Dim 8400 question

I have a Dimension 8400. It has 512 meg of RAM. I was wondering how
many memory slots it has. I "think" I've seen where it has 3, so I
could then add another 256 meg chip. Also, when I had the case open
some months ago, I seem to recall seeing 3.

The question is: are there 2 or 3 memory slots? If 3, can I only add
another 256 meg chip ( to keep them all the same) or can I add a 512 meg
chip?

TIA

Tom S.
Houston, TX

simms ?

Does Dell actually sell computers using SIMMs ?

OregonMike

Four slots. You have two filled with matching memory. Buy two more
matching 256mb simms for a total of 1 gb.

"Tom Simchak" <tgsimchak@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 8400. It has 512 meg of RAM. I was wondering how many
>memory slots it has. I "think" I've seen where it has 3, so I could then
>add another 256 meg chip. Also, when I had the case open some months ago,
>I seem to recall seeing 3.
>
> The question is: are there 2 or 3 memory slots? If 3, can I only add
> another 256 meg chip ( to keep them all the same) or can I add a 512 meg
> chip?
>
> TIA
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

OK, I realize I gotta buy the RAM chips in pairs...can I buy 2 512 meg
chips (if I was so inclined) to get a total of 1.5 gig of RAM?

Would there be any real difference in performance over 1 gig? My CPU is
3.2 ghz. I do (once in a great while) some low-end video processing.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

> OK, I realize I gotta buy the RAM chips in pairs...can I buy 2 512 meg
> chips (if I was so inclined) to get a total of 1.5 gig of RAM?
>
> Would there be any real difference in performance over 1 gig? My CPU is
> 3.2 ghz. I do (once in a great while) some low-end video processing.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

I doubt you'd see a perceptible performance increase other than in perhaps
benchmark testing.

Yes, you could add a matched pair of 512mb DIMMs.....

Stew

OK, thanks to you and WSZer...

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Tom Simchak" <tgsimchak@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>OK, I realize I gotta buy the RAM chips in pairs...can I buy 2 512 meg
>>chips (if I was so inclined) to get a total of 1.5 gig of RAM?
>>
>>Would there be any real difference in performance over 1 gig? My CPU is
>>3.2 ghz. I do (once in a great while) some low-end video processing.
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>>

> I doubt you'd see a perceptible performance increase other than in perhaps
> benchmark testing.
>
> Yes, you could add a matched pair of 512mb DIMMs.....
>

> Stew

Yes, but it requires a special order! :)