Inspiron 2650 keyboard problem

My 3-year old Inspiron 2650 stops responding to keyboard input sometimes.
Rebooting always fixes it.

Is this a sign that my keyboard is dying, or could it be something in the
registry?

Colin

"Colin Whipple" <colinwhippleNSPM@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> My 3-year old Inspiron 2650 stops responding to keyboard input sometimes.
> Rebooting always fixes it.
>
> Is this a sign that my keyboard is dying, or could it be something in the
> registry?
>
> Colin

Try it with an external USB keyboard and see if it clears up. That might
help sort things out. Or you could run the diagnostics from the website or
CD and poll each key and see if any fail.

Stew

BigJim

it could be as simple as a loose connection from the keyboard to the
motherboard.

"Colin Whipple" <colinwhippleNSPM@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> My 3-year old Inspiron 2650 stops responding to keyboard input sometimes.
> Rebooting always fixes it.
>
> Is this a sign that my keyboard is dying, or could it be something in the
> registry?
>
> Colin

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:38:11 GMT, "Colin Whipple"
<colinwhippleNSPM@adelphia.net> wrote:

>My 3-year old Inspiron 2650 stops responding to keyboard input sometimes.
>Rebooting always fixes it.
>
>Is this a sign that my keyboard is dying, or could it be something in the
>registry?

From what I remember, Inspiron 2xxx keyboards have a pain-in-the-ass
ribbon-type connector to the motherboard. Dell went super-cheap and
didn't put a nice solid connector at the end of the keyboard, so
anyone that removes the keyboard has to spend a half-hour trying to
put the circuit-ribbon back in perfectly. Not that I've done this a
couple times or anything ;)

Try taking out the keyboard circuit ribbon, and re-inserting it. I
think the keyboard screws are marked "K" at the bottom of the laptop.

Dan

I thank those who responded to my question.

At the Inspiron community forum at www.dell.com I found suggestions to:

1) Relieve static electricity buildup by removing and replacing the
battery, and

2) Tightening/reinserting the keyboard connector as some people here
suggested.

Since removing the battery for a short period seemed easier, I am trying
that first. If it doesn't work I will try the other method.

Colin