Sign in with
Your question

Benchmark Marathon Article Suggestion

Last response: in CPUs
February 18, 2003 6:40:07 AM

Long time reader, first time poster. Just finished the excellent benchmark marathon article, and thought it was missing something important.

Take a look at the comprehensive comparison chart at the end of the article, and it shows a whole lot of useful information. I'll be holding on to that image for a long time - it summarizes pretty succinctly our modern CPU history. And that's what this article is about, history. But the dates that the CPUs were made available and the adjusted price for each of the CPUs was not included, and both of these aspects are crucial to the history of modern CPU advancement.

In past articles, we have seen charts showing CPU introduction on timelines, and we have seen price/performance ratios too. What I would be interested in knowing, and I don't think I'm alone on this, is a more precise introduction date of each of the CPUs in the article, and what the average consumer would have paid to obtain them when they were at the height of their popularity (adjusting the amount to the current dollar valuation). Then we can all play around with our own charts in our spreadsheet programs of choice, and see how real performance has related to Moore's Law, how prices have gone down, the dramatic story of AMD and Intel leapfroging over eachother year after year. That's what I think the article is about, and it looks like nearly all this information was compiled in order to write the article as it is now. I hope you agree with me, and the article gets an update so that we can see everything about the fascinating history of modern CPU progress.

- B
!