Memster1

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002
I have a buggy HD that required a complete wipe of it and a reinstall of WIN 98 first edition.

I reinstalled with no issues, and began adding back video drivers, updating email/internet explorer, etc... All worked fine until last night, when I botted PC up it said I developed bad sectors, run scan disk. I did overnight, nothing was found.

I boot up fine and can dial into internet, but can not get a web page or email. Also I can not open MY computer or control panel.

ANY ideas?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may still have bad sectors.

Use the hard drive manufacturer's disk utility to test the drive. If it comes out clean, use the utility to low level format the disk, which will mark the bad sectors. Afterwards, use a Win98 boot disk to repartition/format the disk, and reinstall the operating system.

If the hard drive fails the testing, and is still under warranty, send it back. If not, replace it with a new drive.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

Memster1

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002
I ran the utility and all is well with the disk. It seemed to be a bad file mshtml.dll. I went into DOS, deleted the file and reinstalled 98. PC seems fine so far. I'll put it through its paces for a bit and if the symptoms return, I'll go through the procedure you outlined.

Thanks for your advice!!

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
try replacing the ATA cable for the drive if you got a spare, weird but it solved my corrupted files problem a while back. but had to format and start everything fresh, also when installing 98se pick custom and remove everything so you get the basic OS and no toys you wouldn't need anyway (can add what needed later anyway) so less chance for problems

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>