Any laptops have cd buners in them?

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 12:24:07 AM

Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
cd drives in lap tops read only drives?

If the answer is no... that you can NOT get a cd burner in a
laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
easily and burn them THAT way?

Thanks in advaNCE.

More about : laptops buners

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 12:36:59 AM

cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs

me6@privacy.net wrote:
> Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market
for
> one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if
one
> can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all
the
> cd drives in lap tops read only drives?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 12:42:59 AM

>cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs

OK

Are the built in cd burners "robust" and reliable? Just as reliable
as internal cd burners in a desktop?

Also...can one be had in say a $1000 notebook such as one from Dell?
can you get a cd burner in a laptop in THAT price range..... $1000?

If yes....any specific Dell recommendations?? Model numbers?
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 1:57:47 AM

Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW in
it.

www.dell.com

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs
>
> OK
>
> Are the built in cd burners "robust" and reliable? Just as reliable
> as internal cd burners in a desktop?
>
> Also...can one be had in say a $1000 notebook such as one from Dell?
> can you get a cd burner in a laptop in THAT price range..... $1000?
>
> If yes....any specific Dell recommendations?? Model numbers?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 1:57:48 AM

>Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW in
>it.
>
>www.dell.com

OK....checked that out. definite possibility

However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?

And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
in some respect?
April 11, 2004 9:25:35 AM

I prefer the 600m

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:D eah70lnaq417p6etnenk5u9ulhm9ca02h@4ax.com...
> >Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW
in
> >it.
> >
> >www.dell.com
>
> OK....checked that out. definite possibility
>
> However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
> diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?
>
> And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
> in some respect?
April 11, 2004 10:21:16 AM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
> one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
> can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
> cd drives in lap tops read only drives?

Probably not so for Dells, definitely not so for ThinkPads. I have an
R40 bought 10/03 which came with a DVD-ROM/CD burner combo drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 1:21:29 PM

>I prefer the 600m

OK... but can you explain to me why? What qualities you like abt it?
April 11, 2004 5:58:57 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
> one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
> can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
> cd drives in lap tops read only drives?
>
> If the answer is no... that you can NOT get a cd burner in a
> laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
> easily and burn them THAT way?
>
> Thanks in advaNCE.
Yes, you can get cd-rw, dvd, and even dvd-rw's are starting to make it into
laptops. My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade laptops
easily.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 5:58:58 PM

>My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
>desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade laptops
>easily.

OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop

Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 6:36:13 PM

They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more efficient
CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.

Neither one is upgradeable video-wise, so if future upgrades are a must, buy
something else. The 1150 uses integrated Intel graphics and is not
upgradeable; the 600m uses a better ATI video chipset, but is likewise not
upgradeable.

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:D eah70lnaq417p6etnenk5u9ulhm9ca02h@4ax.com...
> >Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW
in
> >it.
> >
> >www.dell.com
>
> OK....checked that out. definite possibility
>
> However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
> diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?
>
> And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
> in some respect?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 6:36:14 PM

>They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
>replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more efficient
>CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.

OK

But couldn't the 600m be used as a desktop replacement also?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 7:13:42 PM

Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:p u3j70pr51gcb4cclo36gv8udaid535o47@4ax.com...
> >They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
> >replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more
efficient
> >CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.
>
> OK
>
> But couldn't the 600m be used as a desktop replacement also?
April 11, 2004 11:49:20 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
>>desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade
>>laptops easily.
>
> OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop
>
> Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
> it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife has
her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's in
the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only thing
you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1 for
older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to slow
down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x and
some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I bought
recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2004 11:49:21 PM

Where did you find the case for $20?

Tom
"Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> me6@privacy.net wrote:
>
> >>My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
> >>desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade
> >>laptops easily.
> >
> > OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop
> >
> > Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
> > it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
> yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife has
> her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's in
> the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
> of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
> and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only thing
> you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1 for
> older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to slow
> down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x and
> some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I bought
> recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
> cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
> plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.

April 12, 2004 1:38:42 AM

www.hoct.com

> Tom
> "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

>> > OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop
>> >
>> > Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
>> > it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
>> yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife
>> has her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's
>> in
>> the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
>> of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
>> and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only
>> thing you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1
>> for older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to
>> slow down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x
>> and some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I
>> bought
>> recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
>> cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case
>> and plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2004 11:51:44 AM

>Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
>most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
>reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.

OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
laptops... is that possible?

Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2004 11:54:25 AM

> I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
>cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
>plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.

Good idea!

I will do that.... get an external case for my current Plextor cd
burner. I will have to remove it from my Dell 4100 case tho. But
then I could move it from PC to PC or laptop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2004 2:52:57 PM

Dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in them
now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2004 10:23:38 PM

1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the 600m
or an Inspiron 1150?

2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have came
with PowerDVD.

3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if the
laptop has a TV Out connector

If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to get a
laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one for
less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:p 54l701a76m7mt1imgkk66k41898ptbds9@4ax.com...
> >Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative
> >most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's
no
> >reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.
>
> OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
> laptops... is that possible?
>
> Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
> them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?
>
> If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
> TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2004 10:23:39 PM

>1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the 600m
>or an Inspiron 1150?

No..... no Dell stores here. But I am two hrs north of st louis so
maybe there is one there? Don't know anyone who has a 600m as well.

>2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have came
>with PowerDVD.

Good!

>3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if the
>laptop has a TV Out connector

Do most of the Dell laptops have this?

>If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to get a
>laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one for
>less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks

No.... watching DVD movies is not the main reason Im asking abt
laptops... but I am curious justif/how you can watch DVD movies on one

Ive never owned a laptop so know little abt them.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 12:00:43 AM

1. that is one problem that any PC Brand that you order, it is sight unseen
so you don't know if you like the feel of the laptop or not until you
actually get it unless you know someone who has the one you want or there is
a Dell store nearby

2, 3. I don't have a laptop so I can't tell you if it has one or not.

> >1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the
600m
> >or an Inspiron 1150?
>
> No..... no Dell stores here. But I am two hrs north of st louis so
> maybe there is one there? Don't know anyone who has a 600m as well.
>
> >2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have
came
> >with PowerDVD.
>
> Good!
>
> >3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if
the
> >laptop has a TV Out connector
>
> Do most of the Dell laptops have this?
>
> >If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to
get a
> >laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one
for
> >less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks
>
> No.... watching DVD movies is not the main reason Im asking abt
> laptops... but I am curious justif/how you can watch DVD movies on one
>
> Ive never owned a laptop so know little abt them.
April 13, 2004 1:03:25 AM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
>>most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
>>reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.
>
> OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
> laptops... is that possible?

Someone on here posted that they had a Dell store in their hometown so maybe
they are trying out that idea

> Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
> them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

Yes

> If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
> TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?

Yes, some come with tv out.
April 13, 2004 1:18:34 AM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>> I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
>>cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
>>plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.
>
> Good idea!
>
> I will do that.... get an external case for my current Plextor cd
> burner. I will have to remove it from my Dell 4100 case tho. But
> then I could move it from PC to PC or laptop.
This works pretty well. My last three systems since 98 have been laptops,
and my wife's last three have as well. I used the same 4x cd burner on all
of them up until this year when it died. It was an external HP and the
case was just off enough to not be able to fit a normal drive so I bought
the case and stuck a drive in it. I have an USB inkjet printer and scanner
that we can share between both. I've also taken the external usb drive to
other peoples houses and backed up their stuff to cd for them.
Here is my setup http://www.ninefamily.com/images/im001883.jpg (its a big
pic dial up people)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 11:59:06 AM

>This works pretty well. My last three systems since 98 have been laptops,
>and my wife's last three have as well.

Cool!

Do you guys basically have ONLY laptops in your house...and no
desktops any more?

I mean....do you use laptops AS desktops?

I really don't NEED a laptop myself....dont travel, etc...... but Im
thinking on getting a laptop as my next PC and using it as a desktop
in my home just cause its smaller.... less cable...etc.

Good idea or not?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 1:43:27 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:
> Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
> one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
> can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
> cd drives in lap tops read only drives?
>
> If the answer is no... that you can NOT get a cd burner in a
> laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
> easily and burn them THAT way?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Ok so I've read the entire thread and I thought I just post all my comments

1) As stated laptops have had burners for quite a while now. I have three
currently, a 4150 and 1100 both with burners, and an 600m with a DVD only.
They work just as good as the ones in my PCs.

My 4150 has swappable optical drives and I have a separate DVD-ROM and CDRW
ROM. And yes I can watch DVDs on the laptop.
My 1100 has a single DVD-CDRW ROM. This eliminates the need to swap drives.

2) 600m vs. 1150. (the 1150 is like my 1100). Personally I like the 600m
Much better. It's much lighter, it has the swappable media bay, like my
4150, it has a standard Parallel and Serial port, along with USB. The 1150
ONLY comes with USB. The 1150 has a 15" option for the LCD where the 600m
only has a 14.1" screen. Frankly, the extra size is not that big of a deal
to me. The 1150 is HEAVY. Too heavy for me to carry around all the time.
My 4150 is lighter and the 600m is certainly lighter. The 1150 does not
have a miniPCI slot (nice for wireless nics) where the 600m does, and
because it's a Centrino system it comes with wireless. The 1150 uses a
Celeron or Pentium 4 where the 600m uses the Pentium M(obile) processor.
the M processor is suppose to be more power efficient and perform as well as
the other chips even though it's rated at a slower MHz. My 600m is a 1.4m,
the 1100 is a Celeron 2.0 and the 600 out performs the 1100.

You can get more detail on the 600m at
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
You can get more detail on the 1150 at
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...

3) If you plan to be mobile with this laptop the idea of an external burner
is silly and unnecessary. IMO I'd just order the laptop with the drive
functionality that you need and be done with it.

4) Both will make a decent desktop replacement, but I think the 600m is more
suited for this especially if you have older peripherals like a printer that
requires a parallel port. The 600m has a docking port for the available
docking system The 11xx does not.

5) Make sure you price the systems carefully. Also look at the 5150 for
comparison. The 5150 and 1150 use the same case but the 5150 has more
options. Anyway, I'm certain you'll be able to price the 1150 for less then
the 600m but be aware of what comes with both. the 600m may have more for
the dollar.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

>3) If you plan to be mobile with this laptop the idea of an external burner
>is silly and unnecessary. IMO I'd just order the laptop with the drive
>functionality that you need and be done with it.

OK Robert.... good info! Thanks!

Sounds to me like Id want the 600m.... as there may be a day I
actually do NEED a laptop.... rather than just having one as a desktop
replacemnet....and the smaller size of the 600m would be needed in
that case.

As far as the cd burner.... could I get the 600m without a cd burner
as you suggest and then use an external burner if I so wished?

If yes.... would you only get the 600m with a hard drive and no
optical drives at all..... or just no cd burner but still an optical
cd reader, dvd reader, etc? Is that what you mean?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 5:12:13 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:
>> 3) If you plan to be mobile with this laptop the idea of an external
>> burner is silly and unnecessary. IMO I'd just order the laptop with
>> the drive functionality that you need and be done with it.
>
> OK Robert.... good info! Thanks!
>
> Sounds to me like Id want the 600m.... as there may be a day I
> actually do NEED a laptop.... rather than just having one as a desktop
> replacemnet....and the smaller size of the 600m would be needed in
> that case.
>
> As far as the cd burner.... could I get the 600m without a cd burner
> as you suggest and then use an external burner if I so wished?
>
> If yes.... would you only get the 600m with a hard drive and no
> optical drives at all..... or just no cd burner but still an optical
> cd reader, dvd reader, etc? Is that what you mean?

I would get either a CDRW or DVD CDRW combo. I would never (and I don't
think you can) not get a CD/DVD drive and frankly I'm still struggling with
this external CD idea. There's no need.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 5:30:34 PM

>I would get either a CDRW or DVD CDRW combo. I would never (and I don't
>think you can) not get a CD/DVD drive and frankly I'm still struggling with
>this external CD idea. There's no need.

Oh....I think I misunderstood you in previous post then

I thought you were implying to buy only a 600m with a hard drive ONLY

But now after re-reading your other post you are saying to buy the
600m and go ahead and get a "burner" In the dang thing.

Sorry..... now Im picking up what you are putting down. lol
April 14, 2004 1:28:26 AM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>This works pretty well. My last three systems since 98 have been laptops,
>>and my wife's last three have as well.
>
> Cool!
>
> Do you guys basically have ONLY laptops in your house...and no
> desktops any more?
>
> I mean....do you use laptops AS desktops?
>
> I really don't NEED a laptop myself....dont travel, etc...... but Im
> thinking on getting a laptop as my next PC and using it as a desktop
> in my home just cause its smaller.... less cable...etc.
>
> Good idea or not?
Pretty much. We both sit on the couch and do whatever we need. I work in
IT so I might be on the VPN upgrading the service pack on a server or
something like that, she is a part time college student so she does her
work on the other end of the couch. We went from a little hp340 portable
printer between us to a photosmart 1218 off a network drop in the tv stand.

If your only going to use a laptop on a desk then the extra price of a
laptop won't be worth it, but when you get wireless and a decent not too
heavy laptop you can sit anywhere in the house or outside (My higher end
Cisco wireless can cover the whole yard and a long way into the field next
to us without even dropping the speed down).
April 14, 2004 1:30:57 AM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>I would get either a CDRW or DVD CDRW combo. I would never (and I don't
>>think you can) not get a CD/DVD drive and frankly I'm still struggling
>>with
>>this external CD idea. There's no need.
>
> Oh....I think I misunderstood you in previous post then
>
> I thought you were implying to buy only a 600m with a hard drive ONLY
>
> But now after re-reading your other post you are saying to buy the
> 600m and go ahead and get a "burner" In the dang thing.
>
> Sorry..... now Im picking up what you are putting down. lol
I should clarify that going external isn't for everyone. It isn't as handy
sometimes but if you have more than one system in the house or a laptop
like my C400 where any drive is external its a good compromise.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 1:30:58 AM

Eugene wrote:
> me6@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>> I would get either a CDRW or DVD CDRW combo. I would never (and I
>>> don't think you can) not get a CD/DVD drive and frankly I'm still
>>> struggling with
>>> this external CD idea. There's no need.
>>
>> Oh....I think I misunderstood you in previous post then
>>
>> I thought you were implying to buy only a 600m with a hard drive ONLY
>>
>> But now after re-reading your other post you are saying to buy the
>> 600m and go ahead and get a "burner" In the dang thing.
>>
>> Sorry..... now Im picking up what you are putting down. lol
> I should clarify that going external isn't for everyone. It isn't as
> handy sometimes but if you have more than one system in the house

Networks!!!

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"
April 14, 2004 4:55:53 AM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Eugene wrote:

>>> Oh....I think I misunderstood you in previous post then
>>>
>>> I thought you were implying to buy only a 600m with a hard drive ONLY
>>>
>>> But now after re-reading your other post you are saying to buy the
>>> 600m and go ahead and get a "burner" In the dang thing.
>>>
>>> Sorry..... now Im picking up what you are putting down. lol
>> I should clarify that going external isn't for everyone. It isn't as
>> handy sometimes but if you have more than one system in the house
>
> Networks!!!

That works too. takes an extra step but sometimes her XP box decided it just
doesn't like USB drives so I have to copy it over the network anyway.
!