Should I run Windows 7 home 32 or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbowl21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
I have a Dell Inspirion 1501 that I want to upgrade. Its currently running Vista Premium and I hate it. I want to upgrade the processor and RAM. Dell tells me the most I can do is 2bg from the 1 is has now. So with that being said I read where you need at least 6 gb for Windows 7 64 to be worth it. Any thoughts...... :heink:

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I don't think you need 6GB for 64-bit to be worth it, in fact if you have over 3GB you need to run 64-bit in order to use it properly. However since your machine is limited to only 2GB anyway there is probably no need to run 64-bit, although I run it on 2GB and it works fine. Fortunately unlike when 64-bit first came out for XP you no longer have to buy a seperate version, two discs will come in the 7 package and you simply boot from the one you wish to install. At this point I would be asking if there was some reason not to run 64-bit.

Just to clarify, that's only true if buying the "retail" versions. OEM versions are either 32 or 64 bit.

tbowl21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
What about if i switch CPU, will that effect how much RAM i can install? Or does that depend on MOBO? Also taking those two into consideration, the amount of money i would spend I should just get a new one?

tbowl21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks rodney..but to clarify..I meant if i upgrade the processor in my current Inspirion would that allow me to install more RAM past the 2GB i can now, or is that dependant on the Motherboard. And if it does go by the MOBO, then that means I should just get a new laptop right with WIN 7 64 and enough ram to run it?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
It is dependent on your motherboard. You're limited to 2 GB with that system.

My Dell Inspiron 1505 also had a 2 GB limit... and it has since been retired. I still have it in a closet for just testing random bullcrap, but it's not suitable (for me at least) as a primary system... hell, I've got a desktop and a laptop since I retired that one.

tbowl21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah i am about to purchase an i5 from HP desktop, but I don't want to just get rid of laptop. I travel a lot being in the military and want something I can lug around but not cry if something happens to it. Just want it to be more functional then it is now. What about processor is there a place to learn what the biggest processor is for that MOBO in the 1501?

Status
Not open for further replies.