To you all benchmark Hoes

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
One thing I can never understand what's up with all the benchmark comparison. It's like guys comparing who has the largest ego. Anyway, what's the point of all this, enlighten me, maybe I will get into it. Otherwise it's just looks plain stupid. "Oh, my machine has 16xxx benchmark, what's yours? 17xxx?? Hm... I need upgrade ASAP!"

Is this for gaming? As far as I know (I play all the latest FPS games) there is not even single game that requires all the power of the recent hardware, you can perfectly run games even on 1.5 Ghz machine with plenty of ram and good vid card. If you noticed the minium requirements are 5 or more times lower then the latest hardware.

Conclusion, no one really needs the latest hardware and those benchmarks or overclocking they are just irrelevant things to do for people who have no life.

dhlucke

Polypheme
That really depends on the game. Your definition of looking good and mine might be very different.

It's amazing how great your graphics look until you see the same game on a better system. Then you realize that the only reason yours looked good before is because you hadn't seen anything better.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I agree with you up to a point - the hordes of people crying their eyes out over their 3DMark 03 scores really do need to get a life.

However, benchmarks do serve a purpose - if I install some CAS 2 memory or overclock my cpu by 150Mhz or overclock my video card or whatever, it is nice to know how much of a difference it makes.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
dhlucke, I think you need to eat this guys brain too or have you already ? :smile:

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I dunno...I had a LAN yesterday and one of my freinds has a XP2600 with a ATI 9700Pro. I have an XP 1700 and a GF3. His system put mine to shame. THe games loaded faster and the ran much faster on his machine. They looked much better as well. He definately had an advantage.

Let's all settle our political differences with a LAN.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
It takes a 2.4Ghz+ P4 or equivalent athlon and a GeForce 4 TI 4600 or equivalent Radeon to run C&C Generals at max detail smoothly in 1280x1024 or higher resolution.

He who has the highest framerate does not die so much.

What this had to do with benchmarking i havn't a friggan clue, but it does dispute yer insane idea bout p4 1.5's being sufficient. I just had to upgrade my 1.7 to a 2.53. Holy cow it made a huge difference.

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm pretty sure I ate his already. I'm up to 1204 brains.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I will admit that benchmarking and upgrading every two months becomes something of an obsession. I hate it when I buy a component--say--a motherboard, and a month later another company releases a new chipset that's 3-5% faster with my processor. Ironically, even if I had the faster motherboard, I might never notice a difference in performance, but my benchmark scores would be higher and that's all that counts!

For the last year or so, I have cooled off substantially in my upgrading and now know there will be a very cool benefit: Next time I upgrade (in three or four months) I will have enough money to buy a high-end motherboard, RAM, processor, and graphics card all at one time, and when I get the system running, I will actually be able to NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE! :) Unlike my previous upgrades where I was improving performance in such small increments it seemed like I was never upgrading. It's like if you buy all kinds of parts for your Honda Civic and install them to gain and extra 30-40 horse-power compared to saving your money and buying an Acura NSX later.

The benchmarks are great though. I still love 'em. Because of benchmarks, I know that the AMD 3000+ with DDR333 really is about 60% faster than my AMD 1800+. Because of benchmarks, I know that the processor pricing does correlate to overall performance. Because of benchmarking, I know that AMD's speed label (3000+) really does correlate pretty closely to Intel's Pentium in mega-hertz.

Benchmarking tools are awesome for judging the relative performance of different system components, but if you fall into the trap--like I did--of constantly upgrading, you will find yourself poorer and more jaded, and your system will never seem as fast as it really is.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
NFC what your bitching about,

Those of us who methodicly bechmark do it for the notoriety, and enjoy a very high performance system. Bragging rights comes with the territory.

And for what?? well I am sponsored by several manufacturers now and most of the stuff I get for free is unreleased hardware that would cost a bloody fortune to maintain my hardware rotation schedule. I rarely keep a machine a month. most motherboards are pulled apart in less than a week and shelved.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Are you allowed to give any of the hardware away? Schools could use it.

<font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well obviously you dont have a big Epenis.
Thats what benchmarking is all about didn't you know?

The 3dmark2001 number returned is a direct representation of the size and girth of you Epenis.

Im against most synthetic benchmarks, especially 3dmark... but the realistic ones like encoding or gaming ones do have their uses... easier to see which product provides the best bang/buck.
And what sort of gaming experience/ speed it should deliver.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Just so you know, "<A HREF="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hoe" target="_new">hoe(s)</A>" are garden instruments,
While "<A HREF="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hos" target="_new">ho(s)</A>" can shake their <A HREF="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arse" target="_new">arse(s)</A>.

Slang. A prostitute.

African American Vernacular English, alteration of <A HREF="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=whore" target="_new">whore</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
who else here thinks fugger is just some fat 45 year old bald guy with an inferiority complex, who has nothing better to do than use his oppressing writing style to make himself look intelligent and superior in computer knowledge?

i could be wrong, but i really dont care lol... you sound like a real asshoole dude.

*prepares for counter flame.. gets pillow for lengthy essay-style read*

=)

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No need to flame you, as many people feel the love in my posts such as yourself. Im not an [-peep-] in RL, in fact I party hard and very easy going demeanor.

I answered this thread because I am one who benchmarks OC systems and this topic was worth replying too.

Lastly, it sounds like you care and you cannot guess worth a damn.

/shrug I hate long posts, I will skip them all together.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I give some stuff away, some stuff gets sent back working and broken.

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
i love benchmarking personnally, its like one gentleman said in the thread, it gives you bragging rights! Darn straight!!!
i love my setup, but im always trying to make it go faster and not change the hardware, but if you ask me, windows 98 is the best for testing on (in my admittitedly limited experience) but explain this..
Windows 98se scores me a nice 13885 in 3dmark 2001se
Windows XP Pro I cant even get near to 13600 in 3dmark 2001se!! with the same darn hardware! how frustrating is that?
my xp1800 with 512mbs and a nice gigabyte 9700 pro is great, its just needs to be faster.. but my question, but with what?
intel or amd? well this is the question that has plagued mankind for centuries... to intel or not to intel...

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...

Makaveli

Splendid
lol I'd spit on a windows 98 CD before putting that OS on my computer. A Very happy windows XP user.

As for williamC. I'm running C&C generals on a 1800+ @ xp2000 (333fsb) @ 1280x960 Haven't seen 1280x1024 in the menu. At high detail on a Radeon 9700 pro. Runs great.
I don't think a P4 2ghz is needed just a good videocard!

My specs
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172</A>

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
well, i must admit, xp pro looks better, but seems to slow down my system, like i said, i cant get no where near the performance of my 98 3dmark 2001se score.. something must be up.. and that was with older drivers!
i did some tests when i had 98 installed, in 3dmark 2000/1 i was scoring sometimes 1000 or more points in 98 that i was in xp.. i have no idea why.. im still trying to break the 14k barrier with my system.. i think i need a faster cpu to be honest!

If it blows up? Opps.... I must have been doing something wrong

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
wow phill21, 285 points between the two. Your right, stick with Win98 so you can 'not notice' the difference between the two (sarcasm).

I mean its nice to be the best, but if you use windows 98 instead of XP for 300 measly points? thats a bit sad.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I like 98. It might crash all the time, but:
a) I don't have to f**k about 'activating' it...
b) it <i>is</i> faster
c) XP is <i>not</i> as stable and marvellous as people think...

I work on a win98 PC. It's fairly stable. I've been working on an XP machine for a customer for a couple of weeks, and can honestly say that although my (win98) PC has had to deal with a lot more (Compiling stuff, database crunching, and of course playing mp3s all the time :)
the XP one has needed rebooting much more often.

Hell, I would've stuck with Win95 if I hadn't needed win98 to install some drivers for something.....

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile:

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
well since most people go for ice cooling or what have you, i went for a different os :)
i never said i AM using 98, i said i WAS using 98.
I have xp pro installed which is ok, but i dont like as much as 98...
isnt it ok to have a preference?

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
isnt it all about bragging rights as well? or well thats what i heard anyway...285 points? its more along the lines of 500 :tongue: