for just over $1000, not extremely overpriced (by OEM standards, at least). Now I just need to look for a fairly cheap 15" flat panel, and I'll be set.

<font color=red>The all new GeForce FX-</font color=red>
<font color=blue>The only factory-overclocked vacuum cleaner, complete with upholstery attachment!!!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mac404 on 02/20/03 08:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RCPilot

Champion
HP, Compaq Whew. Your getting a lot less that way in my opinion. I hope that you don't plan on pushing, or adding anything to a rig like that. Not to mention all the basterdized BS you'll have to live with using their OS's. Don't ever plan on doing a clean install unless you buy a real OS. I won't work on them anymore because of what I listed above. That's just my $.02 on it.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!