Freezing during heavy disc access

I just upgraded my comp with a new mobo, processor, ram and video card.
Everythinh runs nice and snappy but if I go to transfer a nember of very
latge files from one of the comp's 3 drives to another, the comp will freeze
and I have to do a reset.
I'm wondering if the power supply might not have enough voltage to run all
of the new components. I've added a ABIT AN8 mobo, AMD 4600 X2 processor, BFG
6800 oc vid card. I'm also running 3 hard drives, 2 optical drives, case
lights, fans and a floppy.
The power supply is an Aspire 500 Watt.
I've checked event log and there is nothing concering the freezing.
Any ideas how to fix this if the ps is ok?
Thanks,
Edison

Dr. Edison wrote:
> I just upgraded my comp with a new mobo, processor, ram and video card.
> Everythinh runs nice and snappy but if I go to transfer a nember of very
> latge files from one of the comp's 3 drives to another, the comp will freeze
> and I have to do a reset.
> I'm wondering if the power supply might not have enough voltage to run all
> of the new components. I've added a ABIT AN8 mobo, AMD 4600 X2 processor, BFG
> 6800 oc vid card. I'm also running 3 hard drives, 2 optical drives, case
> lights, fans and a floppy.
> The power supply is an Aspire 500 Watt.
> I've checked event log and there is nothing concering the freezing.
> Any ideas how to fix this if the ps is ok?
> Thanks,
> Edison

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe your memory is broken? Try a tool
such as memtest86 which will basically stresstest your memory and report any
unexpected results. If it does, then return your memory...

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly

Thanks for helping, I ran memtest for 2 passes and all is well there

"Martijn Saly" wrote:

> Dr. Edison wrote:
> > I just upgraded my comp with a new mobo, processor, ram and video card.
> > Everythinh runs nice and snappy but if I go to transfer a nember of very
> > latge files from one of the comp's 3 drives to another, the comp will freeze
> > and I have to do a reset.
> > I'm wondering if the power supply might not have enough voltage to run all
> > of the new components. I've added a ABIT AN8 mobo, AMD 4600 X2 processor, BFG
> > 6800 oc vid card. I'm also running 3 hard drives, 2 optical drives, case
> > lights, fans and a floppy.
> > The power supply is an Aspire 500 Watt.
> > I've checked event log and there is nothing concering the freezing.
> > Any ideas how to fix this if the ps is ok?
> > Thanks,
> > Edison
>
> This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe your memory is broken? Try a tool
> such as memtest86 which will basically stresstest your memory and report any
> unexpected results. If it does, then return your memory...
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Martijn Saly

2 passes may not be enough!

Also, did you install/re-install the IDE drivers? These are usually part of
the chipset drivers.

"Dr. Edison" <DrEdison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for helping, I ran memtest for 2 passes and all is well there
>

> "Martijn Saly" wrote:
>
>> Dr. Edison wrote:
>> > I just upgraded my comp with a new mobo, processor, ram and video card.
>> > Everythinh runs nice and snappy but if I go to transfer a nember of
>> > very
>> > latge files from one of the comp's 3 drives to another, the comp will
>> > freeze
>> > and I have to do a reset.
>> > I'm wondering if the power supply might not have enough voltage to run
>> > all
>> > of the new components. I've added a ABIT AN8 mobo, AMD 4600 X2
>> > processor, BFG
>> > 6800 oc vid card. I'm also running 3 hard drives, 2 optical drives,
>> > case
>> > lights, fans and a floppy.
>> > The power supply is an Aspire 500 Watt.
>> > I've checked event log and there is nothing concering the freezing.
>> > Any ideas how to fix this if the ps is ok?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Edison
>>
>> This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe your memory is broken? Try a
>> tool
>> such as memtest86 which will basically stresstest your memory and report
>> any
>> unexpected results. If it does, then return your memory...
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Martijn Saly

I've tried both the Nvidia and MS IDE drivers. With either set, the machine
freezes during heve disc access. I ran Prime 95 for a couple hours and there
were no probs there. The temps are all nice and cool, everything is fast and
responsive, just the damn IDE issue. I'm thinking about installing the XP 64
bit and seeing what happens there.
Thanks, Edison

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> 2 passes may not be enough!
>
> Also, did you install/re-install the IDE drivers? These are usually part of
> the chipset drivers.
>

> "Dr. Edison" <DrEdison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for helping, I ran memtest for 2 passes and all is well there

> >> This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe your memory is broken? Try a
> >> tool
> >> such as memtest86 which will basically stresstest your memory and report
> >> any
> >> unexpected results. If it does, then return your memory...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Martijn Saly

Also check out the possibility of hardware incompatibility, also why not
run CHDSK and check fragmentation of HDD?

--
xy2z

Doesnt sound like a power supply problem.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/