RUNDLL Error - still

Hello Again...
I posted this question last week and received instant help from Carey and
Alan, and I thank you both for your quick responses.
I followed Carey's instructions below, however, the entry 'WildTangent CDA'
is not listed in this registry key.

I now know that this is junkware and it's been removed from my system, but I
still get the error message listed in my first post whenever I power up. Not
a big deal...I can live with it...it's just annoying.

Any other ideas?
Thank you again.
SRS

******************

Look in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run

For an entry named:

WildTangent CDA

Delete that entry and you will no longer get the error message.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"SRS" wrote:

| Greetings.
| I hope someone can help me out. I have windows XP running on a Dell
| desktop. Everything APPEARS to be running just fine. However, whenever I
| power up I get the following error message:
|
| RUNDLL
| Error Loading C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll The
| specified module could not be found.
|
| I click the "OK" on the error pop-up message and then everything loads and
| runs fine.
|
| Can you tell me what this error message is all about and how do I get rid of
| it so it stops popping up everytime I power up.
|
| Thank you in advance for your help!
|
| SRS

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

SRS wrote:

> Hello Again...
> I posted this question last week and received instant help from Carey and
> Alan, and I thank you both for your quick responses.
> I followed Carey's instructions below, however, the entry 'WildTangent CDA'
> is not listed in this registry key.
>
> I now know that this is junkware and it's been removed from my system, but I
> still get the error message listed in my first post whenever I power up. Not
> a big deal...I can live with it...it's just annoying.
>
> Any other ideas?
> Thank you again.
> SRS
>
> ******************
>
> Look in this registry key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
>
> For an entry named:
>
> WildTangent CDA
>
> Delete that entry and you will no longer get the error message.

SRS, please don't post hijackthis logs here. pcbutts1 has been told
many times by many people that this is not the place for HJT logs. Here
are some places were HJT logs should be posted where the experts will
analyze it.

Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

Run these programs to check for spyware/malware. After installing
update them, then boot into safe mode and run them. You should update
and run them weekly.

Ad-aware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste
it back here to this group so that I can analyze it.

HijackThis

"SRS" <SRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Again...
> I posted this question last week and received instant help from Carey and
> Alan, and I thank you both for your quick responses.
> I followed Carey's instructions below, however, the entry 'WildTangent
> CDA'
> is not listed in this registry key.
>
> I now know that this is junkware and it's been removed from my system, but
> still get the error message listed in my first post whenever I power up.
> Not
> a big deal...I can live with it...it's just annoying.
>
> Any other ideas?
> Thank you again.
> SRS
>
> ******************
>
> Look in this registry key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
>
> For an entry named:
>
> WildTangent CDA
>
> Delete that entry and you will no longer get the error message.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "SRS" wrote:
>
> | Greetings.
> | I hope someone can help me out. I have windows XP running on a Dell
> | desktop. Everything APPEARS to be running just fine. However, whenever
> | power up I get the following error message:
> |
> | RUNDLL
> | Error Loading C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll
> The
> | specified module could not be found.
> |
> | I click the "OK" on the error pop-up message and then everything loads
> and
> | runs fine.
> |
> | Can you tell me what this error message is all about and how do I get
> rid of
> | it so it stops popping up everytime I power up.
> |
> | Thank you in advance for your help!
> |
> | SRS

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

SRS wrote on Mon, 8 Aug 2005:

>I now know that this is junkware and it's been removed from my system, but I
>still get the error message listed in my first post whenever I power up. Not
>a big deal...I can live with it...it's just annoying.
>
>Any other ideas?

Hi SRS

It must be something that's running on startup, but it wasn't in the
most common Registry key that Carey had you look at.

Try going to Start > Run, type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and
OK. When MSConfig appears click on the Startup tab and see if you can
spot any reference to Wild Tangent or cdaEngine0400.dll there. It may be
something under the Command column that starts with Rundll or Rundll32.
Check the paths to see if any are the same as in your error message.

If you see it, look at the entry in the Location column to find out in
which Registry key or startup group it's loading, then you can disable
or (my preference) delete it.

Hope this helps.

--
Nightowl