I5000 power problems

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello all,

Sorry for the cross post but I'm at my wits end on this. I've googled up
the wazoo and can't find an answer ;)

I have an I5000 that I bought from an old place of employment. About a
month ago I noticed that when I unplug from AC, it shuts right off. The
battery doesn't kick in. I've tried different batteries that I know are
good...

When I check the batter in the "Power Options Properties" I see the icon
for the battery, but it's got a red X through it. If I then click that icon
to see properties, it says it's online.

So, is it either that the battery is never taking a charge, or some other
hdwr problem? How can I check of the laptop is actually charging the
battery?

Has anyone else experienced this? Can someone point me in the right
direction to fix it?

Thanks!

Tim

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Tim--

I too have an I5000. Same thing...battery not kicking in when A/C is
unplugged. What it took, and I do not advocate force in most
situations, is a FIRM slam of the battery into the computer. Also,
check out the contacts inside the housing. They may be slightly
corroded and need to be cleaned. Now the battery works like a charm.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

DiezMon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Sorry for the cross post but I'm at my wits end on this. I've googled up
> the wazoo and can't find an answer ;)
>
> I have an I5000 that I bought from an old place of employment. About a
> month ago I noticed that when I unplug from AC, it shuts right off. The
> battery doesn't kick in. I've tried different batteries that I know are
> good...
>
> When I check the batter in the "Power Options Properties" I see the icon
> for the battery, but it's got a red X through it. If I then click that icon
> to see properties, it says it's online.
>
> So, is it either that the battery is never taking a charge, or some other
> hdwr problem? How can I check of the laptop is actually charging the
> battery?
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Can someone point me in the right
> direction to fix it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Try using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts off? Usually works for
light corrosion, etc.

KC

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> Tim--
>
> I too have an I5000. Same thing...battery not kicking in when A/C is
> unplugged. What it took, and I do not advocate force in most
> situations, is a FIRM slam of the battery into the computer. Also,
> check out the contacts inside the housing. They may be slightly
> corroded and need to be cleaned. Now the battery works like a charm.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
>

> DiezMon wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Sorry for the cross post but I'm at my wits end on this. I've googled
up
> > the wazoo and can't find an answer ;)
> >
> > I have an I5000 that I bought from an old place of employment. About a
> > month ago I noticed that when I unplug from AC, it shuts right off. The
> > battery doesn't kick in. I've tried different batteries that I know are
> > good...
> >
> > When I check the batter in the "Power Options Properties" I see the
icon
> > for the battery, but it's got a red X through it. If I then click that
icon
> > to see properties, it says it's online.
> >
> > So, is it either that the battery is never taking a charge, or some
other
> > hdwr problem? How can I check of the laptop is actually charging the
> > battery?
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this? Can someone point me in the right
> > direction to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Tim

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

If you use a pencil eraser to clean contacts, use a brand called "Magic
Rub" (very common, actually, any office store will sell them). Most
other erasers are abrasive and will remove gold or other platings from
contacts.

Kevin Childers wrote:
> Try using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts off? Usually works for
> light corrosion, etc.
>
> KC
>
> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
>
>>Tim--
>>
>>I too have an I5000. Same thing...battery not kicking in when A/C is
>>unplugged. What it took, and I do not advocate force in most
>>situations, is a FIRM slam of the battery into the computer. Also,
>>check out the contacts inside the housing. They may be slightly
>>corroded and need to be cleaned. Now the battery works like a charm.
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>>

>>DiezMon wrote:
>>
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>Sorry for the cross post but I'm at my wits end on this. I've googled
>
> up
>
>>>the wazoo and can't find an answer ;)
>>>
>>>I have an I5000 that I bought from an old place of employment. About a
>>>month ago I noticed that when I unplug from AC, it shuts right off. The
>>>battery doesn't kick in. I've tried different batteries that I know are
>>>good...
>>>
>>>When I check the batter in the "Power Options Properties" I see the
>
> icon
>
>>>for the battery, but it's got a red X through it. If I then click that
>
> icon
>
>>>to see properties, it says it's online.
>>>
>>>So, is it either that the battery is never taking a charge, or some
>
> other
>
>>>hdwr problem? How can I check of the laptop is actually charging the
>>>battery?
>>>
>>>Has anyone else experienced this? Can someone point me in the right
>>>direction to fix it?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>Tim

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

well, I tried cleaning and "slamming" and I'm still having the problem.

Anyone else have an idea what the problem may be?

Tim

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> Tim--
>
> I too have an I5000. Same thing...battery not kicking in when A/C is
> unplugged. What it took, and I do not advocate force in most
> situations, is a FIRM slam of the battery into the computer. Also,
> check out the contacts inside the housing. They may be slightly
> corroded and need to be cleaned. Now the battery works like a charm.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
>

> DiezMon wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Sorry for the cross post but I'm at my wits end on this. I've googled
up
> > the wazoo and can't find an answer ;)
> >
> > I have an I5000 that I bought from an old place of employment. About a
> > month ago I noticed that when I unplug from AC, it shuts right off. The
> > battery doesn't kick in. I've tried different batteries that I know are
> > good...
> >
> > When I check the batter in the "Power Options Properties" I see the
icon
> > for the battery, but it's got a red X through it. If I then click that
icon
> > to see properties, it says it's online.
> >
> > So, is it either that the battery is never taking a charge, or some
other
> > hdwr problem? How can I check of the laptop is actually charging the
> > battery?
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this? Can someone point me in the right
> > direction to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Tim

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Internal battery chargers freqently go bad on laptops. Usually needs
a motherboard replacement. Try using an external charger, then use
the charged battery in the laptop.

Dan