Disabled Wallpaper?

My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected with
some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend Micro,
Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with replaced her
desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my ability
to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop ,but can
not select any replacement wallpaper.

What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?

Thanks!

Ross
10 answers Last reply
More about disabled wallpaper

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:

    > My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected with
    > some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend Micro,
    > Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with replaced her
    > desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my ability
    > to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop ,but can
    > not select any replacement wallpaper.
    >
    > What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

    Right click on a blank area of the Desktop, choose Properties, Desktop
    tab, Customize Desktop, Web. Click on the entries shown in the Web
    Pages box and click properties to find the name of the file. Then
    uncheck / delete all entries in that window. OK out. Lastly search the
    drive for that file to see if it's still around and delete it if it is.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected with
    > some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend Micro,
    > Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with replaced her
    > desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my ability
    > to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop ,but can
    > not select any replacement wallpaper.
    >
    > What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?

    How come you can't select any other wallpaper? I mean, aren't there any
    other files to select from? Is the background-tab gone? What does it look
    like? Also, you might wanna go to some webpage, find yourself a graphic and
    let the browser replace the wallpaper with it. That might fix things.

    (on a footnote, consider using Firefox if you don't want malware infections
    by just surfing some sites)

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes (Line 142)

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:

    > My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected with
    > some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend Micro,
    > Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with replaced her
    > desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my ability
    > to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop ,but can
    > not select any replacement wallpaper.
    >
    > What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

    Thanks! Now to try it out.........

    Ross

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes (Line 142)
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    >
    > > My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected with
    > > some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend Micro,
    > > Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with replaced
    her
    > > desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my
    ability
    > > to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop ,but
    can
    > > not select any replacement wallpaper.
    > >
    > > What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Ross

    The replace wallpaper ability in XP seems disabled.

    "Martijn Saly" <martijn@thany.org> wrote in message
    > Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > > My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected with
    > > some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend Micro,
    > > Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with replaced
    her
    > > desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my
    ability
    > > to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop ,but
    can
    > > not select any replacement wallpaper.
    > >
    > > What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?
    >
    > How come you can't select any other wallpaper? I mean, aren't there any
    > other files to select from? Is the background-tab gone? What does it look
    > like? Also, you might wanna go to some webpage, find yourself a graphic
    and
    > let the browser replace the wallpaper with it. That might fix things.
    >
    > (on a footnote, consider using Firefox if you don't want malware
    infections
    > by just surfing some sites)
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Martijn Saly

    Nope. That did not work.......

    "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks! Now to try it out.........
    >
    > Ross
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes (Line 142)
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > ssg MS-MVP
    > >
    > > Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > >
    > > > My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected
    with
    > > > some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend
    Micro,
    > > > Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with
    replaced
    > her
    > > > desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my
    > ability
    > > > to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop
    ,but
    > can
    > > > not select any replacement wallpaper.
    > > >
    > > > What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!
    > > >
    > > > Ross

    Next try! Thanks! Back in a sec.........

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    >
    > > My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected with
    > > some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend Micro,
    > > Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with replaced
    her
    > > desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my
    ability
    > > to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop ,but
    can
    > > not select any replacement wallpaper.
    > >
    > > What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Ross
    > >

    > Right click on a blank area of the Desktop, choose Properties, Desktop
    > tab, Customize Desktop, Web. Click on the entries shown in the Web
    > Pages box and click properties to find the name of the file. Then
    > uncheck / delete all entries in that window. OK out. Lastly search the
    > drive for that file to see if it's still around and delete it if it is.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    It might be something like this

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.desktophijack.html

    You could try this

    http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/

    Its got 3-4 variants of it in its database. It's
    only a trial for 30 days, BUT may remove it.

    > Next try! Thanks! Back in a sec.........
    >
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    >>
    >> > My wife was busy surfing some sites on her machine and got infected
    >> > with
    >> > some spyware and a virus or two. I cleaned up her machine (Trend
    >> > Micro,
    >> > Adaware and MS Antispy) but whatever she infected herself with replaced
    > her
    >> > desktop with a "You are infected!" graohic and somehow disabled my
    > ability
    >> > to change to something else. I do a right-click|properties|desktop
    >> > ,but
    > can
    >> > not select any replacement wallpaper.
    >> >
    >> > What turned-it-off/disabled it and how do I remable?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> >
    >> > Ross
    >> >

    >> Right click on a blank area of the Desktop, choose Properties, Desktop
    >> tab, Customize Desktop, Web. Click on the entries shown in the Web
    >> Pages box and click properties to find the name of the file. Then
    >> uncheck / delete all entries in that window. OK out. Lastly search the
    >> drive for that file to see if it's still around and delete it if it is.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rock
    >> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Well, I killed all infections, using MS-Antispyware, AdAware, Spybot, and
    NOD32, all in safe mode. Sheesh! Still have not been able to change
    wallpaper on the desktop: the menu of choices is still disabled.
    Right-Click - Properties - Desktop- Cusomize-Web Tab shows nothing. Now
    what?

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:

    > Well, I killed all infections, using MS-Antispyware, AdAware, Spybot,
    > and
    > NOD32, all in safe mode. Sheesh! Still have not been able to change
    > wallpaper on the desktop: the menu of choices is still disabled.
    > Right-Click - Properties - Desktop- Cusomize-Web Tab shows nothing.
    > Now what?

    And you ran MVP Kelly Theriot's fix after all the spyware was gone?
    Wallpaper-Desktop-Disable Changing here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm

    If Display tabs are missing, run Kelly's registry edit on line 285,
    right-hand side "Restore all display tabs".

    Otherwise, try:

    Check to see if these Registry entries exist:

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GroupPolicyobject\{21A7BE9D-5027-49C1-B6F7-757B707E1C94}User\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
    If "GroupPolicyRefreshTime" and/or "GroupPolicyRefreshTimeOffset" are
    there, then delete them.

    HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System. If
    "GroupPolicyRefreshTime" and/or "GroupPolicyRefreshTimeOffset" are
    there, then delete them and then run the reg fix from Kelly's page.

    A default wallpaper called wp.bmp may be set in
    HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System created by the
    smitfraud.c virus. Remove that and you will be able to choose different
    wallpapers.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers