Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to set up data on HDD and Programs and OS on SSD?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 16, 2012 7:37:11 AM

Is there an order or priority of what should be on the SSD and what should be on the HDD? Is there a certain way to set up the user files in Windows 7 so that they are all on the HDD? After I installed Windows 7 I just clicked all my user files and dragged them to the HDD. I now think I may have messed up because I now don't see the APPData folder. Maybe that is hidden in Windows 7. And what are page files? I set up my new computer by first installing the OS, then drivers and most used programs on the SSD. Then it got confusing what should I put on the slower HDD. I surely don't want temp files on the SSD but how do I get IE or Google temp files to go to the HDD? I heard you don't want to fill up the SSD too much or it starts to slow down. But every time I want to install something, I stress out trying to figure out if I should install it on the SSD or HDD. Is there a tutorial on this? Back before the SSD it was simple that everything went to the HDD. Maybe I'm overthinking things and making it more difficult. It just seems like everything is a mess having some stuff on two different drives. Thanks for your help

Best solution

October 16, 2012 12:42:52 PM

The way i do this is copy the My Documents Folder over the the other drive, then right click the short cut to 'my documents' and change the location it uses.
eg copy - "%SSD%:\Users\Dave" > %data drive%
then:
Click on the 'Start button' and then right click 'Documents' and include the new folder. use the save to button if using Windows 7. repeat this for picture and music.

that should get you going. i have done this at home for my downloads folder, i point my browser to my downloads folder and then point my downloads folder to my network drive. This make its nice and easy to make downloads available to all my devices.
October 27, 2012 11:19:49 PM

davidgermain said:
The way i do this is copy the My Documents Folder over the the other drive, then right click the short cut to 'my documents' and change the location it uses.
eg copy - "%SSD%:\Users\Dave" > %data drive%
then:
Click on the 'Start button' and then right click 'Documents' and include the new folder. use the save to button if using Windows 7. repeat this for picture and music.

that should get you going. i have done this at home for my downloads folder, i point my browser to my downloads folder and then point my downloads folder to my network drive. This make its nice and easy to make downloads available to all my devices.

That worked. :bounce: 
Thank you.
m
l
October 27, 2012 11:20:59 PM

Best answer selected by azintrepid.
m
l
!