Status
Not open for further replies.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hello folks

A few years back I decided to get back into photography after a 20 year break (much had changed in that time) and after reading countless reviews I purchased a Nikon D40x (many reviews suggested this was a good entry level dslr) with a couple of kit lenses. Quickly grew tired of the limitations of the bundled kit lenses and picked up a good 50mm f1.8.
My problem now is that I feel the D40x has taken me as far as it can, its still good, but I'm really starting to miss some of the more advanced features that are available in the higher models and am now looking at the D300S. I also need better glass, specifically looking at the nikkor 14-24 f2.8G ED.
My question (finally I hear you groan) is it better to upgrade the body and get the D300s now or go with the lens and upgrade the body later?
Many thanks for taking the time to read and looking forward to any and all replies.

Solution
well, good glass on a cheap body gives better pictures than cheap glass on a high end body.
I personally would go for glass because if you get a new body, your still stuck with the 18-55 (or whatever) and a 50mm 1.8.

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
well, good glass on a cheap body gives better pictures than cheap glass on a high end body.
I personally would go for glass because if you get a new body, your still stuck with the 18-55 (or whatever) and a 50mm 1.8.

Solution

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Cheers for that, that's sort of the way I was leaning for the reasons you described and was looking for confirmation more than anything else. I do have a couple of good lenses other than the 50mm (micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8 and Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8) but neither are suitable for landscape, which is the area I want to get into. Many thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.