I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
Thanks.
Ron

<qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
> Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
> IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
> Thanks.
> Ron

We have both Firefox and IE on all four computers. All are set with IE
being the default browser. So far so good, no problems. For some sites I
prefer Firefox and for some IE seems to work better.
We haven't tried the Mozilla email program. Possibly someone else can give
you a heads up on it.

Irene,
I have both IE and FireFox. You need to keep (as far as I know) to
access the Windows Update site. I use FireFox for everything else. I
also use Thunderbird. All my Outlook info imported into Thunderbird
without any problem. The same is true of importing all your Favorites
from IE into FireFox's bookmarks. I'm using Thunderbird as my
newsreader, no problem. Now I must also say that I've never really had a
problem with IE or Outlook, they're just more under attack by hackers
and such.
Paul

Irene wrote:
> <qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
>>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
>>IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
>>Thanks.
>>Ron
>>

> We have both Firefox and IE on all four computers. All are set with IE
> being the default browser. So far so good, no problems. For some sites I
> prefer Firefox and for some IE seems to work better.
> We haven't tried the Mozilla email program. Possibly someone else can give
> you a heads up on it.

<qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
> Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
> IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
> Thanks.
> Ron

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

Remove shoes to E-mail.

qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote in news:1119822776.577915.305610
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
> Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
> IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
> Thanks.
> Ron

They can certainly be run at the same time. In fact, there is an extension
(IE View) that I like very much that can be used to launch IE and take it to
the page you are currently on in Firefox - some sites are just poorly
designed so that they function well only when viewed from IE. I use Pegasus
for email, so have no idea about it's email client usage.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

> I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
> Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
> IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?

Firefox is pretty good, although for general browsing I still use an
older Opera 7.x as my default (wasn`t keen on the update to 8.x)

As far as having several browsers, it doesn`t cause a problem, but for
the majority of sites i`d suggest using something other than IE, and only
if the site refuses to work as it should, fall back to IE. Then send a
complaint to the website telling them to right standards compliant code
;-)

Can`t help with the mail side i`m afraid, as I use one called TheBat!
which is about as secure as you can get.

Firefox has some nice plugins that make it a little more "opera alike" -
mouse gestures is a definite one to track down - it makes general
browsing so much easier - you can right click and nudge the mouse left or
right to navigate forwards or back through pages you`ve visited, and
you`ll miss it like crazy if you have to use IE !

qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:
> I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
> Trojans. Anyone have Firefox?

Just a few tens of millions of people.

> Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND IE?

Firefox is alright (I prefer the full suite -- see below); running
multiple browsers simultaneously is no problem

> How would you set the default?

To set a browser as default, it's generally an options (Tools ->
Internet Options for IE, Tools -> Options for FF, Edit Preferences for
the Mozilla Suite).

> How does the email client work?

Just click on an email addresss and it opens the default client (which
is set the same way as above, but with mail clients).

Personally, I prefer the full Mozilla Suite 1.78 (it includes a browser,
email client, WYSIWYG editor, and IRC client -- similar to Netscape
Communitcator 4) over FF, definitely over IE. The benefit of Mozilla
Suite (aka SeaMonkey) over FF & TB or IE & OE is that both the email
client and the browser use the same instance of the rendering engine
(Gecko). This uses less RAM, and keeps things consistent. I also
prefer the look and feel of it.

Paul Schilter > wrote:
> Irene,
> I have both IE and FireFox. You need to keep (as far as I know) to
> access the Windows Update site. I use FireFox for everything else. I
> also use Thunderbird. All my Outlook info imported into Thunderbird
> without any problem. The same is true of importing all your Favorites
> from IE into FireFox's bookmarks. I'm using Thunderbird as my
> newsreader, no problem. Now I must also say that I've never really had a
> problem with IE or Outlook, they're just more under attack by hackers
> and such.
> Paul

I also do use Firefox and Thunderbird

Firefox, I have no real problems with even though there are some sites
that do not run well or even at all with Firefox. Windows Update,
puretracks.com, pcpitstop.com and launch.com to name a few. I have used
Firefox for awhile. I did not like the original Firefox and used the
original Mozilla. I still have the original Mozilla on my computer as I
use it's Composer program to edit my website.

Thunderbird, I do like and was surprised that it imported all my
messages from OE. Eudora, Pegasus and any other email program always
crashed during the import. There is a a couple of problems I have.
1. I like to have my threads in the newsgroups threaded (All posted
Thunderbird only does it in one newsgroup after you tell it to, so you
have to do it for every newsgroup you are in and when you do it, it
expands all of the messages. The option to collapse the thread is in
the view option menu)
2. Sorting of newsgroups. Unless you subscribe to the newsgroup in the
order you want, (ie alphabetical) you have to go into the Thunderbird
folder to edit the listing.
..

I only use OE now for checking hotmail

I use Firefox as my default and IE for updates. Seems to work pretty well
for most sites. Launch.com is one that does not work. I kept Outlook Express
for e-mail as I like the way it is set up but will eventually switch over to
Mozilla's e-mail too. I've had no problems with trojans since I started
using Firefox. Highly recommended!
Andy

<qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
> Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
> IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
> Thanks.
> Ron

I use Firefox except when required by the MS Update web site and a few other web
sites which have bought into Microsoft's perversions of www standards. I like
the tabbed browsing of Firefox... Ben Myers

On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:

>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
>IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
>Thanks.
> Ron

YES! The "tab browsing" is really nice. The browser if a bit faster too.
I have IE still installed but Firefox is set as my default browser. I do
have the IEview/open extension but haven't needed it yet. I do have one
problem and I'm sure there's a fix for it but I haven't investigated it yet.
When I right click on a picture while browsing with Firefox, choose Copy and
try to paste it into an OE message, it doesn't work. I can right click/Copy
the same pix with IE and it works. Anyone happen to know what I need to do?
Monica

>I use Firefox except when required by the MS Update web site and a few
>other web
> sites which have bought into Microsoft's perversions of www standards. I
> like
> the tabbed browsing of Firefox... Ben Myers

william

<qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
> Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
> IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
> Thanks.
> Ron

Mt 2cents to the list. Been using Firefox since they released it and really
like it. The tab browsing is excellent fro my business as I can have
multiple tabs open for vendors while I price shop, and you can get
extensions to do most anything you want. Still need IE for windows updates
and some sites that work better with IE. As for trojans and all that stuff
dont get comfortable with FF. Time will come when the hackers will attack it
like IE. So best thing is be security conscious and develop good habits. FF
has already had two or three patches to fix security issues. A lot of my
financial sites are not compatible with FF so I have written them repeatedly
to become compliant. Just have to wait .

The biggest problem with FF which has not yet been fixed is that it is a
memory hog. The memory usage grows the longer it remains open and as you
surf. You will need to exit and reopen every 3 hours or so to get the most
of it. And contrary to what you might hear I do not believe it to be any
faster than IE for surfing. I find them the same.

For email I still use OE. Thunderbird is very good and behaves like OE but
it does not handle multiple signatures and profiles as good as OE.

Bill

The stand alone follow on to Composer is at http://www.nvu.com/

"William" wrote:
> The biggest problem with FF which has not yet been fixed is
> that it is a memory hog. The memory usage grows the longer
> it remains open and as you surf. You will need to exit and reopen
> every 3 hours or so to get the most of it...

That's called a "memory leak" - buffers get allocated but not
all are returned to the buffer pool or "heap". Over time, the amount
of memory available for buffers shrinks. This can be a very hard
problem to solve if it happens only in rare combinations of usages.
Contact the Firefox authors and let them know about the problem.

*TimDaniels*

william

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "William" wrote:
>> The biggest problem with FF which has not yet been fixed is
>> that it is a memory hog. The memory usage grows the longer
>> it remains open and as you surf. You will need to exit and reopen
>> every 3 hours or so to get the most of it...
>
> That's called a "memory leak" - buffers get allocated but not
> all are returned to the buffer pool or "heap". Over time, the amount
> of memory available for buffers shrinks. This can be a very hard
> problem to solve if it happens only in rare combinations of usages.
> Contact the Firefox authors and let them know about the problem.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Yes thats correct. They already know as many users have reported it.
Hopefully they will fix it in the next major release.

Bill

totalstranger wrote:
> On or about 6/26/2005 9:32 PM, it came to pass that Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
>
>> I did not like the original Firefox and used the original Mozilla. I
>> still have the original Mozilla on my computer as I use it's Composer
>> program to edit my website.
>
> The stand alone follow on to Composer is at http://www.nvu.com/
Thanks

I will give it a try and see if I like it or not

On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:

>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions?

I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!

You need a Firewell, Anti-Virus and Spyware Sniffer with ANY browser.
A previous version of FF had some security issues.

>Can you run both Firefox AND
>IE?

Yes.

>How would you set the default? How does the email client work?

Firefox offers to make itself the default browser when you install it.
I suggest saying "no" until you check it out. I don't use the email
client--didnt' know it had one, in fact. You can go on using OE or
anything else you want.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

curious

Paul Knudsen <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote:

>On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:
>
>>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
>>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions?
>
>I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
>it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!

Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

"Curious" <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote in message
| Paul Knudsen <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote:
|
| >On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:
| >
| >>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
| >>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions?
| >
| >I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
| >it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!
|
| Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer
|
| http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

For those who might take this seriously, this "story" is a complete
fabrication.

Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta has never been available via WUD.

It hasn't been "pulled" and is still available still available at
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx .

Microsoft has *never* advised people to disable automatic updates.

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Curious" <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote in message
> | Paul Knudsen <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote:

> | >I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
> | >it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!
> |
> | Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer
> |
> | http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html
> |

> For those who might take this seriously, this "story" is a complete
> fabrication.
>
> Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta has never been available via WUD.
>
> It hasn't been "pulled" and is still available still available at
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx .
>
> Microsoft has *never* advised people to disable automatic updates.
>

> --
> Doug
>
> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Yes indeed. And this thread, along with the "Trojan" thread has probably
gone on way too long. Much ado about not such a big thing. Mis-information
abounds..........(even though the poster's link was, to most, an obvious
parody).

Stew

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> Microsoft has *never* advised people to disable automatic updates.

The opposate is true, with every system that is ever having a problem
that someone from MS ever has a say about, they say to turn on automatic
updates.

And both Windows XP and the Microsoft update site nag ceaselessly to turn on
automatic updates. Makes me think that Windows is one big zombie program under
the control of Bill Gates and his minions... Ben Myers

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:53:06 -0700, Cyclops <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote:

>HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
>> Microsoft has *never* advised people to disable automatic updates.
>
>The opposate is true, with every system that is ever having a problem
>that someone from MS ever has a say about, they say to turn on automatic
>updates.

In a word, yes. Microsoft has improved the quality of its patches and fixes,
but there are plenty of war stories about automatic updates hosing up a system.
I've lived through several of those war stories myself while attempting to bring
client's systems up to speed, only to be forced to roll back updates to get the
systems right again. Especially noteworthy are the driver "updates" which
replace new drivers direct from the hardware mfrs web site with older ones.

If Microsoft's updates are so flawless, why does the update web site advise you
to back up everything before applying XP SP2.

Finally, if a system is already mucked up with some spyware, adware, trojan or
other unruly beast, Microsoft updates, automatic or not, will often mess up the
system even more.

Microsoft does not have an image anymore to engender trust. What Micrsoft
delivers with its updates is not flawless. Go figure... Ben Myers