Can I transfer my hard drive data using an external hard drive from a Toshiba to

Status
Not open for further replies.

philstaley

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Greetings,

My Windows 7 running Toshiba laptop was damaged, and I can no longer use it. The charger jack was broken after a year of use. This is apparently a common problem in Toshibas, so I want to replace it with a Windows 7 running HP laptop. I know that the different brands have different drivers and things, so I want to make sure of this before I make my purchase. Can I transfer my hard drive data onto the new HP from my Toshiba by way of an external hard drive?

Solution
Absolutely. You will not be able to transfer the OS, or Windows 7 itself, but you will be able to port over all your existing info as long as you can power up the hard drive either by way of the Toshiba itself, or removing the hard drive and putting it into a desktop computer.

Paul

HPrometheus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Absolutely. You will not be able to transfer the OS, or Windows 7 itself, but you will be able to port over all your existing info as long as you can power up the hard drive either by way of the Toshiba itself, or removing the hard drive and putting it into a desktop computer.

Paul

Solution

philstaley

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Thank you very much, Paul. I was able to get a friend with more skills than me to back up my Toshiba onto that hard drive already. Just wanted to make sure I could switch brands and still transfer my data. Again, thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.