Funhouse dummy question, Help???

Ace

Ok this time I will call him dummy since I spelled his name wrong last time.
I just bought a funhouse but his jaw does not work correctly. It will close
but that is it. It looks like it wants to barely move up and down when he
is talking. You can hardly see it move. If you have it in the open
position when you shoot the ball down his mouth it closes and the ball gets
trapped. I ran a test and it told me to check dummy opto board. When I got
the game the jaw was unplugged from the little board and it was zip tied so
it would not move. I am also wondering if there is suppose to be a spring on
the jaw ? Can anyone help? Other then buying some plastic this is my only
problem. Oh yea one more question. When you hit his mouth with the ball
when it is closed doesn't the game score points? If so how does this
happen? There are no switched hooked to his jaw to tell it is being hit by
the ball. In my manual it says this is a pre-production machine. Does that
mean anything? Sorry for the long post. But this is one pin I have really
being wanting and I hate that it does not fully work. Thanks Phil

Sounds like two separate issues.
The first one is the jaw not moving properly. There are two gears that
control the movement on the mouth. Also there is a spring on each side of
the jaw as well. Sounds like you might be missing this. Check the movement
of the jaw manually and determine if the gears are functional. Might also
need to replace the two gears and perhaps the jaw motor. Run the jaw test in
test mode and see what errors if any...

The second issue is the jaw optics:

go into switch test mode and determine if the optics work in front of Rudy's
mouth. If you look closely you will see that there are two optics (receive
and transmit) in the lane in front of Rudy. (sounds like you may have run
this test?) It is possible that the optics need to be replaced. You can
attempt to clean them with a Q-tip and Windex first and see if that helps.
Otherwise you may need to replace the optics. Also follow the wires from the
optics under the playfield and determine which board they connect to. You
might have a cold solder connection that needs reflowing.

Good luck and remember: "HEY, Its only Pinball..."

--

John Arriola

John Arriola wrote:
> Sounds like two separate issues.
> The first one is the jaw not moving properly. There are two gears that
> control the movement on the mouth. Also there is a spring on each side of
> the jaw as well. Sounds like you might be missing this. Check the movement
> of the jaw manually and determine if the gears are functional. Might also
> need to replace the two gears and perhaps the jaw motor. Run the jaw test in
> test mode and see what errors if any...

Just as likely is a blown driver transistor. FH uses two transistors
for Rudy's mouth, one for "motor on", and one for "direction"
(up/down). My guess is that the direction transistor is blown on the
driver board.