Would a Tyan Thunder i7505 mobo fit in a Dell 1600Sc Serve..

I've got an opportunity to buy a Dell 1600SC server case cheap. Could I fit
a Thunder i7505 mobo in the case with the port access in the correct
positions? Being a dual server case, its got to be either an OEM or Intel
board. Of course, Dell wouldn't give me that sort of info.

Cheers,

Peter

Not without a great deal of modification and a lot of rewiring - and
probably a new power supply (or power supplies).

"powervideo" <smeltron@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got an opportunity to buy a Dell 1600SC server case cheap. Could I
fit
> a Thunder i7505 mobo in the case with the port access in the correct
> positions? Being a dual server case, its got to be either an OEM or
Intel
> board. Of course, Dell wouldn't give me that sort of info.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Thanks Edward,

I was thinking that Dell must be using someone's else's mobo.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Not without a great deal of modification and a lot of rewiring - and
> probably a new power supply (or power supplies).

The PowerEdge systems from the last few years use very much custom Dell
boards built by Solectron and Celestica for the most part - I have not seen
inside a 1600SC, but those Dells I use daily (PE 2500, 2550, 2600, 2650,
etc.) would not take standard boards at all - the components inside are not
standard ATX.

> Thanks Edward,
>
> I was thinking that Dell must be using someone's else's mobo.
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > Not without a great deal of modification and a lot of rewiring - and
> > probably a new power supply (or power supplies).

I meant to mention it comes with a power supply fitted, so it's the ATX
board I'm concerned about.

Peter

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Not without a great deal of modification and a lot of rewiring - and
> probably a new power supply (or power supplies).
>

> "powervideo" <smeltron@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've got an opportunity to buy a Dell 1600SC server case cheap. Could I
> fit
> > a Thunder i7505 mobo in the case with the port access in the correct
> > positions? Being a dual server case, its got to be either an OEM or
> Intel
> > board. Of course, Dell wouldn't give me that sort of info.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Peter

Take a look here at the non standard mobo;
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/pe1600sc/en/sm/jumpers.htm#1076147
By the way the power supply is also NOT standard.

> I meant to mention it comes with a power supply fitted, so it's the ATX
> board I'm concerned about.
>
> Peter
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > Not without a great deal of modification and a lot of rewiring - and
> > probably a new power supply (or power supplies).
> >

> > "powervideo" <smeltron@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I've got an opportunity to buy a Dell 1600SC server case cheap. Could
> > fit
> > > a Thunder i7505 mobo in the case with the port access in the correct
> > > positions? Being a dual server case, its got to be either an OEM or
> > Intel
> > > board. Of course, Dell wouldn't give me that sort of info.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Peter

Cheers Edward. I'll steer clear.
PC