I have Windows XP home SP2. My CD writer is a HP model cd16b and I have
had it for 2 years without any problems.
It is currently unable to read any CD's. The drawer keeps opening and when
closed the light keeps flashing and it opens again. This is with or without
a disk. When this happens "My Computer" file stops responding and I have to
end the task in my Windows task manager. I have tried Andy MsFaddens
website for CD recordable FAQ, troubleshooting in my "help and support
centre", uninstalling and re-installing, and updating. In properties it
indicates that the device is working properly. I have noticed that when in
autoplay I change "music files" to something else it always automatically
returns to music files each time. The unit is working correctly in another
computer.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Has there been any other hardware changes (ie new hard drive, etc) It sounds
as though there might be a hardware conflict. I would suggest playing with
the jumper settings and checking it originally set to cs (cable select) and
setting to master or slave (depending on system configuration) might help.

"Killian" wrote:

> I have Windows XP home SP2. My CD writer is a HP model cd16b and I have
> had it for 2 years without any problems.
> It is currently unable to read any CD's. The drawer keeps opening and when
> closed the light keeps flashing and it opens again. This is with or without
> a disk. When this happens "My Computer" file stops responding and I have to
> end the task in my Windows task manager. I have tried Andy MsFaddens
> website for CD recordable FAQ, troubleshooting in my "help and support
> centre", uninstalling and re-installing, and updating. In properties it
> indicates that the device is working properly. I have noticed that when in
> autoplay I change "music files" to something else it always automatically
> returns to music files each time. The unit is working correctly in another
> computer.
> Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your reply Keith.
No, there have been no hardware changes except for testing the CD writer in
another computer and back. My HP pc is still in its original condition.
The only recent software change involved the installation of McAfee
Antivirus 2005 and this caused a problem with my Outlook Express. Only by
disabling the McAFee email scan option could I access my email function
again.
I am only an amateur with PC's and your suggestion re; jumper settings, cs,
and master or slave are unfamiliar to me. I am at a loss about this
situation as I believe that replacing the CD writer with a new one or a DVD
recorder may only result in the same problem.