Cannot access certain sites like Google, Hotmail

I've been having this problem for 2 weeks already. I can't access
www.google.com or log into my hotmail on my laptop at home. The
operations timed out. All other computers have no problems, including
the desktop accessible the same router at home. Certain other random
sites are inaccessible too.

I tried pinging www.google.com (which resolves to www.l.google.com at
66.102.7.147) and it failed. Then I tried pinging google.com
(216.239.57.99), and it worked.

I've read that it could be the QHost trojan, but i ran Symantec's
cleaning tool and it said none detected. I've also scanned with Spybot,
Ad-aware, and AVG Anti-Virus, but all were ok. I have ZoneAlarm running
all the time.

It fails on both IE and firefox.

Any clues?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Try run all your Anti Parasite programs on Safe Mode. Make sure all their Icons (to
launch) are on your desktop. Upgrade them first before using on Safe Mode. Use also:
CWShredder or read more here: http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm .

hierro77@hotmail.com wrote:

|>I've been having this problem for 2 weeks already. I can't access
|>www.google.com or log into my hotmail on my laptop at home. The
|>operations timed out. All other computers have no problems, including
|>the desktop accessible the same router at home. Certain other random
|>sites are inaccessible too.

In a Dos Window type in:
ipconfig /flushdns

See if that might work.

--
http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

<hierro77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been having this problem for 2 weeks already. I can't access
> www.google.com or log into my hotmail on my laptop at home. The
> operations timed out. All other computers have no problems, including
> the desktop accessible the same router at home. Certain other random
> sites are inaccessible too.
>
> I tried pinging www.google.com (which resolves to www.l.google.com at
> 66.102.7.147) and it failed. Then I tried pinging google.com
> (216.239.57.99), and it worked.
>
> I've read that it could be the QHost trojan, but i ran Symantec's
> cleaning tool and it said none detected. I've also scanned with Spybot,
> Ad-aware, and AVG Anti-Virus, but all were ok. I have ZoneAlarm running
> all the time.
>
> It fails on both IE and firefox.
>
> Any clues?

Look in your HOSTS file located on c:\windows\system32\Drivers\etc, there
may be an entry like this

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx www.google.com

where the x's are an ip address or a web site.

If www.google.com is located there, remove the entry. The same for
www.hotmail.com. You may have to unhide files and folders in your Folder
Options located in the Control Panel.

--
William

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <hierro77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've been having this problem for 2 weeks already. I can't access
>> www.google.com or log into my hotmail on my laptop at home. The
>> operations timed out. All other computers have no problems, including
>> the desktop accessible the same router at home. Certain other random
>> sites are inaccessible too.
>>
>> I tried pinging www.google.com (which resolves to www.l.google.com at
>> 66.102.7.147) and it failed. Then I tried pinging google.com
>> (216.239.57.99), and it worked.
>>
>> I've read that it could be the QHost trojan, but i ran Symantec's
>> cleaning tool and it said none detected. I've also scanned with Spybot,
>> Ad-aware, and AVG Anti-Virus, but all were ok. I have ZoneAlarm running
>> all the time.
>>
>> It fails on both IE and firefox.
>>
>> Any clues?
>>

> Look in your HOSTS file located on c:\windows\system32\Drivers\etc, there
> may be an entry like this
>
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx www.google.com
>
> where the x's are an ip address or a web site.
>
> If www.google.com is located there, remove the entry. The same for
> www.hotmail.com. You may have to unhide files and folders in your Folder
> Options located in the Control Panel.

I failed to mention you can open and view the HOSTS file by notepad.

--
William