Dell precision quad core problem

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
hi all

i recently decided to change my precision 490 for a 690 as the fans were driving me mad. i also thought that i could run a couple of quad core xeons to up the antee per say.

i have built the system from ebay parts and have successfully got the system to boot to windows using the dual core xeons i had so i updated the bios to version A08 and tried the E5430 quad core xeons. here starts the problems.

the pc would turn on but would not even show the bios. after many hours of google i found that there were issues with these processors and certain bios versions. so i downgraded to bios A02 as per the info i had found but still no sucsess. i even tried the battery trick that some suggest but still no joy

any help on this would be really appriciated as i know that this system can support these!!!! :(

thanks

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I always thought AO3 was the best for compatibility, the amount of gear I have mixed with the dell boards while using AO3 was amazing.. AO4 was also a good release.. AO4 is still being released with some of the Department's unit's these days.. I would just try em all before you go any further.