.tmp files

Could you please indicate what .tmp files - as opposed to .temp files it is
safe to delete, and which must be kept. I am running XP Professional XP2 on
a stand alone computer
TIA
Geoplay
3 answers Last reply
More about files

    Hi,

    Any .tmp file that is not in use can be deleted. By their very nature they
    are only there as a temporary file. Those in use by the system or an
    application will refuse to delete.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Geoplay" <newsgroups@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could you please indicate what .tmp files - as opposed to .temp files it
    > is safe to delete, and which must be kept. I am running XP Professional
    > XP2 on a stand alone computer
    > TIA
    > Geoplay

    Hi

    Reboot your system, then any .TMP files can be deleted. The reboot will
    make sure that none of the .TMP files are being used by any program.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Geoplay" <newsgroups@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could you please indicate what .tmp files - as opposed to .temp files it
    > is safe to delete, and which must be kept. I am running XP Professional
    > XP2 on a stand alone computer
    > TIA
    > Geoplay

    Thank you both for your prompt and succinct replies

    > Hi,
    >
    > Any .tmp file that is not in use can be deleted. By their very nature they
    > are only there as a temporary file. Those in use by the system or an
    > application will refuse to delete.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Geoplay" <newsgroups@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Could you please indicate what .tmp files - as opposed to .temp files it
    >> is safe to delete, and which must be kept. I am running XP Professional
    >> XP2 on a stand alone computer
    >> TIA
    >> Geoplay

Windows XP Microsoft