transferring ownership

An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different OS, but
a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of problem.

I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his neck,
asking him where it came from, and such.

What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on his
computer to prevent the above from happening?
14 answers Last reply
More about transferring ownership

    John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt wrote:

    > An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different OS, but
    > a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of problem.
    >
    > I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his neck,
    > asking him where it came from, and such.
    >
    > What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on his
    > computer to prevent the above from happening?

    If it's an OEM version, per the EULA it's bound to the first computer on
    which it's installed and can't be moved to a different one. If it's
    retail, then no problems - just give it to him.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    OEM versions of Windows XP are non-transferable.
    The license is tied directly to the computer it was
    originally installed on. It will not activate on a different
    computer.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" wrote:

    | An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different OS, but
    | a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of problem.
    |
    | I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his neck,
    | asking him where it came from, and such.
    |
    | What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on his
    | computer to prevent the above from happening?

    Everyone else is arguing whether or not it can legally be done, and they
    have missed the most important part of your post. Your friend is having
    lots of problems with windows 98 SE. Just switching over to XP via any
    avenue will NOT help him (or her) a bit until the primary problem (whatever
    that might be) is taken care of. You might want to post some detail about
    what it is doing, and get some help to get it running decently in 98 before
    trying to upgrade.

    "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" <John Jacob Jingleheimer
    Schmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different OS,
    > but
    > a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of
    > problem.
    >
    > I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his neck,
    > asking him where it came from, and such.
    >
    > What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on
    > his
    > computer to prevent the above from happening?

    In news:819E098B-5FA0-4F7D-9879-749BD82AD06F@microsoft.com,
    John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt <John Jacob Jingleheimer
    Schmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a
    > different
    > OS, but a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is
    > having
    > lots of problem.
    >
    > I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing
    > down his
    > neck, asking him where it came from, and such.
    >
    > What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and
    > installing it
    > on his computer to prevent the above from happening?

    First of all, note that any copy of Windows that's not a volume
    license is licensed for a single machine. The license prohibits
    your putting it on two machines.

    Second, if it came with your computer, it may be BIOS-locked to
    your computer, and not work on his at all.

    Third, if it came with your computer, it's an OEM version and its
    license ties it permanently to the first machine it's installed
    on. Even if you took it off your machine and it physically worked
    on his, you're not permitted to do this.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Also note that OEM edition will not do Upgrades. You will have to format
    the hard drive as part of the XP Home installation. This will delete all
    files.

    "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    > Everyone else is arguing whether or not it can legally be done, and they
    > have missed the most important part of your post. Your friend is having
    > lots of problems with windows 98 SE. Just switching over to XP via any
    > avenue will NOT help him (or her) a bit until the primary problem
    > (whatever that might be) is taken care of. You might want to post some
    > detail about what it is doing, and get some help to get it running
    > decently in 98 before trying to upgrade.
    >
    > "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" <John Jacob Jingleheimer
    > Schmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different OS,
    >> but
    >> a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his
    >> neck,
    >> asking him where it came from, and such.
    >>
    >> What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on
    >> his
    >> computer to prevent the above from happening?

    Oem versions have to be sold with some piece of hardware. You can do
    upgrades on your computer and still use that CD so the question of what
    hardware is tied to the CD is open to your interpretation.

    So if you really want to stay compliant with the MS EULA (or even care since
    it's a total joke anyway) when you give your friend your copy of WinXP give
    him a piece of hardware as well. You know that little cable that runs from
    your cd-rom to the motherboard so you can hear cd's directly from the cd-rom
    and only costs about a buck? That's all it takes to be compliant with the
    EULA.

    There are websites that sell the OEM CD by itself but toss that cable in for
    free so they can be compliant with the whole 'hardware' issue. Just consider
    It to be the original hardware that is forever linked to the WinXP CD as
    described in the EULA. The rest of your friends computer is just upgraded
    parts. That's all it takes.

    Oh, be sure to sell it to him for the cost of his cable from his computer so
    you can put that one in your computer.

    In news:%23Ymc5eFnFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Jack Handey <nothere@overthere.com> typed:

    > Oem versions have to be sold with some piece of hardware. You
    > can do
    > upgrades on your computer and still use that CD so the question
    > of
    > what hardware is tied to the CD is open to your interpretation.
    >
    > So if you really want to stay compliant with the MS EULA (or
    > even
    > care since it's a total joke anyway) when you give your friend
    > your
    > copy of WinXP give him a piece of hardware as well. You know
    > that
    > little cable that runs from your cd-rom to the motherboard so
    > you can
    > hear cd's directly from the cd-rom and only costs about a buck?
    > That's all it takes to be compliant with the EULA.

    No, this is *not* correct. You can buy it with almost any piece
    of hardware initially, but the EULA requires that once it's
    installed, it can never be transferred except with the machine
    it's originally installed on.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > There are websites that sell the OEM CD by itself but toss that
    > cable
    > in for free so they can be compliant with the whole 'hardware'
    > issue.
    > Just consider It to be the original hardware that is forever
    > linked
    > to the WinXP CD as described in the EULA. The rest of your
    > friends
    > computer is just upgraded parts. That's all it takes.
    >
    > Oh, be sure to sell it to him for the cost of his cable from
    > his
    > computer so you can put that one in your computer.

    >> In news:819E098B-5FA0-4F7D-9879-749BD82AD06F@microsoft.com,
    >> John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt <John Jacob Jingleheimer
    >> Schmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a
    >>> different OS, but a friend of mine is using *groan* windows
    >>> 98 SE
    >>> and is having lots of problem.
    >>>
    >>> I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing
    >>> down his
    >>> neck, asking him where it came from, and such.
    >>>
    >>> What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and
    >>> installing it
    >>> on his computer to prevent the above from happening?
    >>

    >> First of all, note that any copy of Windows that's not a
    >> volume
    >> license is licensed for a single machine. The license
    >> prohibits your
    >> putting it on two machines.
    >>
    >> Second, if it came with your computer, it may be BIOS-locked
    >> to your
    >> computer, and not work on his at all.
    >>
    >> Third, if it came with your computer, it's an OEM version and
    >> its
    >> license ties it permanently to the first machine it's
    >> installed on.
    >> Even if you took it off your machine and it physically worked
    >> on
    >> his, you're not permitted to do this.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" wrote

    > An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different OS,
    > but
    > a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of
    > problem.
    >
    > I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his neck,
    > asking him where it came from, and such.
    >
    > What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on
    > his
    > computer to prevent the above from happening?

    If it's a generic OEM version and it's been over 120 days since the computer
    that now houses the XP HE, you can just give it to him and he can install
    it, update it and enjoy it. If it's been less time, your friend may have to
    make a phone call to MS and tell them he "upgraded" his machine. If it's a
    retail version of XP HE, you can give it to him with MS's blessings. What
    you do with your own property is not the business of MS, regardless of what
    their never proven to be legal EULA says.

    If it's a restore disk, not a generic OEM or retail version, it will only
    work on your computer.

    Alias

    > OEM versions of Windows XP are non-transferable.
    > The license is tied directly to the computer it was
    > originally installed on. It will not activate on a different
    > computer.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    Why do you LIE!? If it's a generic OEM and it's been over 120 days since the
    last hardware change, it can be installed, activated and validated on any
    computer that can handle XP and you know it! Only OEM versions that are
    bundled with HP/Packard Bell/et al are "tied to the computer it was
    originally installed on".

    Alias

    > "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" wrote:
    >
    > | An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different
    > OS, but
    > | a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of
    > problem.
    > |
    > | I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his
    > neck,
    > | asking him where it came from, and such.
    > |
    > | What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on
    > his
    > | computer to prevent the above from happening?

    OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than
    one computer system even if the original machine is no longer in use. The end
    user license agreement (EULA) accepted by the customer before they use the
    software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to or used
    concurrently on different computers. The OEM is required to provide end-user
    support for the Windows license. An OEM can not support a license that has
    been moved from a PC they manufactured to one that they did not — this is a
    fundamental reason why OEM licenses can't be transferred.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than
    > one computer system even if the original machine is no longer in use.

    First lie as they *can*. You should word it, "MS doesn't want you to move it
    but, technically, it can be done."

    > The end
    > user license agreement (EULA) accepted by the customer before they use the
    > software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to or
    > used
    > concurrently on different computers.

    Not the law and if you elect to not accept the force-fed EULA, you can't get
    your money back. Heard of Catch 22, Carey?

    > The OEM is required to provide end-user
    > support for the Windows license. An OEM can not support a license that has
    > been moved from a PC they manufactured to one that they did not — this
    > is a
    > fundamental reason why OEM licenses can't be transferred.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User

    Second lie. They *can* be transferred and it isn't illegal until MS takes
    someone to court who loses which will never happen.

    Alias

    > "Alias" wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you LIE!? If it's a generic OEM and it's been over 120 days since
    >> the
    >> last hardware change, it can be installed, activated and validated on any
    >> computer that can handle XP and you know it! Only OEM versions that are
    >> bundled with HP/Packard Bell/et al are "tied to the computer it was
    >> originally installed on".
    >>
    >> Alias

    If the OP does "transfer" the XP Home, then they may "void" the warranty of
    their PC. Their PC came with XP Home and that may be part of the
    requirement of the warranty. Also, if they did do an upgrade to XP Pro,
    from XP Home, then the XP Home license is "integrated" with the Pro license.

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more
    >> than
    >> one computer system even if the original machine is no longer in use.
    >
    > First lie as they *can*. You should word it, "MS doesn't want you to move
    > it but, technically, it can be done."
    >
    >> The end
    >> user license agreement (EULA) accepted by the customer before they use
    >> the
    >> software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to or
    >> used
    >> concurrently on different computers.
    >
    > Not the law and if you elect to not accept the force-fed EULA, you can't
    > get your money back. Heard of Catch 22, Carey?
    >
    >> The OEM is required to provide end-user
    >> support for the Windows license. An OEM can not support a license that
    >> has
    >> been moved from a PC they manufactured to one that they did not â?" this
    >> is a
    >> fundamental reason why OEM licenses can't be transferred.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Second lie. They *can* be transferred and it isn't illegal until MS takes
    > someone to court who loses which will never happen.
    >
    > Alias
    >

    >> "Alias" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why do you LIE!? If it's a generic OEM and it's been over 120 days since
    >>> the
    >>> last hardware change, it can be installed, activated and validated on
    >>> any
    >>> computer that can handle XP and you know it! Only OEM versions that are
    >>> bundled with HP/Packard Bell/et al are "tied to the computer it was
    >>> originally installed on".
    >>>
    >>> Alias

    John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt wrote:
    > An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different OS, but
    > a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of problem.
    >
    > I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his neck,
    > asking him where it came from, and such.
    >
    > What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on his
    > computer to prevent the above from happening?

    Give him the entire computer. You have an OEM license, which is
    *permanently* bound to the computer with which it was purchased. The
    only legitimate way to transfer ownership of that OEM WinXP license is
    to transfer ownership of the entire computer.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBKYWNvYiBKaW5nbGVoZWltZXIgU2NobWlkdA==?= wrote:

    > An XP home edition CD came with my computer. I know use a different OS, but
    > a friend of mine is using *groan* windows 98 SE and is having lots of problem.

    98SE is a most excellent OS. Also note that you dont upgrade your OS to
    fix existing problems with your current OS. Find out what is causing the
    problems first or your friend may be worse off. For example, I've often
    seen cases like this, and the "problems" with 98SE was that the owner
    kept installing old win95 drivers and software, thus causing the
    problems. Give your buddy XP and what, he'll go put on nortons that he
    got for his old win95?

    Are his problems hardware related? Mismatched ram perhaps? If so, then
    XP will run even worse or not at all.

    > I want to give him my CD but don't want microsoft breathing down his neck,
    > asking him where it came from, and such.
    >
    > What would I need to do prior to giving him the CD and installing it on his
    > computer to prevent the above from happening?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

Microsoft Computers CD-Rom Windows XP