Help picking the right GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hi guys and Merry Christmas!

I'm trying to pick out a proper gaming laptop for my budget of $1700.

My question is, what is the rank of these GPUs. Like-First, second, third, fourth. Of course performance depends on processor and ram too, so lets say all of these use the same CPU and ram. So the following GPUs I've picked are as follows:

3870 x 2 in crossfire

260m gtx

280m gtx

280m gtx x 2 in sli

4870 x 2 in crossfire

and the 250m

I just would like to know the arrangement in performance, I'm pretty sure the 4870s would be first.. but I'm not sure. Thanks a lot!

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Thanks, I decided to get an Alienware M17x with a Q9000 and 280m in SLI. One more question refering to that, do you think that the Q9000 will bottleneck the 280m's at all? I don't want decreased gaming performance just because one part isn't working as well as the other! Espically when I'm spending 2.9K on a laptop...

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

Definitely go for i7 over Q9000, is much faster………. Since you are spending so much money, don’t rush in buying. Some good recommendations are on their way.

Maziar to the rescue :D

There aren't any i7 SLI notebooks out yet as far as I know.

@fgocards: I'm not sure about a bottleneck. I think it would depend on what titles you intend to play. An first person shooter will care more about your GPUs than the CPU, so the Q9000 won't hurt there. However, a real time strategy game will like CPU power more so you may see some performance loss there. That being said, the $500-1000 extra that Alienware wants from you to upgrade to a faster quad is absolutely ridiculous and not worth the money, so I honestly can't recommend that as an upgrade.

Hello and welcome to the forums :)
Please fill the FAQ first and we can help you more:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop

lol :D
Yes i would go for i7 instead of Q9000 as well but it depends on other specs too

Status
Not open for further replies.