Is a P4 3Ghz a P4 3Ghz?

aaron1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
I saw a website advertising an Intel 3.06GHz (512k) Northwood B 533Mhz FSB HyperThread processor for about 100$ more than most other sites. Notice they call it a "Northwood B". The other sites do not refer to it as this. Is this the same thing as every other P4 3 Ghz that I have seen advertised for 100-150$ less? Or is there actually a difference?

dhlucke

Polypheme
As I understand it...

The original Northwood had a 400MHz FSB and then it was updated to have a 533Mhz FSB.

I don't think they are releasing a 3.06 Ghz P4 with a 400Mhz FSB though.

The Northwood B is coming out in April with a 800Mhz FSB. The 3.06 Ghz will be released with the new FSB.

Some places are more expensive than others.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, here's the deal: Seriously

Too many people are calling these things by too many different names! Many enthusiast are calling the P4 2.4/400 a 2.4A, while they refer to the 2.4/533 as the 2.4B. Of course, Intel doesn't do that. So what you're left with is the fact that many people call the A a B if it's "533" bus, but that Intel won't be calling it a "B" until it's an 800 bus. Confused?

All P4 3.06 CPU's are 533 bus. There is no 3.00GHz/400 bus CPU. So all these guys are selling the same thing.

If you can get a retail CPU for $20 more than an OEM CPU, you'd be a lot better off, as OEM CPU's come with no WARRANTY. The included heatsink is another reason to go Retail.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
In answer to your question, there is only one P4 3.06GHz. Regardless of how they put a spin on it to make it sound better. They all have 533MHz FSB and come with Hyperthreading.

Listen to me now and forget me tomorrow