applications sometimes not starting, but visible in task m..

I'm using XP Professional, and the last week I noticed that applications
(such as IE, Media Player, ... ) sometimes do not 'start'. Sometimes I have
click the icon (in the start menu) 2 or 3 times to get the application.
When I then check the task manager I can see all the instances I have
started, but only 1 of them is really running.

Can anyone explain what is happening, or point to a tool to help me
find out what is happening to these applications ? I have some programming
experience...

Hi,

Odd behavior such as this is often attributed to spy/ad programs that have
insinuated their way onto the system. Download, install, update, and scan
the system with these:

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

From MVP Richard Harper on cleaning up malware infested systems:
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

This one can help you avoid these programs from being installed in the first
place:
Spyware Blaster: www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827315

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Henk Z" <HenkZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP Professional, and the last week I noticed that applications
> (such as IE, Media Player, ... ) sometimes do not 'start'. Sometimes I
> have
> click the icon (in the start menu) 2 or 3 times to get the application.
> When I then check the task manager I can see all the instances I have
> started, but only 1 of them is really running.
>
> Can anyone explain what is happening, or point to a tool to help me
> find out what is happening to these applications ? I have some programming
> experience...

Hi, thank you for your reply !
I'll try it out this evening - I'm normally very careful
when installing new software, I wonder how spyware
or malware could have wound up on my PC.

Henk Z

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Odd behavior such as this is often attributed to spy/ad programs that have
> insinuated their way onto the system. Download, install, update, and scan
> the system with these:
>
> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>
> From MVP Richard Harper on cleaning up malware infested systems:
> http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
>
> This one can help you avoid these programs from being installed in the first
> place:
> Spyware Blaster: www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827315
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Henk Z" <HenkZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using XP Professional, and the last week I noticed that applications
> > (such as IE, Media Player, ... ) sometimes do not 'start'. Sometimes I
> > have
> > click the icon (in the start menu) 2 or 3 times to get the application.
> > When I then check the task manager I can see all the instances I have
> > started, but only 1 of them is really running.
> >
> > Can anyone explain what is happening, or point to a tool to help me
> > find out what is happening to these applications ? I have some programming
> > experience...

I've tried some spam-and malware detection programs (Adaware & Spybot)
and they haven't found anything wrong. Since then I have noticed that there
have been 3 or 4 posts about similar problems recently. A certain John Perry
also posted about internet explorer instances not being visible, but present
in
Task manager.
I have installed WinDBG and symbols. I don't know the tool that well, but
when I want to open Internet Explorer with it, the problem doesn't occur.
And when I attach it to the running process, there isn't that much information
to check.
I'll try some more this evening

"Henk Z" wrote:

> Hi, thank you for your reply !
> I'll try it out this evening - I'm normally very careful
> when installing new software, I wonder how spyware
> or malware could have wound up on my PC.
>
> Henk Z
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Odd behavior such as this is often attributed to spy/ad programs that have
> > insinuated their way onto the system. Download, install, update, and scan
> > the system with these:
> >
> > Adaware www.lavasoft.de
> > Spybot www.safer-networking.org
> >
> > From MVP Richard Harper on cleaning up malware infested systems:
> > http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
> >
> > This one can help you avoid these programs from being installed in the first
> > place:
> > Spyware Blaster: www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
> >
> > Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Henk Z" <HenkZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm using XP Professional, and the last week I noticed that applications
> > > (such as IE, Media Player, ... ) sometimes do not 'start'. Sometimes I
> > > have
> > > click the icon (in the start menu) 2 or 3 times to get the application.
> > > When I then check the task manager I can see all the instances I have
> > > started, but only 1 of them is really running.
> > >
> > > Can anyone explain what is happening, or point to a tool to help me
> > > find out what is happening to these applications ? I have some programming
> > > experience...

I "found" the problem. No worms or viruses, but a badly written
dll in the package IconPackager. IconPackager is part of a set
of programs to change the look of XP (to resemble OsX, or other
style). The previous version of the dll in question (v 3.00a) was
the guilty one. And merely uninstalling the program would not
help. But since an upgrade to v3.00b (or something),
no more false starts. If anyone is using stardock (and/or iconPackager),
try updating.

Thanks for your help, everyone who responded to my post. I will be using
Ad-Aware and Spybot in the future; it's very useful to find any _potential_
spyware.

Henk Z