Unexplained printout sheet from Samsung Printer

DStovall

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Whenever I turn on my Samsung SCX-4826FN printer I get a printout sheet with a few lower case e's with an arrow next to them. It doesn't do this if the unit is not connected to the PC via USB cord. Samsung had no real suggestions. What could be causing this?

G

It may be attempting to print out a test sheet -- some printers do this by default every time you start them. If the printer has a setup LCD, I'd check the Menus for a relevant option to turn that off. If not you may have to hope that it's available as a software option.

Alternatively, ensure that you have the right printer driver installed -- printers of the same brand will often work with the driver for another model in the range but there may be some small difference which it detects.

DStovall

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
It may be attempting to print out a test sheet -- some printers do this by default every time you start them. If the printer has a setup LCD, I'd check the Menus for a relevant option to turn that off. If not you may have to hope that it's available as a software option.

Alternatively, ensure that you have the right printer driver installed -- printers of the same brand will often work with the driver for another model in the range but there may be some small difference which it detects.

>> Thanks for the feedback. As directed in the setup instructions, I installed the printer using the installation CD that came with the printer and figured the latest driver would on it. I will, however, do as you suggest and recheck that it is not setup to automatically print a test sheet and also see if a newer driver exists.

DStovall

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
The issue with this printer has not been resolved. I was advised to go to the CNET site that has a dedicated team for Samsung products. They too are baffled by the problem. I tried the fixes they suggested but nothing works. FYI, I installed the printer on another computer and the problem went away. When I removed and reinstalled the printer on the original PC, the problem reappeared. Obviously the PC is the culprit but no one has been able to tell me what is causing it!! I'm still open to any new ideas to try. Thanks for all the help so far.

DStovall

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Well, the mouse and keyboard are USB but there aren't any other USB devices connected. I did, however, plug the printer into another USB port but had the same result. I've changed the USB cord twice to be sure I didn't have a faulty connection. The computer isn't usually connected to the Internet - it is used primarily to write music using FINALE and the printer was purchased because it has the ability to print on both sides of the paper. Plus, it doesn't use up all those ink cartridges the old inkjet printer did. Thanks . . .

G

If you can borrow a friend's laser printer I would hook that up to the problem computer just to confirm things.

Then update the motherboard BIOS -- download from computer or motherboard maker's site.

And maybe reinstall the USB drivers with latest version (these are usually multifunction drivers for hard drive controller and USB).