Dell 4500 Running Very Slow After Upgrade tp SP2

Mike

Splendid

We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC is
very very slow.
The 4500 was no ball of fire before SP2, but it was usable. Also, I
remeber there are some
fixes for the SP2. Please recommend what I can do to speed up this system.

Mike

In article <r5eve.1038$4M1.991@trnddc07>, wxyz09@yahoo.com says...

> We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC is
> very very slow.
> The 4500 was no ball of fire before SP2, but it was usable. Also, I
> remeber there are some
> fixes for the SP2. Please recommend what I can do to speed up this system.

(1) Upgrade your RAM to at least 512MB. 1GB would be even better.
Remember that Microsoft OS's tend to be bloated hogs when it comes to
memory usage, and X(tra)P(ain) is no exception.

(2) Dump XP and drop back to Windows 2000 Pro. Failing that,
FreeBSD should go like blazes on a system like that, even in 256MB.

Happy tweaking.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC is
>very very slow.

256M isn't a lot of memory, but you can check a couple of things
first:

Use perfmon or task manager to see how much free memory you have
and/or what processes are taking up your memory and/or CPU cycles.

Use Mike Lin's fine Startup.cpl to remove things you don't need to
start when the system starts.

If you can borrow another 256M of memory, try it.

Mike,
In addition in adding more memory as William has posted, especially if you
use onboard graphics, instead of a separate video card. You should, if you
haven't already done in the past, run an adware detector/removal program on
your PC. It has been reported when SP2 was first introduced, that if there
was any malware on your XP SP1 PC, performance was not good, but barely
passable. But with SP2 installed, performance really went down.

The following should be done to help out.
1. Run Antivirus and anti-spyware programs on your PC. I use the following
free programs for spyware:
a. Ad-Aware (free): http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
b. Spybot: S&D (free):
c. MS AntiSpyware (free):

2. Clear TIF folder, and possibly the Cookie folder.
In IE> TOOLS> internet Options> General tab> Delete Files button> Select
Include Offline Content> OK.
Consider Clearing Cookies, you will need to reload them when visiting sites.
This may cause a delay the first time you visit the site, but after that you
should be fine. You will probably need to reenter ID/Password info on the
site.

3. If you go to sites that use Java, consider clearing the Java Cache
folder. If Sun's Java is installed:
Control Panel> Java> General tab> Delete Files button> OK.

4. Check if there is any upgrades for drivers for any hardware on or
attached to your PC, or any software upgrades, especially security programs,
such as Norton or McAfee. Again some manufactures had to create patches for
their products after the SP2 upgrade.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC is
>very very slow.

256M isn't a lot of memory, but you can check a couple of things
first:

Use perfmon or task manager to see how much free memory you have
and/or what processes are taking up your memory and/or CPU cycles.

Use Mike Lin's fine Startup.cpl to remove things you don't need to
start when the system starts.

If you can borrow another 256M of memory, try it.

Do a disk cleanup. After that, go to the %temp% folder and delete all the
sludge accumulated there, and empty the recycle bin, of course. Disk cleanup
does not remove all the junk files left behind by all the software running under
Windows.

Yes! Upgrade to at least 512MB... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:

> Do a disk cleanup. After that, go to the %temp% folder and delete all the
> sludge accumulated there, and empty the recycle bin, of course. Disk cleanup
> does not remove all the junk files left behind by all the software running under
> Windows.

When cleaning the temp folder, it's always advisable to discard *only*
those files which are timed/dated prior to your current session.

Notan

Mike

Splendid

Yes, I've got the RAM. It's a 4550.

Mike

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC is
>>very very slow.
>
> 256M isn't a lot of memory, but you can check a couple of things
> first:
>
> Use perfmon or task manager to see how much free memory you have
> and/or what processes are taking up your memory and/or CPU cycles.
>
> Use Mike Lin's fine Startup.cpl to remove things you don't need to
> start when the system starts.
>
> If you can borrow another 256M of memory, try it.

Mike

Splendid

Richard - yes, that's it. I forgot..
I don't believe he ran anti spyware softwarte before installing the updaTE.
eVERYtime I'm over there I run antispyware. Had already installed MS
antispyware, spybot and ad aware.

Mike

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
> In addition in adding more memory as William has posted, especially if you
> use onboard graphics, instead of a separate video card. You should, if you
> haven't already done in the past, run an adware detector/removal program
> on
> your PC. It has been reported when SP2 was first introduced, that if there
> was any malware on your XP SP1 PC, performance was not good, but barely
> passable. But with SP2 installed, performance really went down.
>
> The following should be done to help out.
> 1. Run Antivirus and anti-spyware programs on your PC. I use the following
> free programs for spyware:
> a. Ad-Aware (free): http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
> b. Spybot: S&D (free):
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
> c. MS AntiSpyware (free):
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
>
> 2. Clear TIF folder, and possibly the Cookie folder.
> In IE> TOOLS> internet Options> General tab> Delete Files button> Select
> Include Offline Content> OK.
> Consider Clearing Cookies, you will need to reload them when visiting
> sites.
> This may cause a delay the first time you visit the site, but after that
> you
> should be fine. You will probably need to reenter ID/Password info on the
> site.
>
> 3. If you go to sites that use Java, consider clearing the Java Cache
> folder. If Sun's Java is installed:
> Control Panel> Java> General tab> Delete Files button> OK.
>
> 4. Check if there is any upgrades for drivers for any hardware on or
> attached to your PC, or any software upgrades, especially security
> programs,
> such as Norton or McAfee. Again some manufactures had to create patches
> for
> their products after the SP2 upgrade.
>
> --
>
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC is
>>very very slow.
>
> 256M isn't a lot of memory, but you can check a couple of things
> first:
>
> Use perfmon or task manager to see how much free memory you have
> and/or what processes are taking up your memory and/or CPU cycles.
>
> Use Mike Lin's fine Startup.cpl to remove things you don't need to
> start when the system starts.
>
> If you can borrow another 256M of memory, try it.

Mike

Splendid

Will do and plan to upgrade to 512MB.

Mike

> Do a disk cleanup. After that, go to the %temp% folder and delete all the
> sludge accumulated there, and empty the recycle bin, of course. Disk
> cleanup
> does not remove all the junk files left behind by all the software running
> under
> Windows.
>
> Yes! Upgrade to at least 512MB... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:44:39 GMT, "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC is
>>very very slow.
>>The 4500 was no ball of fire before SP2, but it was usable. Also, I
>>remeber there are some
>>fixes for the SP2. Please recommend what I can do to speed up this
>>system.
>>
>>Mike

> Some yearsd ago, I had a batchh that would do that,
> but periodically it would cause problems
> so I dumped.

Better yet, http://www.ccleaner.com

The first time I ran it I cleared 60Mb of sh*te - and I thought I ran a
fairly tight ship.

Mike

Splendid

PC100?

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> PC100?
>
> Mike

256mb DDR SDRAM PC2700.

www.crucial.com

Stew

Mike

Splendid

I'll chjeck it out.

Mike

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Some yearsd ago, I had a batchh that would do that,
>> but periodically it would cause problems
>> so I dumped.
>
> Better yet, http://www.ccleaner.com
>
> The first time I ran it I cleared 60Mb of sh*te - and I thought I ran a
> fairly tight ship.
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

Helen

XP - SP2 will NOT work on ALL machines. I've had it mess up my machine
twice! I've un-installed it
and will NOT re-install it again. It is not an improvement, but on my
machine it locks it up, and just overall
malfunctions. No, I don't have spyware, trojan, worm ad-ware, etc.
Housecleaning is done regularly.
It is just that this machine does not run SP2, period. There are several
people who have machines that
SP2 will not run well or run at all on. BTW, as for the MS Updates...it's
far better to not do an automatic
update but rather a custom update whereby you can see what's being updated
and determine whether or not
it is somtheing you need. I just had problems with the latest update of
Office 2003!

Still using SP1 and without problems.

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
> In addition in adding more memory as William has posted, especially if you
> use onboard graphics, instead of a separate video card. You should, if you
> haven't already done in the past, run an adware detector/removal program
on
> your PC. It has been reported when SP2 was first introduced, that if there
> was any malware on your XP SP1 PC, performance was not good, but barely
> passable. But with SP2 installed, performance really went down.
>
> The following should be done to help out.
> 1. Run Antivirus and anti-spyware programs on your PC. I use the following
> free programs for spyware:
> a. Ad-Aware (free): http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
> b. Spybot: S&D (free):
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
> c. MS AntiSpyware (free):
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
>
> 2. Clear TIF folder, and possibly the Cookie folder.
> In IE> TOOLS> internet Options> General tab> Delete Files button> Select
> Include Offline Content> OK.
> Consider Clearing Cookies, you will need to reload them when visiting
sites.
> This may cause a delay the first time you visit the site, but after that
you
> should be fine. You will probably need to reenter ID/Password info on the
> site.
>
> 3. If you go to sites that use Java, consider clearing the Java Cache
> folder. If Sun's Java is installed:
> Control Panel> Java> General tab> Delete Files button> OK.
>
> 4. Check if there is any upgrades for drivers for any hardware on or
> attached to your PC, or any software upgrades, especially security
programs,
> such as Norton or McAfee. Again some manufactures had to create patches
for
> their products after the SP2 upgrade.
>
> --
>
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC is
> >very very slow.
>
> 256M isn't a lot of memory, but you can check a couple of things
> first:
>
> Use perfmon or task manager to see how much free memory you have
> and/or what processes are taking up your memory and/or CPU cycles.
>
> Use Mike Lin's fine Startup.cpl to remove things you don't need to
> start when the system starts.
>
> If you can borrow another 256M of memory, try it.

Mike

Splendid

How many slot does the 4550 have?

Mike'

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
> XP - SP2 will NOT work on ALL machines. I've had it mess up my machine
> twice! I've un-installed it
> and will NOT re-install it again. It is not an improvement, but on my
> machine it locks it up, and just overall
> malfunctions. No, I don't have spyware, trojan, worm ad-ware, etc.
> Housecleaning is done regularly.
> It is just that this machine does not run SP2, period. There are several
> people who have machines that
> SP2 will not run well or run at all on. BTW, as for the MS Updates...it's
> far better to not do an automatic
> update but rather a custom update whereby you can see what's being updated
> and determine whether or not
> it is somtheing you need. I just had problems with the latest update of
> Office 2003!
>
> Still using SP1 and without problems.

SP2 has worked fine on the couple of 4550's I've worked with. Of course,
each machine has it's own hardware/software configuration variables so I
don't doubt what you're saying.

(Knock on wood) I've not had a Dell, HP, or Compaq yet that didn't accept
SP2 - only two Gateway systems.

Stew

> How many slot does the 4550 have?
>
> Mike'

2 sockets. At least 1024mb total capacity ( 2 x 512mb ). The machine may
support 2gb, but I'm not sure. www.support.dell.com has the documentation,
as does www.crucial.com .

This is not a dual-channel machine, but still a very solid and worth keeping
for a while, imo. (I've got a 4500 and 4400 here right now, both running XP
Home with 512mb )

Stew

But it works fine on a 4550.

In answer to the other question, the 4550 has two slots, each limited to
512MB for a total of 1GB, which is what mine is running.

Tom

> [...]
> for
>> their products after the SP2 upgrade.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rich/rerat
>>
>> (RRR News) <message rule>
>> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>>

>> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
>> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC
>> >is
>> >very very slow.
>>
>> 256M isn't a lot of memory, but you can check a couple of things
>> first:
>>
>> Use perfmon or task manager to see how much free memory you have
>> and/or what processes are taking up your memory and/or CPU cycles.
>>
>> Use Mike Lin's fine Startup.cpl to remove things you don't need to
>> start when the system starts.
>>
>> If you can borrow another 256M of memory, try it.

I agree re: custom updates vs automatic updates.

Mike]
> [...]
> for
>> their products after the SP2 upgrade.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rich/rerat
>>
>> (RRR News) <message rule>
>> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>>

>> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
>> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >We have a Dell 4500 256MB RAM, XP Home. After upgrading to SP2 the PC
>> >is
>> >very very slow.
>>
>> 256M isn't a lot of memory, but you can check a couple of things
>> first:
>>
>> Use perfmon or task manager to see how much free memory you have
>> and/or what processes are taking up your memory and/or CPU cycles.
>>
>> Use Mike Lin's fine Startup.cpl to remove things you don't need to
>> start when the system starts.
>>
>> If you can borrow another 256M of memory, try it.

Thgat's what I needed to know.

Mikee

> [...]
>>> attached to your PC, or any software upgrades, especially security
>> programs,
>>> such as Norton or McAfee. Again some manufactures had to create patches
>> for
>>> their products after the SP2 upgrade.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rich/rerat
>>>
>>> (RRR News) <message rule>
>>> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>>>

>>> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
>>>
>>> 256M isn't a lot of memory, but you can check a couple of things
>>> first:
>>>
>>> Use perfmon or task manager to see how much free memory you have
>>> and/or what processes are taking up your memory and/or CPU cycles.
>>>
>>> Use Mike Lin's fine Startup.cpl to remove things you don't need to
>>> start when the system starts.
>>>
>>> If you can borrow another 256M of memory, try it.

That's reassuring because I was ready to dump it.

Mike

> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> How many slot does the 4550 have?
>>
>> Mike'
>>

> 2 sockets. At least 1024mb total capacity ( 2 x 512mb ). The machine may
> support 2gb, but I'm not sure. www.support.dell.com has the
> documentation, as does www.crucial.com .
>
> This is not a dual-channel machine, but still a very solid and worth
> keeping for a while, imo. (I've got a 4500 and 4400 here right now, both
> running XP Home with 512mb )
>

> Stew

To add to the other good responses ... The prefetch may be rebuilding
itself after a significant upgrade ... Even if it's not, you can
safely delete \windows\prefetch and then xp will rebuild all the
entries which later on could speed up program startups.

Shoot, don't do that. My 4550 is still my primary machine. ATI 9800 Pro
running dual LCD monitors -- one 19", one 21". 350GB storage. 1GB ram.
Rock solid. Use it all day every day.

Tom
> That's reassuring because I was ready to dump it.
>
> Mike
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> How many slot does the 4550 have?
>>>
>>> Mike'
>>>

>> 2 sockets. At least 1024mb total capacity ( 2 x 512mb ). The machine
>> may support 2gb, but I'm not sure. www.support.dell.com has the
>> documentation, as does www.crucial.com .
>>
>> This is not a dual-channel machine, but still a very solid and worth
>> keeping for a while, imo. (I've got a 4500 and 4400 here right now, both
>> running XP Home with 512mb )
>>

>> Stew

Mike

Splendid

Sounds good, but this one is usung onboard video.

Mike

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:nP1we.382$Ku6.1@trnddc04...
> Sounds good, but this one is usung onboard video.
>
> Mike

Ohhhhhh, this is a Dimension 4500-S ? <slimline>

That's another animal almost entirely, though SP2 shouldn't rightly slow it
to a crawl....

Stew