Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Color bleeding to right side (Acer H233H)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 20, 2009 2:37:18 AM

I'm using an Acer H233H (23", 1080p) and I've noticed that colors often seem to 'bleed' to the right of where they should be on the screen, almost like a faint double image that is displaced slightly to the right.

I've never owned an LCD besides built-in laptop screens before, so I'm not sure if this is simple a viewing angle thing, a hardware issue or a configuration issue. I haven't installed any custom color profiles or tweaked any settings for this display in particular; aside from setting the resolution I've let Windows 7 and the screen's auto config function handle settings.

So, I guess I have two questions:

1. What's causing the colors to bleed to the right and how can I avoid it, if at all?

2. What else should I do configuration-wise to improve image quality? Aside from the bleeding nothing looks "wrong" but that doesn't mean everything is optimal. I've heard it's good to get a color profile file from the display manufacturer to replace Windows' default color profile to match the hardware more precisely. Should I do that? Can someone point me to an FAQ (I'm not tech illiterate, just Windows and LCD illiterate; I assume this would entail downloading a file from Acer and then replacing a file in some system directory?)?

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

November 20, 2009 7:24:35 AM

1. It's called backlight bleeding and is a common "defect" for all LCD monitors. Based on my experience, inexpensive monitors (like the one you have) using TN panel are more prone to have this issue. To me it seems more expensive monitors (such as the two in my sig) have less of an issue with backlight bleeding; probably the increased price factors in better quality control.

2. Bleeding can be mitigated, but not eliminated by lowering brightness and contrast. However, that can create it's own issues like lowering brightness to make backlight bleeding less noticeable, but it makes everything darker than what you prefer.

Use the following link to help you manually calibrate your monitor which may also help reduce backlight bleeding.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

!