F8-no Safe mode, IPCONFIG just a flash

August 8, 2005 2:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I use Windows XP Pro.

F8 does not get me to Safe mode but only to selection of Floppy or
Harddrive.

IPCONFIG in the Run position does not get me to the normal screen, but just
a very quick flash of a screen.

How do I fix both?
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:15:45 PM

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote:

|>IPCONFIG in the Run position does not get me to the normal screen, but just
|>a very quick flash of a screen.

In the start/run type in:
cmd /k ipconfig
--
http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

IPCONFIG in Run will show only a flashing DOS window. Open command prompt
and use the IPCONFIG command.

Regarding Safe mode, I suspect that you are pressing the F8 key too early
that it triggers the “boot device selection� in some motherboards. Try
pressing the F8 key after the POST and when the Windows starts. You may also
use the following steps to boot to Safe mode:

1. Close all open programs.
2. Click Start > Run.
3. In the Run dialog box, type MSCONFIG and then click OK.
4. In the System Configuration Utility, on the BOOT.INI tab, check /SAFEBOOT.
5. Click OK. When you are asked to restart the computer, click Restart.

The computer restarts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.) When
you are finished working in Safe mode, use the System Configuration Utility
to start Windows XP in normal mode.

Regards,

Arun Aluvila.
August 8, 2005 2:37:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

For the IPCONFIG fix, first run CMD then type IPCONFIG. Any "DOS Window"
command entered at the RUN dialog will automatically return you back to
Windows XP when the command completes. CMD creates a "DOS Windows" that
stays opened until your enter the word EXIT (or click on the top X).

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I use Windows XP Pro.
>
> F8 does not get me to Safe mode but only to selection of Floppy or
> Harddrive.
>
> IPCONFIG in the Run position does not get me to the normal screen, but
> just a very quick flash of a screen.
>
> How do I fix both?

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:00:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

you can get to Safe via Run
msconfig
choose boot.ini tab then check /safeboot

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I use Windows XP Pro.
>
> F8 does not get me to Safe mode but only to selection of Floppy or
> Harddrive.
>
> IPCONFIG in the Run position does not get me to the normal screen, but
> just a very quick flash of a screen.
>
> How do I fix both?

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:12:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thank you all who responded.

I got it working again with all your help.

Thanks

!