Picture display problem

Dear All,
Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but perhaps someone can help
please.

On some WebPages, instead of a picture, I get the picture placeholder
showing with a red X.
I am running IE 6 with all the updates, and also Norton Internet Security
2005. I have checked all settings I can think of, without success.

I would be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direct.
Yours
Barry

Barry Angus

District Secretary
Penarth District Scout Council
Website:- www.penarthscouts.org.uk
e-mail: penarth.districtsecretary@ntlworld.com
This e-mail has been scanned for Viruses prior to sending by Norton's Anti
Virus.
4 answers Last reply
More about picture display problem

    I recently installed a 90 trial version of Norton Internet Security Suite
    and had the same problem. I uninstalled it and installed AVG 7.0 Free Edition
    instead. I found that Norton let in a whole bunch of trojans, viruses and
    other threats.

    We use Norton at work and we get attacked constantly. I found that AVG and
    Sygate Personal Firewall do a better job at blocking threats.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "Barry Angus" wrote:

    > Dear All,
    > Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but perhaps someone can help
    > please.
    >
    > On some WebPages, instead of a picture, I get the picture placeholder
    > showing with a red X.
    > I am running IE 6 with all the updates, and also Norton Internet Security
    > 2005. I have checked all settings I can think of, without success.
    >
    > I would be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direct.
    > Yours
    > Barry

    > Barry Angus
    >
    > District Secretary
    > Penarth District Scout Council
    > Website:- www.penarthscouts.org.uk
    > e-mail: penarth.districtsecretary@ntlworld.com
    > This e-mail has been scanned for Viruses prior to sending by Norton's Anti
    > Virus.

    Hi Barry,

    As the problem occurs on certain Web sites, it should be due to temp files/
    objects. Delete these using the following steps:

    1. Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer.
    2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
    3. On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files.
    4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the Delete all offline
    content check box , and then click OK.
    5. Now, click the delete cookies button.
    6. On the General tab, click setting and then click “view objects.�
    7. Delete all objects listed.

    Check whether the problem persists. If yes try the following KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807

    Cheers,

    Arun Aluvila

    Has anyone tried the avg anti-virus with firewall version? I was wondering
    if their firewall is any good. If it is i'd rather have one software
    installation handle both things. I'd only have to deal with one company for
    programs and updates that way.

    "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently installed a 90 trial version of Norton Internet Security Suite
    > and had the same problem. I uninstalled it and installed AVG 7.0 Free
    > Edition
    > instead. I found that Norton let in a whole bunch of trojans, viruses and
    > other threats.
    >
    > We use Norton at work and we get attacked constantly. I found that AVG and
    > Sygate Personal Firewall do a better job at blocking threats.
    > --
    > That's just like my opinion, Man........
    >

    > "Barry Angus" wrote:
    >

    >> Dear All,
    >> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but perhaps someone can help
    >> please.
    >>
    >> On some WebPages, instead of a picture, I get the picture placeholder
    >> showing with a red X.
    >> I am running IE 6 with all the updates, and also Norton Internet Security
    >> 2005. I have checked all settings I can think of, without success.
    >>
    >> I would be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direct.
    >> Yours
    >> Barry
    >>

    >> --
    >> Barry Angus
    >>
    >> District Secretary
    >> Penarth District Scout Council
    >> Website:- www.penarthscouts.org.uk
    >> e-mail: penarth.districtsecretary@ntlworld.com
    >> This e-mail has been scanned for Viruses prior to sending by Norton's
    >> Anti
    >> Virus.

    Dear Arun
    Tried everything you suggested, thanks, but no change, I also completely
    uninstalled the Norton's Security package, still no change. I then just
    installed Norton AV, still no change, also check out the KB article and
    tried everything, except doing a full system restore to a previous date,
    which I am now going to do tomorrow.
    In the meantime, many thanks
    Barry
    "Arun Aluvila" <ArunAluvila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Hi Barry,
    >
    > As the problem occurs on certain Web sites, it should be due to temp
    > files/
    > objects. Delete these using the following steps:
    >
    > 1. Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer.
    > 2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet
    > Options.
    > 3. On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files.
    > 4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the Delete all offline
    > content check box , and then click OK.
    > 5. Now, click the delete cookies button.
    > 6. On the General tab, click setting and then click "view objects."
    > 7. Delete all objects listed.
    >
    > Check whether the problem persists. If yes try the following KB article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Arun Aluvila

Windows XP