Cropping Photos

How come when I crop a photo (usually to save space when saving it to disk)
the picture gets larger? Logic tells me if you crop a picture, it should
get smaller! For example, if the original picture started off at 56 KB . .
.. after I crop it, it turns out to be 60 KB!

Can anyone explain this to me. And if so, is there a way to crop a picture
and actually make it smaller to save space? Thanks!

J.D.

"J.D." <jdh3@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<xnWdc.7055$YX5.1173@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> How come when I crop a photo (usually to save space when saving it to disk)
> the picture gets larger? Logic tells me if you crop a picture, it should
> get smaller! For example, if the original picture started off at 56 KB . .
> . after I crop it, it turns out to be 60 KB!
>
> Can anyone explain this to me. And if so, is there a way to crop a picture
> and actually make it smaller to save space? Thanks!
>

> J.D.

You're in PC CLONE-DELL now and you should be in "rec.photo.digital"

Mike

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:43:57 GMT, "J.D." <jdh3@prodigy.net> wrote:

>How come when I crop a photo (usually to save space when saving it to disk)
>the picture gets larger? Logic tells me if you crop a picture, it should
>get smaller! For example, if the original picture started off at 56 KB . .
>. after I crop it, it turns out to be 60 KB!
>
>Can anyone explain this to me. And if so, is there a way to crop a picture
>and actually make it smaller to save space? Thanks!
>

>J.D.

what program ?
what file type ?

try cropping and saving with a different name ..... is the file still
larger ?

Gary MacKenzie
Audio Visual Technician / Video Editor

60KB jpgs are little! You're already too small to keep good detail. I
store all my images in TIFF, as JPG is lossy, and they're 17MB each!

Tom
"gary mackenzie" <gary.mackenzie@moray.uhi.ac.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:43:57 GMT, "J.D." <jdh3@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> >How come when I crop a photo (usually to save space when saving it to
disk)
> >the picture gets larger? Logic tells me if you crop a picture, it should
> >get smaller! For example, if the original picture started off at 56 KB .
..
> >. after I crop it, it turns out to be 60 KB!
> >
> >Can anyone explain this to me. And if so, is there a way to crop a
picture
> >and actually make it smaller to save space? Thanks!
> >

> >J.D.
> >
> what program ?
> what file type ?
>
> try cropping and saving with a different name ..... is the file still
> larger ?
>
> Gary MacKenzie
> Audio Visual Technician / Video Editor

I'm using Dell Image Expert -- Standard Edition.

> I'm using the Dell Image Expert - Standard Edition.

Are you sure you are saving the file as the exact same type as the original?
And even then if it's a compressed format such as JPG there's different
levels of compression. If a file has already been optimized by compression
you sometimes can actually make it BIGGER by recompressing it. Plus you lose
image detail in the process. If it is one of these compressed format files
trying converting it to an uncompressed format (such as TIFF) first, do the
crop, then resave. This will hopefully stop you from losing detail. And as
the other poster said 60kb is nothing. Even for storing on floppy disk. I've
had images that are dozens of megabytes easily. Study up on computer
technology, both picture formats and storage. It sounds like someone has
misinformed you. Or, they are thinking about the "old days" (like 5 years
ago, which is an eternity in computer years) when you had to watch such
things more closely.

In article <w%_dc.181$nt3.5@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
"J.D." <jdh3@prodigy.net> wrote:
>I'm using Dell Image Expert -- Standard Edition.

G'day JD. I don't know anything about Dell Image Expert, or why you
want/need to use it. But if you want to try something else that works
beautifully, has bags of features, and is entirely free, try IrfanView
for your image editing/slideshows/batch renaming/conversion etc.
<http://www.irfanview.com/>

>"gary mackenzie" <gary.mackenzie@moray.uhi.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:43:57 GMT, "J.D." <jdh3@prodigy.net> wrote:
>>
>> >How come when I crop a photo (usually to save space when saving it to disk)
>> >the picture gets larger? Logic tells me if you crop a picture, it should
>> >get smaller! For example, if the original picture started off at 56 KB .
>..
>> >. after I crop it, it turns out to be 60 KB!
>> >
>> >Can anyone explain this to me. And if so, is there a way to crop a
>> >picture and actually make it smaller to save space? Thanks!
>> >
>> what program ? >> what file type ?
>> try cropping and saving with a different name ..... is the file still
>> larger ?

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

60KB was just an example I used.

> 60KB jpgs are little! You're already too small to keep good detail. I
> store all my images in TIFF, as JPG is lossy, and they're 17MB each!
>
> Tom
> "gary mackenzie" <gary.mackenzie@moray.uhi.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:43:57 GMT, "J.D." <jdh3@prodigy.net> wrote:
> >
> > >How come when I crop a photo (usually to save space when saving it to
> disk)
> > >the picture gets larger? Logic tells me if you crop a picture, it
should
> > >get smaller! For example, if the original picture started off at 56 KB
..
> .
> > >. after I crop it, it turns out to be 60 KB!
> > >
> > >Can anyone explain this to me. And if so, is there a way to crop a
> picture
> > >and actually make it smaller to save space? Thanks!
> > >

> > >J.D.
> > >
> > what program ?
> > what file type ?
> >
> > try cropping and saving with a different name ..... is the file still
> > larger ?
> >
> > Gary MacKenzie
> > Audio Visual Technician / Video Editor

60KB was just an example that I used regarding size.

"Ricky W. Hunt" <rickywhunt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "J.D." <jdh3@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > I'm using the Dell Image Expert - Standard Edition.
> >

> Are you sure you are saving the file as the exact same type as the
original?
> And even then if it's a compressed format such as JPG there's different
> levels of compression. If a file has already been optimized by compression
> you sometimes can actually make it BIGGER by recompressing it. Plus you
lose
> image detail in the process. If it is one of these compressed format files
> trying converting it to an uncompressed format (such as TIFF) first, do
the
> crop, then resave. This will hopefully stop you from losing detail. And as
> the other poster said 60kb is nothing. Even for storing on floppy disk.
I've
> had images that are dozens of megabytes easily. Study up on computer
> technology, both picture formats and storage. It sounds like someone has
> misinformed you. Or, they are thinking about the "old days" (like 5 years
> ago, which is an eternity in computer years) when you had to watch such
> things more closely.

> G'day JD. I don't know anything about Dell Image Expert, or why you
> want/need to use it. But if you want to try something else that works
> beautifully, has bags of features, and is entirely free, try IrfanView
> for your image editing/slideshows/batch renaming/conversion etc.
> <http://www.irfanview.com/>

Seconded for Irfanview :)

If you also want to do batch resizing, check out Mihov Image Resizer
(free) from www.mihov.com/eng/ (it also has its own site now at
www.imageresizer.com)

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.freeware,aus.photo (More info?)

>> G'day JD. I don't know anything about Dell Image Expert, or why you
>> want/need to use it. But if you want to try something else that works
>> beautifully, has bags of features, and is entirely free, try IrfanView
>> for your image editing/slideshows/batch renaming/conversion etc.
>> <http://www.irfanview.com/>
>
>Seconded for Irfanview :)
>
>If you also want to do batch resizing, check out Mihov Image Resizer
>(free) from www.mihov.com/eng/ (it also has its own site now at
>www.imageresizer.com)

G'day Colin (and the rest of the world :)

Your comment about batch resizing reminded me that I would *really*
like a batch cropping tool.

Perhaps impossible (I know naught of graphics formats) but maybe it
can be done, at least in theory if not yet (ever?) in practice.

Given a large set of "identical" images (that is, they all have the
same general format but differ in contained detail -- imagine a camera
on a fixed stand taking photos of a street scene every so often and
you'll get the "picture") I would like to be able to set up a batch
job to edit the files (JPEGs probably, perhaps GIFs too) and crop them
to the same set of specified coordinates within the image (say the
rectangle contained within 45,25/650,410 pixels or whatever from the
bottom left corner for example).

Anyone know if such exists, or is ever likely to?

Cheers, Phred.

--

ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred) wrote:

>G'day Colin (and the rest of the world :)
>
>Your comment about batch resizing reminded me that I would *really*
>like a batch cropping tool.

You missed, as suggested in that earlier "Cropping Photos"
thread, including rec.photo.digital in your crossposts; since
that group

>Perhaps impossible (I know naught of graphics formats) but maybe it
>can be done, at least in theory if not yet (ever?) in practice.

can go a long way towards remedying your "I know naught of
graphics formats" plaint. And can give you a better handle on
what software tools, graphics-wise, are out there to help you
play with your photos.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.freeware,aus.photo (More info?)

Crossposted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, alt.comp.freeware and aus.photo,
follow-up to alt.comp.freeware

Phred wrote:

> [...] I would like to be able to set
> up a batch job to edit the files (JPEGs probably, perhaps GIFs
> too) and crop them to the same set of specified coordinates within
> the image (say the rectangle contained within 45,25/650,410 pixels
> or whatever from the bottom left corner for example).

There's two obvious choices from my point of view: Use IrfanView or do
it losslessly using JPEGTran.

IrfanView provides the functionality under Batch Conversion | Use
advanced options.

The lossless way: If you download jpegtran from
http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/jpegtran/
and create the following batch file (open notepad, paste the code below
and save as "crop.bat" (do write the quotes to get notepad to
understand that you really mean to save the file with an extension that
isn't .txt)), running the batch file will crop all the JPEG images in
the current dir and put them in the subdir "cropped":

**** crop.bat ****
mkdir cropped
FOR %%A IN (*.jpg) DO jpegtran -crop 320x200+16+48 %%A cropped\%%A
******************

The position of the crop area has to be a multiple of the iMCU size,
which is practically always 8 or 16, depending on the image.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.freeware,aus.photo (More info?)

Newsreader: News Xpress 2.01
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:32:24 GMT,
"Phred" wrote this message:

>>> G'day JD. I don't know anything about Dell Image Expert, or why you
>>> want/need to use it. But if you want to try something else that works
>>> beautifully, has bags of features, and is entirely free, try IrfanView
>>> for your image editing/slideshows/batch renaming/conversion etc.
>>> <http://www.irfanview.com/>
>>
>>Seconded for Irfanview :)
>>
>>If you also want to do batch resizing, check out Mihov Image Resizer
>>(free) from www.mihov.com/eng/ (it also has its own site now at
>>www.imageresizer.com)
>
>G'day Colin (and the rest of the world :)
>
>Your comment about batch resizing reminded me that I would *really*
>like a batch cropping tool.
>
>Perhaps impossible (I know naught of graphics formats) but maybe it
>can be done, at least in theory if not yet (ever?) in practice.
>
>Given a large set of "identical" images (that is, they all have the
>same general format but differ in contained detail -- imagine a camera
>on a fixed stand taking photos of a street scene every so often and
>you'll get the "picture") I would like to be able to set up a batch
>job to edit the files (JPEGs probably, perhaps GIFs too) and crop them
>to the same set of specified coordinates within the image (say the
>rectangle contained within 45,25/650,410 pixels or whatever from the
>bottom left corner for example).
>
>Anyone know if such exists, or is ever likely to?

Maybe this program

JPGCrops - Cropping of JPEG images without loss of quality
http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

What is this?
JPEGCrops is a Windows program, created for preparation of a batch of
images for printing. It provides lossless cropping with fixed aspects
using JPEGTran.

Why use it?
Most digital cameras produce JPEGs with the aspect 4:3. A very common
papersize for photo albums is 4"x6" (10x15cm), which has the aspect
3:2. If you want to print, you often need to crop.

If you need to crop 50 images, it can be very time-consuming in
dedicated image editors like PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro. JPEGCrops
isn't a real image editor: It just rotates and crops. But it's fast
and it's free.

/CoMa

--
Conny (CoMa) Magnusson
hubbabub@algonet.se

CoMa wrote:

> "Phred" wrote this message:
>> [...] and crop them to the same set of specified coordinates [...]

> Maybe this program
>
> JPGCrops - Cropping of JPEG images without loss of quality
> http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

Normally not, but since you show such faith, I made a quick
implementation of the feature.

Untested and all, a preliminary version can be downloaded from:
http://ekot.dk/JPEGCrops/alpha/JPEGCrops0.6.14alpha.zip

The function is called "synchronize crops" and can be found in the Edit
menu.

CoMa wrote:

> Maybe this program
>
> JPGCrops - Cropping of JPEG images without loss of quality
> http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/
>
> What is this?
> JPEGCrops is a Windows program, created for preparation of a batch of
> images for printing. It provides lossless cropping with fixed aspects
> using JPEGTran.

Wow! VERY cool, little program. (And, without making use of the registry.)

Thanks!

Larry
(No affiliation, just an impressed user.)

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.freeware,aus.photo (More info?)

??? IrfanView can do that ???

Patrick.

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> G'day JD. I don't know anything about Dell Image Expert, or why you
> >> want/need to use it. But if you want to try something else that works
> >> beautifully, has bags of features, and is entirely free, try IrfanView
> >> for your image editing/slideshows/batch renaming/conversion etc.
> >> <http://www.irfanview.com/>
> >
> >Seconded for Irfanview :)
> >
> >If you also want to do batch resizing, check out Mihov Image Resizer
> >(free) from www.mihov.com/eng/ (it also has its own site now at
> >www.imageresizer.com)
>
> G'day Colin (and the rest of the world :)
>
> Your comment about batch resizing reminded me that I would *really*
> like a batch cropping tool.
>
> Perhaps impossible (I know naught of graphics formats) but maybe it
> can be done, at least in theory if not yet (ever?) in practice.
>
> Given a large set of "identical" images (that is, they all have the
> same general format but differ in contained detail -- imagine a camera
> on a fixed stand taking photos of a street scene every so often and
> you'll get the "picture") I would like to be able to set up a batch
> job to edit the files (JPEGs probably, perhaps GIFs too) and crop them
> to the same set of specified coordinates within the image (say the
> rectangle contained within 45,25/650,410 pixels or whatever from the
> bottom left corner for example).
>
> Anyone know if such exists, or is ever likely to?
>

> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.freeware,aus.photo (More info?)

All you said are very good,but anther soft may do better,which is Advanced
Batch Filter:Offers over 20 filters to batch convert/edit/enhance images.
You can free download here:
http://www.epcsoft.net

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.freeware,aus.photo (More info?)

support@epcsoft.com (epcsoft), far, far away from here, appears to have
written:

> All you said are very good,but anther soft may do better,which is Advanced
> Batch Filter:Offers over 20 filters to batch convert/edit/enhance images.
> You can free download here:
> http://www.epcsoft.net

Gee, free download!!

You forgot to mention that it's $40 to buy. How about that.
cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)

When people are highly motivated, it's easy to accomplish the impossible. And when they're not, it's impossible to accomplish the easy. - Bob Collings