Any laptops have cd buners in them?

Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
cd drives in lap tops read only drives?

If the answer is no... that you can NOT get a cd burner in a
laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
easily and burn them THAT way?

Thanks in advaNCE.
32 answers Last reply
More about laptops buners them

    cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs

    me6@privacy.net wrote:
    > Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market
    for
    > one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if
    one
    > can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all
    the
    > cd drives in lap tops read only drives?

    >cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs

    OK

    Are the built in cd burners "robust" and reliable? Just as reliable
    as internal cd burners in a desktop?

    Also...can one be had in say a $1000 notebook such as one from Dell?
    can you get a cd burner in a laptop in THAT price range..... $1000?

    If yes....any specific Dell recommendations?? Model numbers?

    Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW in
    it.

    www.dell.com

    <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs
    >
    > OK
    >
    > Are the built in cd burners "robust" and reliable? Just as reliable
    > as internal cd burners in a desktop?
    >
    > Also...can one be had in say a $1000 notebook such as one from Dell?
    > can you get a cd burner in a laptop in THAT price range..... $1000?
    >
    > If yes....any specific Dell recommendations?? Model numbers?

    >Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW in
    >it.
    >
    >www.dell.com

    OK....checked that out. definite possibility

    However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
    diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?

    And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
    in some respect?

    I prefer the 600m

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    > Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
    > one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
    > can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
    > cd drives in lap tops read only drives?

    Probably not so for Dells, definitely not so for ThinkPads. I have an
    R40 bought 10/03 which came with a DVD-ROM/CD burner combo drive.

    >I prefer the 600m

    OK... but can you explain to me why? What qualities you like abt it?

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    > Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
    > one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
    > can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
    > cd drives in lap tops read only drives?
    >
    > If the answer is no... that you can NOT get a cd burner in a
    > laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
    > easily and burn them THAT way?
    >
    > Thanks in advaNCE.
    Yes, you can get cd-rw, dvd, and even dvd-rw's are starting to make it into
    laptops. My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
    desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade laptops
    easily.

    >My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
    >desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade laptops
    >easily.

    OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop

    Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
    it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?

    They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
    replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more efficient
    CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.

    Neither one is upgradeable video-wise, so if future upgrades are a must, buy
    something else. The 1150 uses integrated Intel graphics and is not
    upgradeable; the 600m uses a better ATI video chipset, but is likewise not
    upgradeable.

    <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW
    in
    > >it.
    > >
    > >www.dell.com
    >
    > OK....checked that out. definite possibility
    >
    > However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
    > diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?
    >
    > And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
    > in some respect?

    >They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
    >replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more efficient
    >CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.

    OK

    But couldn't the 600m be used as a desktop replacement also?

    Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
    most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
    reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
    >>desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade
    >>laptops easily.
    >
    > OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop
    >
    > Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
    > it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
    yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife has
    her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's in
    the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
    of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
    and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only thing
    you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1 for
    older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to slow
    down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x and
    some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I bought
    recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
    cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
    plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.

    Where did you find the case for $20?

    Tom

    www.hoct.com

    > Tom
    > "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

    >> > OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop
    >> >
    >> > Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
    >> > it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
    >> yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife
    >> has her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's
    >> in
    >> the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
    >> of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
    >> and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only
    >> thing you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1
    >> for older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to
    >> slow down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x
    >> and some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I
    >> bought
    >> recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
    >> cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case
    >> and plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.

    >Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
    >most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
    >reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.

    OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
    laptops... is that possible?

    Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
    them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

    If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
    TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?

    > I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
    >cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
    >plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.

    Good idea!

    I will do that.... get an external case for my current Plextor cd
    burner. I will have to remove it from my Dell 4100 case tho. But
    then I could move it from PC to PC or laptop.

    Dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in them
    now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

    If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
    TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?

    1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the 600m
    or an Inspiron 1150?

    2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have came
    with PowerDVD.

    3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if the
    laptop has a TV Out connector

    If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to get a
    laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one for
    less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks

    > >Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative
    > >most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's
    no
    > >reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.
    >
    > OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
    > laptops... is that possible?
    >
    > Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
    > them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?
    >
    > If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
    > TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?

    >1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the 600m
    >or an Inspiron 1150?

    No..... no Dell stores here. But I am two hrs north of st louis so
    maybe there is one there? Don't know anyone who has a 600m as well.

    >2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have came
    >with PowerDVD.

    Good!

    >3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if the
    >laptop has a TV Out connector

    Do most of the Dell laptops have this?

    >If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to get a
    >laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one for
    >less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks

    No.... watching DVD movies is not the main reason Im asking abt
    laptops... but I am curious justif/how you can watch DVD movies on one

    Ive never owned a laptop so know little abt them.

    1. that is one problem that any PC Brand that you order, it is sight unseen
    so you don't know if you like the feel of the laptop or not until you
    actually get it unless you know someone who has the one you want or there is
    a Dell store nearby

    2, 3. I don't have a laptop so I can't tell you if it has one or not.

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
    >>most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
    >>reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.
    >
    > OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
    > laptops... is that possible?

    Someone on here posted that they had a Dell store in their hometown so maybe
    they are trying out that idea

    > Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
    > them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

    Yes

    > If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
    > TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?

    Yes, some come with tv out.

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >> I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
    >>cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
    >>plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.
    >
    > Good idea!
    >
    > I will do that.... get an external case for my current Plextor cd
    > burner. I will have to remove it from my Dell 4100 case tho. But
    > then I could move it from PC to PC or laptop.
    This works pretty well. My last three systems since 98 have been laptops,
    and my wife's last three have as well. I used the same 4x cd burner on all
    of them up until this year when it died. It was an external HP and the
    case was just off enough to not be able to fit a normal drive so I bought
    the case and stuck a drive in it. I have an USB inkjet printer and scanner
    that we can share between both. I've also taken the external usb drive to
    other peoples houses and backed up their stuff to cd for them.
    Here is my setup http://www.ninefamily.com/images/im001883.jpg (its a big
    pic dial up people)

    >This works pretty well. My last three systems since 98 have been laptops,
    >and my wife's last three have as well.

    Cool!

    Do you guys basically have ONLY laptops in your house...and no
    desktops any more?

    I mean....do you use laptops AS desktops?

    I really don't NEED a laptop myself....dont travel, etc...... but Im
    thinking on getting a laptop as my next PC and using it as a desktop
    in my home just cause its smaller.... less cable...etc.

    Good idea or not?

    me6@privacy.net wrote:
    > Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
    > one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
    > can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
    > cd drives in lap tops read only drives?
    >
    > If the answer is no... that you can NOT get a cd burner in a
    > laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
    > easily and burn them THAT way?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Ok so I've read the entire thread and I thought I just post all my comments

    1) As stated laptops have had burners for quite a while now. I have three
    currently, a 4150 and 1100 both with burners, and an 600m with a DVD only.
    They work just as good as the ones in my PCs.

    My 4150 has swappable optical drives and I have a separate DVD-ROM and CDRW
    ROM. And yes I can watch DVDs on the laptop.
    My 1100 has a single DVD-CDRW ROM. This eliminates the need to swap drives.

    2) 600m vs. 1150. (the 1150 is like my 1100). Personally I like the 600m
    Much better. It's much lighter, it has the swappable media bay, like my
    4150, it has a standard Parallel and Serial port, along with USB. The 1150
    ONLY comes with USB. The 1150 has a 15" option for the LCD where the 600m
    only has a 14.1" screen. Frankly, the extra size is not that big of a deal
    to me. The 1150 is HEAVY. Too heavy for me to carry around all the time.
    My 4150 is lighter and the 600m is certainly lighter. The 1150 does not
    have a miniPCI slot (nice for wireless nics) where the 600m does, and
    because it's a Centrino system it comes with wireless. The 1150 uses a
    Celeron or Pentium 4 where the 600m uses the Pentium M(obile) processor.
    the M processor is suppose to be more power efficient and perform as well as
    the other chips even though it's rated at a slower MHz. My 600m is a 1.4m,
    the 1100 is a Celeron 2.0 and the 600 out performs the 1100.

    You can get more detail on the 600m at
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_600m?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd#tabtop
    You can get more detail on the 1150 at
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_1150?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    3) If you plan to be mobile with this laptop the idea of an external burner
    is silly and unnecessary. IMO I'd just order the laptop with the drive
    functionality that you need and be done with it.

    4) Both will make a decent desktop replacement, but I think the 600m is more
    suited for this especially if you have older peripherals like a printer that
    requires a parallel port. The 600m has a docking port for the available
    docking system The 11xx does not.

    5) Make sure you price the systems carefully. Also look at the 5150 for
    comparison. The 5150 and 1150 use the same case but the 5150 has more
    options. Anyway, I'm certain you'll be able to price the 1150 for less then
    the 600m but be aware of what comes with both. the 600m may have more for
    the dollar.

    --

    Rob
    Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

    >3) If you plan to be mobile with this laptop the idea of an external burner
    >is silly and unnecessary. IMO I'd just order the laptop with the drive
    >functionality that you need and be done with it.

    OK Robert.... good info! Thanks!

    Sounds to me like Id want the 600m.... as there may be a day I
    actually do NEED a laptop.... rather than just having one as a desktop
    replacemnet....and the smaller size of the 600m would be needed in
    that case.

    As far as the cd burner.... could I get the 600m without a cd burner
    as you suggest and then use an external burner if I so wished?

    If yes.... would you only get the 600m with a hard drive and no
    optical drives at all..... or just no cd burner but still an optical
    cd reader, dvd reader, etc? Is that what you mean?
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    me6@privacy.net wrote:
    >> 3) If you plan to be mobile with this laptop the idea of an external
    >> burner is silly and unnecessary. IMO I'd just order the laptop with
    >> the drive functionality that you need and be done with it.
    >
    > OK Robert.... good info! Thanks!
    >
    > Sounds to me like Id want the 600m.... as there may be a day I
    > actually do NEED a laptop.... rather than just having one as a desktop
    > replacemnet....and the smaller size of the 600m would be needed in
    > that case.
    >
    > As far as the cd burner.... could I get the 600m without a cd burner
    > as you suggest and then use an external burner if I so wished?
    >
    > If yes.... would you only get the 600m with a hard drive and no
    > optical drives at all..... or just no cd burner but still an optical
    > cd reader, dvd reader, etc? Is that what you mean?

    I would get either a CDRW or DVD CDRW combo. I would never (and I don't
    think you can) not get a CD/DVD drive and frankly I'm still struggling with
    this external CD idea. There's no need.

    --

    Rob
    Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
    A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    >I would get either a CDRW or DVD CDRW combo. I would never (and I don't
    >think you can) not get a CD/DVD drive and frankly I'm still struggling with
    >this external CD idea. There's no need.

    Oh....I think I misunderstood you in previous post then

    I thought you were implying to buy only a 600m with a hard drive ONLY

    But now after re-reading your other post you are saying to buy the
    600m and go ahead and get a "burner" In the dang thing.

    Sorry..... now Im picking up what you are putting down. lol
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>This works pretty well. My last three systems since 98 have been laptops,
    >>and my wife's last three have as well.
    >
    > Cool!
    >
    > Do you guys basically have ONLY laptops in your house...and no
    > desktops any more?
    >
    > I mean....do you use laptops AS desktops?
    >
    > I really don't NEED a laptop myself....dont travel, etc...... but Im
    > thinking on getting a laptop as my next PC and using it as a desktop
    > in my home just cause its smaller.... less cable...etc.
    >
    > Good idea or not?
    Pretty much. We both sit on the couch and do whatever we need. I work in
    IT so I might be on the VPN upgrading the service pack on a server or
    something like that, she is a part time college student so she does her
    work on the other end of the couch. We went from a little hp340 portable
    printer between us to a photosmart 1218 off a network drop in the tv stand.

    If your only going to use a laptop on a desk then the extra price of a
    laptop won't be worth it, but when you get wireless and a decent not too
    heavy laptop you can sit anywhere in the house or outside (My higher end
    Cisco wireless can cover the whole yard and a long way into the field next
    to us without even dropping the speed down).
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>I would get either a CDRW or DVD CDRW combo. I would never (and I don't
    >>think you can) not get a CD/DVD drive and frankly I'm still struggling
    >>with
    >>this external CD idea. There's no need.
    >
    > Oh....I think I misunderstood you in previous post then
    >
    > I thought you were implying to buy only a 600m with a hard drive ONLY
    >
    > But now after re-reading your other post you are saying to buy the
    > 600m and go ahead and get a "burner" In the dang thing.
    >
    > Sorry..... now Im picking up what you are putting down. lol
    I should clarify that going external isn't for everyone. It isn't as handy
    sometimes but if you have more than one system in the house or a laptop
    like my C400 where any drive is external its a good compromise.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Eugene wrote:
    > me6@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >>> I would get either a CDRW or DVD CDRW combo. I would never (and I
    >>> don't think you can) not get a CD/DVD drive and frankly I'm still
    >>> struggling with
    >>> this external CD idea. There's no need.
    >>
    >> Oh....I think I misunderstood you in previous post then
    >>
    >> I thought you were implying to buy only a 600m with a hard drive ONLY
    >>
    >> But now after re-reading your other post you are saying to buy the
    >> 600m and go ahead and get a "burner" In the dang thing.
    >>
    >> Sorry..... now Im picking up what you are putting down. lol
    > I should clarify that going external isn't for everyone. It isn't as
    > handy sometimes but if you have more than one system in the house

    Networks!!!

    --

    Rob
    Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
    A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

    > Eugene wrote:

    >>> Oh....I think I misunderstood you in previous post then
    >>>
    >>> I thought you were implying to buy only a 600m with a hard drive ONLY
    >>>
    >>> But now after re-reading your other post you are saying to buy the
    >>> 600m and go ahead and get a "burner" In the dang thing.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry..... now Im picking up what you are putting down. lol
    >> I should clarify that going external isn't for everyone. It isn't as
    >> handy sometimes but if you have more than one system in the house
    >
    > Networks!!!

    That works too. takes an extra step but sometimes her XP box decided it just
    doesn't like USB drives so I have to copy it over the network anyway.

Dell Laptops Burner CD-Rom Computers