Which WiFi card - which for anything else on T3?

October 19, 2004 2:09:02 PM

Hi

This is a great newsgroup to learn and to enjoy. I appreciate your recent
replies to my question of problems with my very sweet little but powerful kiddy
the Tungsten T3. I think its about time for me to add a WiFi ability to my T3.
Is it really working on the T3 like the one I have on my laptop when I go to
**** park and enjoy the (free) internet connection? Which card for the T3 is
best and easiest to install and use? ..and has a far reach?

Now, I also need desperately addition space on the T3. What is SD, MMC and the
other ones? I saw them on the PalmOne.com site but I just dont get it; what is
for what, Which card is for what use? Again, which one is the best?

Thanks again for your help.

And please dont go mad/wild if you this message on another Palm newsgroup. I
gather that not everyone here is there and vs versa.

THANKS again,
Sus

More about : wifi card

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:09:03 PM

In article <20041019060902.06839.00000736@mb-m15.aol.com>, EsFeS wrote:
> Now, I also need desperately addition space on the T3. What is SD, MMC and the
> other ones? I saw them on the PalmOne.com site but I just dont get it; what is
> for what, Which card is for what use? Again, which one is the best?

Palms (except for some special ones like certain Sonys and the TRG ones)
only take SD (Secure Digital) or MMC (MultiMedia Card). MMC is older, and
slower, but cheaper. It's getting a little harder to find these days. About
the only other difference is that SD cards have a write-protect switch.

> And please dont go mad/wild if you this message on another Palm newsgroup. I
> gather that not everyone here is there and vs versa.

There is something called "crossposting". The same message can go to
multiple groups. People who read multiple groups only have to see the
message once, it's more efficient in terms of space and bandidth, and
it's really easy to do. Check the docs for your newsreader.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

-----------------the joke--------------->

you ----> /|\

/ \
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:24:54 PM

On 19 Oct 2004 07:46:22 -0400, Ray Ingles wrote:
> In article <20041019060902.06839.00000736@mb-m15.aol.com>, EsFeS wrote:

>> Now, I also need desperately addition space on the T3. What is SD,
>> MMC and the other ones? I saw them on the PalmOne.com site but I
>> just dont get it; what is for what, Which card is for what use?
>> Again, which one is the best?

> Palms (except for some special ones like certain Sonys and the TRG
> ones) only take SD (Secure Digital) or MMC (MultiMedia Card). MMC is
> older, and slower, but cheaper. It's getting a little harder to find
> these days. About the only other difference is that SD cards have a
> write-protect switch.

For a T3 user, just go ahead and buy an SD. MMC's are slower but
cheaper, and tend not to come in as high capacities. Physically, in
addition to the addition of the write-protect switch, SD cards are
thicker by 0.5 mm or so. The "Secure" in SD refers to their inclusion
of Digital Rights Managment (DRM), which has no benefit for the
consumer: it only benefits large corporate copyright holders, and
wastes space on the card itself for the DRM information. I.e. a 64 MB
MMC will have more free space than a 64 MB SD when loaded with the
same.

For a more detailed explanation on the various cards other Palms use,
read on....

All current PalmOne devices with slots (that's everything except the
lowest-end Zire) have SD/MMC slots which are supposedly SDIO
compatible. MMC is for memory only, while SD cards can do other
things: WiFi, cameras, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. However, due to
limitations in the hardware or driver support, the SDIO cards often
limited to certain devices: e.g. Palm's Bluetooth card is for OS4
devices only, while the Wi-Fi card is available for a few of the
high-end OS5 devices.

Tapwave's Zodiac 1 & 2 have two SD/MMC slots, one for memory only, and
one which can do memory or SDIO, though I'm not sure if there are any
SDIO cards which support the Zodiac yet. Rumor has it that a Zodiac
compatible SDIO Wi-Fi card will be released in the near future.

All Sony Clie devices take MemorySticks. Some of the more modern
Sonys are also compatible with MemoryStickPro cards. Some of the
Clie's also have Compact Flash slots, but depending on the
particulars, may not have drivers included at the factory for use with
memory cards (they have support for a few specific IO cards
e.g. Sony's Wi-Fi card). Third party drivers for memory cards might
be available.

Older Handspring Visors used Springboards, and there existed adapters
to allow the use of other memory cards. TRG (which later changed its
name to Handera) made the TRGPro and the Handera 330, both of which
included Compact Flash, and the latter including an SD/MMC slot as
well.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

"Alan Hoyle" <alanh@unc.edu> wrote in message
> The "Secure" in SD refers to their inclusion
> of Digital Rights Managment (DRM), which has no benefit for the
> consumer: it only benefits large corporate copyright holders, and
> wastes space on the card itself for the DRM information. I.e. a 64 MB
> MMC will have more free space than a 64 MB SD when loaded with the
> same.

Is this true of MemoryStick's MagicGate, too? I see it's impossible to get
a large MS without MagicGate.

Jim
October 20, 2004 5:10:29 AM

Yes, MagicGate is Sony's DRM media...

--
tim@palmzone.net
http://www.palmzone.net

"Jim MacKenzie" <jim@dusykbarlow.sk.ca> wrote in message

> "Alan Hoyle" <alanh@unc.edu> wrote in message
>> The "Secure" in SD refers to their inclusion
>> of Digital Rights Managment (DRM), which has no benefit for the
>> consumer: it only benefits large corporate copyright holders, and
>> wastes space on the card itself for the DRM information. I.e. a 64 MB
>> MMC will have more free space than a 64 MB SD when loaded with the
>> same.
>
> Is this true of MemoryStick's MagicGate, too? I see it's impossible to
> get a large MS without MagicGate.
>
> Jim

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 11:58:55 AM

"EsFeS" <esfes@aol.com> wrote in message

> Which card for the T3 is
> best and easiest to install and use? ..and has a far reach?

Well, there is really only one choice for a wifi card for the T3. This card
is from PalmOne, and works with the zire 72, the T3, and the T5.

There is also a wifi card from SanDisk..but it only works with the zire 71.

So, you don't really have much choice in which card you purchase....as the
only one for the t3 is from PalmOne.

At least we now got 3 models that work with this card. And, the sandisk for
the zire 71 and the palm c means we got about 5 choices for wifi now....

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Albert D. Kallal wrote:

> Well, there is really only one choice for a wifi card for the T3. This
> card is from PalmOne, and works with the zire 72, the T3, and the T5.
>
> There is also a wifi card from SanDisk..but it only works with the zire
> 71.

Do they have Palm drivers for that now? Last I looked, their webpage said
it had "support for Palm Zire 71", but they don't have any drivers for it
for the Palm downloadable, and the "Interactive Installation and Users
Guide" only talks about using it with a Pocket PC... I see their
"Compatability Chart" now actually lists the Zire 71 (which it didn't early
this year, if I remember right), but there's still no driver download for
it.

I guess what I'd really like to hear before buying one is if somebody out
there actually has it working!

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 10:42:20 AM

"Travis Casey" <efindel@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Albert D. Kallal wrote:
>
>> Well, there is really only one choice for a wifi card for the T3. This
>> card is from PalmOne, and works with the zire 72, the T3, and the T5.
>>
>> There is also a wifi card from SanDisk..but it only works with the zire
>> 71.
>
> Do they have Palm drivers for that now? Last I looked, their webpage said
> it had "support for Palm Zire 71",

Gee, I assume they are somewhere (I don't know where!!). You could perhaps
start another post...

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:27:14 PM

Albert,

In article <3Vodd.777533$M95.374642@pd7tw1no>, "Albert D. Kallal"
<PleaseNOOOsPAMMkallal@msn.com> writes:

>So, you don't really have much choice in which card you purchase....as the
>only one for the t3 is from PalmOne.

What I will have to do is go to a store where I can try it before I buy it and
see how it works. Do you have any idea how far from the WIFi card picks up an
internet connection?

thanx,
Sus S.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:27:15 PM

HI

In article <slrncna007.lm6.sorceror@dmc22317.local>, Ray Ingles
<sorceror@dmc22317.local> writes:

> Palms (except for some special ones like certain Sonys and the TRG ones)
>only take SD (Secure Digital) or MMC (MultiMedia Card). MMC is older, and
>slower, but cheaper. It's getting a little harder to find these days. About
>the only other difference is that SD cards have a write-protect switch.

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me.

thanx,
Sus S.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:27:15 PM

Alan,

In article <2tkpu5F2125uoU1@uni-berlin.de>, Alan Hoyle <alanh@unc.edu> writes:

>For a T3 user, just go ahead and buy an SD. MMC's are slower but
>cheaper, and tend not to come in as high capacities. Physically, in
>addition to the addition of the write-protect switch, SD cards are
>thicker by 0.5 mm or so. The "Secure" in SD refers to their inclusion
>of Digital Rights Managment (DRM), which has no benefit for the
>consumer: it only benefits large corporate copyright holders, and
>wastes space on the card itself for the DRM information. I.e. a 64 MB
>MMC will have more free space than a 64 MB SD when loaded with the
>same.

Hey! Thanks so much for the answer at length. I appreciate it.

thanx,
Sus S.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 4:23:35 AM

On 22-Oct-2004, esfes@aol.comWALLS (S. f. S.) Flushed this thought from his
brain to the screen::

> What I will have to do is go to a store where I can try it before I buy it and
> see how it works. Do you have any idea how far from the WIFi card picks up an
> internet connection?

Good luck trying to find a store that will tear open the card for you...
I get about 50' max (though many walls) with my Z72 and wifi card. (Although it
will detect a neighbor's router from 4 houses away!)

WyreNut

- Oscar Wilde
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 8:21:41 PM

Oscar Wilde,

In article <bwhed.303780$3l3.28014@attbi_s03>, "WyreNut" <Me@home.biz> writes:

> Good luck trying to find a store that will tear open the card for
you...
>I get about 50' max (though many walls) with my Z72 and wifi card. (Although
>it
>will detect a neighbor's router from 4 houses away!)

Thats whatr i m trying to do. ONe neighbor said I may use their WiFi if my
computer picks it up. My laptop WiFi picks it up if I am a bit closer to my
neighbor's place. Can you please tell me how I can extend the power of my WiFi
card on my Laptop? I am using a Proxim Gold 802.11b/g. It has a tiny hole to
add (an antena?).

>WyreNut

Or shouldit be WireLess Nut? (*_-)

>I am not young enough to know everything.

I AM. and you see I dont.

thanx,
Sus S.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 12:47:55 AM

On 24-Oct-2004, esfes@aol.comWALLS (S. f. S.) Flushed this thought from his
brain to the screen::

> That's whatr i m trying to do. ONe neighbor said I may use their WiFi if my
> computer picks it up. My laptop WiFi picks it up if I am a bit closer to my
> neighbor's place. Can you please tell me how I can extend the power of my WiFi
> card on my Laptop? I am using a Proxim Gold 802.11b/g. It has a tiny hole to
> add (an antena?).

Well, you could buy your neighbor a "Range Extender" if he's that generous to
let you piggyback onto his network. It's just another box with an antenna that
acts as a "repeater" -- picks up the signals and resends them.
As far as boosting the reception on your WiFi card, I don't have any
suggestions. I've heard of using a Pringles can but can't remember if it goes
on the receiver or transmitter? Anyone out there fill us in on this rumour?

> Or shouldit be WireLess Nut? (*_-)

Heh heh... I first considered LockNut (being an Electrician/ET), but that began
to sound like a urological problem...When I'm sarcastic, it's WryNut, etc...

WyreNut

--
Remember! Always Eschew Obfuscation!!
Anonymous

In article <%xUed.308597$D%.142677@attbi_s51>, WyreNut wrote:
> As far as boosting the reception on your WiFi card, I don't have any
> suggestions. I've heard of using a Pringles can but can't remember if it goes
> on the receiver or transmitter? Anyone out there fill us in on this rumour?

It can go on either the receiver or the transmitter (or both, for real
long-distance). Unless you want to bust out a soldering iron, though,
you must have a connection for the antenna to plug into on the card or
access point. You can buy a directional antenna, or make one if you're
cheap and/or adventurous.

Google for "wifi directional antenna" and/or "wifi cantenna".

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"I can't think of a worse way to wake up than discovering
my head is in a jar." - Tagon
"Try waking up with your head in a jar and having deja-vu."
- Der Trihs.
- Schlock Mercenary, http://www.schlockmercenary.com/
October 25, 2004 5:06:35 PM

On 24 Oct 2004 16:21:41 GMT, S. f. S. wrote:

> Can you please tell me how I can extend the power of my WiFi
> card on my Laptop? I am using a Proxim Gold 802.11b/g. It has a tiny hole to
> add (an antena?).

O'Reilly is considered by many to be the premier publisher of
books on computer topics and their recent "Wireless Hacks" probably
has the information you need. I recall hearing someone on a
computer radio show mention about a year ago that the as-yet
unreleased book would include simple on how to build simple antenna
boosters. The "Pringles Can Waveguide" chapter is probably one of
those. Part of its table of contents is listed below. The book is
described at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelesshks/

and there's also a bit of useful information (under "Antenna tips
and tricks") near the bottom of the page at:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/03/02/802...

> Chapter 4. Hardware Hacks
> 43. Add-on Laptop Antennas
> 44. Increasing the Range of a Titanium PowerBook
> 45. WET11 Upgrades
> 46. AirPort Linux
> 47. Java Configurator for AirPort APs
> 48. Apple Software Base Station
> 49. Adding an Antenna to the AirPort
> 50. The NoCat Night Light
> 51. Do-It-Yourself Access Point Hardware
> 52. Compact Flash Hard Drive
> 53. Pebble
> 54. Tunneling: IPIP Encapsulation
> 55. Tunneling: GRE Encapsulation
> 56. Running Your Own Top-Level Domain
> 57. Getting Started with Host AP
> 58. Make Host AP a Layer 2 Bridge
> 59. Bridging with a Firewall
> 60. MAC Filtering with Host AP
> 61. Hermes AP
> 62. Microwave Cabling Guide
> 63. Microwave Connector Reference
> 64. Antenna Guide
> 65. Client Capability Reference Chart
> 66. Pigtails
> 67. 802.11 Hardware Suppliers
> 68. Home-Brew Power over Ethernet
> 69. Cheap but Effective Roof Mounts
>

> Chapter 5. Do-It-Yourself Antennas
> 70. Deep Dish Cylindrical Parabolic Reflector
> 71. "Spider" Omni
> 72. Pringles Can Waveguide
> 73. Pirouette Can Waveguide
> 74. Primestar Dish with Waveguide Feed
> 75. BiQuad Feed for Primestar Dish
> 76. Cut Cable Omni Antenna
> 77. Slotted Waveguides
> 78. The Passive Repeater
> 79. Determining Antenna Gain
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 11:39:15 PM

>"EsFeS" <esfes@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> Which card for the T3 is
>> best and easiest to install and use? ..and has a far reach?

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:58:55 GMT, "Albert D. Kallal"
<PleaseNOOOsPAMMkallal@msn.com> wrote:
>Well, there is really only one choice for a wifi card for the T3. This card
>is from PalmOne, and works with the zire 72, the T3, and the T5.
>
>There is also a wifi card from SanDisk..but it only works with the zire 71.

However, Enfora's WiFi external modem-in-a-case also works with the T3. It
has its own battery so you get longer run times than when using the WiFi
card, and your SD card slot is free for other things.
--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.