Thermaltake volcano9+

Salemm

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
when tomshardware did their review of athlon xp processors they said they recommended using the volcano 9+ with its temperature sensor which they said should be attatched to the base of the cpu. First of all, does anyone know if the heatsink comes with the temperature sensor or must it be bought seperately?

Secondly, when they say attach it to the base of the cpu, what exactly do they mean. stick it underneath the processor, if this is what they mean then how is it possible? how would the wire for the sensor reach the heatsink or do they mean something else?

Thirdly, Im interested in a new heatsink because my cpu is running too hot. At least that's what the bios of the A7N8X is telling me, it says its running at 60 degrees celcius at idle, but asusprobe tells me its running at 48 degrees. Which should I believe?

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
doesn't sound like your having much of a temperature problem, since your not having system lockups. I myself have a volcano 9, and it works fine although it is a bit bulky. The hsf comes with the sensor, and yes, it comes with double stick tape that you attack to the bottom of the cpu, and thread the thin wires between the pins on the bottom of the cpu. It keeps my cpu running around 40C according to asus's probe, but I prefer using the fan control and letting it settle around 45C and cut down on the noise. I myself am using a 1900+ overclocked to 1660mhz

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

Salemm

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
right ok, but if Im going for as low a noise as possible with good cooling should I go for a volcano 7+ or the 9+?
The 9+ costs around $10 less than the 7+ here so the price doesnt really make a difference.