Stock fan/heatsink vs performance fan/heatsink

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Is a new fan and heatsink worth the extra money? I bought a new 2700 XP Retail, mainly cuz I don't know what to look for in a heatsink and fan. The number of chioces overwelmed me :). I'm not goin to overclock and I have 4 fans (6 including PS) in my case.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=11-124-002
Will a better fan and heatsink increase performance or stability, or is the stock fine for non-overclocked use?
Any advice would be appreciated. THX

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
stock will be just fine as long as you arent overclocking...so keep the money =]

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
(as said above) Stock is fine, but if you want to overclock or build a less noisy system, the extra cooling ability of a performance heatsink is very useful.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
My main question to you is.....is ur system suffering any instability right now ???

if not than there is no point in getting a new HSF....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Simple rule... you can't over-cool a CPU.

Lifespan and stability is inversely proportional to temperature. *Especially* if you are overclocking.

Buy the best Heat Sink and Fan you can afford.

The ones with the copper inserts and aluminum fins are best... The copper absorbs heat from the CPU and the aluminum fins dissipate the heat from the copper into the air.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, blow big bucks on a state-of-the-art HSF so that maybe your CPU will run for 12 years instead of 10. Well worth the money. Not.

Do you really think Intel and AMD would give you a 3 year warranty on their retail CPUs if the HSFs didn't cool them sufficiently?

If you are doing serious OCing, then fine. Othwerwise, I feel that anything more than the stock HSF is a waste of money.

I have my XP 2400 OCed to 2600 speed with the retail HSF and ASIII, and my temps are fine.

If a PC is running fine with the stock HSF (it ain't broke), then why fix it?

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."