NO SOUND!!

I reinstalled windows XPP I do not have my Driver disks and i now have no
sound..how do i find out what driver i need??
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about sound

    Raeligh wrote:
    > I reinstalled windows XPP I do not have my Driver disks and i now
    > have no sound..how do i find out what driver i need??

    Things to think of before... eh?

    Well, you either open your computer, look on a receipt, or contact those you
    purchased it from. You could (if a Dell or some similar big - name) likely
    use the Serial number off of it on their web page and get the specs and
    drivers that way.

    You must know what sound card you have. Look on your receipt/invoice for
    the computer - ask the people you bought the system from, open it up and
    look, etc.

    There are applications out there that can identify what hardware you have,
    but I think they all depend on a properly installed system - as I think they
    pull the information from the registry. Perhaps they do not - so I will
    recommend you try two different ones:

    EVEREST Home Edition
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

    Belarc Advisor
    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
    hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
    have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
    Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

    NVidia Video Card Drivers

    ATI Video Card Drivers
    http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

    Creative Labs Sound Device
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

    C-Media Sound Device
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

    Good luck!

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Also keep in mind that a lot of 'audio cards' are built into the
    motherboard. So if this is the case and you can find the motherboard model
    and manufacturer there's a very good chance they will have the driver on
    their website.

    > Raeligh wrote:
    >> I reinstalled windows XPP I do not have my Driver disks and i now
    >> have no sound..how do i find out what driver i need??
    >
    > Things to think of before... eh?
    >
    > Well, you either open your computer, look on a receipt, or contact those
    > you purchased it from. You could (if a Dell or some similar big - name)
    > likely use the Serial number off of it on their web page and get the specs
    > and drivers that way.
    >
    > You must know what sound card you have. Look on your receipt/invoice for
    > the computer - ask the people you bought the system from, open it up and
    > look, etc.
    >
    > There are applications out there that can identify what hardware you have,
    > but I think they all depend on a properly installed system - as I think
    > they
    > pull the information from the registry. Perhaps they do not - so I will
    > recommend you try two different ones:
    >
    > EVEREST Home Edition
    > http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3
    >
    > Belarc Advisor
    > http://belarc.com/free_download.html
    >
    > Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
    > hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
    > have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
    > Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...
    >
    > NVidia Video Card Drivers
    > http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    >
    > ATI Video Card Drivers
    > http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html