I have a 700m notebook. I keep getting prompted to update Java.

Any reason why I should not update it. I am not sure what Java does.

Thenak, Allen

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

C & A Bredt <abredt@zzzsocal.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a 700m notebook. I keep getting prompted to update Java.
> Any reason why I should not update it. I am not sure what Java does.
> Thenak, Allen

No specific reason not to, other than avoiding the .0 curse. So far
Java 5.0 is stable.

If you decide not to upgrade, go to the control panel, look for Java,
dbl click it, and uncheck the automatic updates.

"Brian" <brian@rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
>C & A Bredt <abredt@zzzsocal.rr.com> wrote:
>> I have a 700m notebook. I keep getting prompted to update Java.
>> Any reason why I should not update it. I am not sure what Java does.
>> Thenak, Allen
>
> No specific reason not to, other than avoiding the .0 curse. So far
> Java 5.0 is stable.
>
> If you decide not to upgrade, go to the control panel, look for Java,
> dbl click it, and uncheck the automatic updates.

Thanks for the info.

Can you briefly tell me what Java Does?

Thanks. Allen

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

C and A Bredt <abredtXYZ@xyzsocal.rr.com> wrote:
> "Brian" <brian@rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
>>C & A Bredt <abredt@zzzsocal.rr.com> wrote:
>>> I have a 700m notebook. I keep getting prompted to update Java.
>>> Any reason why I should not update it. I am not sure what Java does.
>>> Thenak, Allen
>>
>> No specific reason not to, other than avoiding the .0 curse. So far
>> Java 5.0 is stable.
>>
>> If you decide not to upgrade, go to the control panel, look for Java,
>> dbl click it, and uncheck the automatic updates.
>>

> Thanks for the info.

> Can you briefly tell me what Java Does?

> Thanks. Allen

It's like Flash in some respects. It acts like a browser plugin
and allows your browser to use trinket programs called applets.
Security limitations pretty much cripple applets. But there are
some cool space invader games out there. :) There are also a
lot of calculators, animations, etc.

Java can also be a more heavy duty application technology. There are
helpdesk systems written on Java, TN3270 emulators, student system
software, etc. These are more like traditional applications like
Word and Excel, only they need Java running in order to run
themselves.

Beyond that, Java's best use is server technology. It's not related
to the desktop at all.

Java competes with (and predates) Microsoft's .NET technology. Both
run on what's called a Virtual Machine. It's an emulated machine
that abstracts a lot of worries with hardware. The developer only
need worry with how the Virtual Machine works, not the real machine
underneath. The other plus is that the software written for the
virtual machine can be used (theoretically) anywhere Java runs.

If you want to know more, visit www.wikipedia.com and search for
Java. They'll have much more indepth info.

> Can you briefly tell me what Java Does?

Its a programming language written by Sun, and allows a program written
on one type of hardware or operating system to work on another without
changing the program. It can be used in anything from games to office
applications, and is often used on websites to animate menus.

Microsoft didn`t like losing their monopoly and tried to bastardise the
standard by making their programming utilities write "wrong" code, so it
would only work on a Windows based machine. Sun took them to court and
won, and now Microsoft no longer ship Java as standard (IIRC)

The best java to get is the official one from http://www.java.com

TRENDING THREADS