How do I access files on my PC from another PC?

Hello. I have a Desktop and laptop running Windows XP. I have password
protected my login on the Desktop. Both computers are networked and I am able
to access files on the Shared Folder on the desktop from my laptop. The
problem I am facing is that I am unable to access other files on my desktop
and when I go to the location, the message I receive is that I do not have
sufficient privileges. How can I access my personal files on the desktop from
my laptop? In other words, is there a way to provide my login password and
access my files on the desktop from a laptop? At the moment, only if I remove
the password from the desktop am I able to access my files on the desktop -
but I need to have the password on the desltop as others use the desltop as
well but I need to access my personal files on the desktop using my laptop.
Appreciate your comments and solution to this problem.
4 answers Last reply
More about access files

    create the same password on your laptop
    OR use the command prompt and
    type: net use \\computername /user:computername\login password
    replace computername with ip address or workstation name and login with
    loginname.

    Regards,

    "Vish Tumu" wrote:

    > Hello. I have a Desktop and laptop running Windows XP. I have password
    > protected my login on the Desktop. Both computers are networked and I am able
    > to access files on the Shared Folder on the desktop from my laptop. The
    > problem I am facing is that I am unable to access other files on my desktop
    > and when I go to the location, the message I receive is that I do not have
    > sufficient privileges. How can I access my personal files on the desktop from
    > my laptop? In other words, is there a way to provide my login password and
    > access my files on the desktop from a laptop? At the moment, only if I remove
    > the password from the desktop am I able to access my files on the desktop -
    > but I need to have the password on the desltop as others use the desltop as
    > well but I need to access my personal files on the desktop using my laptop.
    > Appreciate your comments and solution to this problem.

    I am lost - how do I do what you are suggesting:

    (1) how do I create the same password on my laptop - do I create a user for
    myself on the laptop exactly as on the desktop with the same name and
    password?

    (2) what is the command prompt? do I carry out these instructions from the
    Add Network place or from some where else?

    Would greatly appreciate a step-by-step instruction.

    "Rikken" wrote:

    > create the same password on your laptop
    > OR use the command prompt and
    > type: net use \\computername /user:computername\login password
    > replace computername with ip address or workstation name and login with
    > loginname.
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > "Vish Tumu" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello. I have a Desktop and laptop running Windows XP. I have password
    > > protected my login on the Desktop. Both computers are networked and I am able
    > > to access files on the Shared Folder on the desktop from my laptop. The
    > > problem I am facing is that I am unable to access other files on my desktop
    > > and when I go to the location, the message I receive is that I do not have
    > > sufficient privileges. How can I access my personal files on the desktop from
    > > my laptop? In other words, is there a way to provide my login password and
    > > access my files on the desktop from a laptop? At the moment, only if I remove
    > > the password from the desktop am I able to access my files on the desktop -
    > > but I need to have the password on the desltop as others use the desltop as
    > > well but I need to access my personal files on the desktop using my laptop.
    > > Appreciate your comments and solution to this problem.

    yes, try solution 1 and create the same user and password for yourself on the
    laptop. Thats easier than solution 2 if you don't know much about windows.

    About solution 2: you can find the command prompt item in the start menu ->
    all programs -> accessories. Bu if you don't know this try solution 1.

    "Vish Tumu" wrote:

    > I am lost - how do I do what you are suggesting:
    >
    > (1) how do I create the same password on my laptop - do I create a user for
    > myself on the laptop exactly as on the desktop with the same name and
    > password?
    >
    > (2) what is the command prompt? do I carry out these instructions from the
    > Add Network place or from some where else?
    >
    > Would greatly appreciate a step-by-step instruction.
    >
    > "Rikken" wrote:
    >
    > > create the same password on your laptop
    > > OR use the command prompt and
    > > type: net use \\computername /user:computername\login password
    > > replace computername with ip address or workstation name and login with
    > > loginname.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >

    > > "Vish Tumu" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello. I have a Desktop and laptop running Windows XP. I have password
    > > > protected my login on the Desktop. Both computers are networked and I am able
    > > > to access files on the Shared Folder on the desktop from my laptop. The
    > > > problem I am facing is that I am unable to access other files on my desktop
    > > > and when I go to the location, the message I receive is that I do not have
    > > > sufficient privileges. How can I access my personal files on the desktop from
    > > > my laptop? In other words, is there a way to provide my login password and
    > > > access my files on the desktop from a laptop? At the moment, only if I remove
    > > > the password from the desktop am I able to access my files on the desktop -
    > > > but I need to have the password on the desltop as others use the desltop as
    > > > well but I need to access my personal files on the desktop using my laptop.
    > > > Appreciate your comments and solution to this problem.

    Appreciate your reply but none of the solutions appear to be working on my
    laptop, most probably becuase of some error on my part. I created a User
    Account on my laptop exactly as in the desktop with the same password and I
    logged into the laptop using this user name. Next, I added a network place to
    the folder on the desktop that I wish to access but I am running into the
    same situation wherein it says I do not have sufficient privileges.

    "Rikken" wrote:

    > yes, try solution 1 and create the same user and password for yourself on the
    > laptop. Thats easier than solution 2 if you don't know much about windows.
    >
    > About solution 2: you can find the command prompt item in the start menu ->
    > all programs -> accessories. Bu if you don't know this try solution 1.
    >
    > "Vish Tumu" wrote:
    >
    > > I am lost - how do I do what you are suggesting:
    > >
    > > (1) how do I create the same password on my laptop - do I create a user for
    > > myself on the laptop exactly as on the desktop with the same name and
    > > password?
    > >
    > > (2) what is the command prompt? do I carry out these instructions from the
    > > Add Network place or from some where else?
    > >
    > > Would greatly appreciate a step-by-step instruction.
    > >
    > > "Rikken" wrote:
    > >
    > > > create the same password on your laptop
    > > > OR use the command prompt and
    > > > type: net use \\computername /user:computername\login password
    > > > replace computername with ip address or workstation name and login with
    > > > loginname.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,

Laptops Desktops Windows XP