No network access over MN500 as access point

I have a Sweex router that shares internet with two wired
computers in a network. I have attached the MN500 as
access point to it (connected one LAN port of the Sweex
to the 'to modem' port of the MN500 with the blue
Ethernetcable that came with the MN500).
I connect with my IBM T40 notebook with built in
Wireless. Internet works fine but network does not work.
When I connect the same notebook with a Ethernet cable to
the Sweex router than it works perfectly. What am I doing
wrong?
9 answers Last reply
More about network access mn500 access point

    ok when u r getting internet through access point that
    means everything seems to be fine .
    Check for firewall if u have any firewall software
    uninstall it

    The 500 is in router mode with the firewall enabled.
    NetBIOS cannot get through NAT and the firewall.

    The best way out is to put the 2 computers behind the 500.

    The alternative is to disable the firewall and set the
    router to bridge mode, but once you do this you can only
    get out of it using a hard reset of the router (and lose al
    settings) -- unless you access it through the modem port by IP

    I did set the router to the bridge mode but it still does
    not work.

    I use a small script that I got from a friend that works
    fine when connecting with an ethernet cable to the Sweex
    router:
    netuse \\<other PC name where I try to connect to>\ipc$
    <password for the laptop username that is also user on
    the other PC> /user:<pc name where I try to connect
    to>\<username of laptop>

    I then get systemerror 53, cannot find network path.

    If I try to connect to the PC from the explorer window, I
    get a message that the workgroup is not accessible and
    that I might miss access rights and have to connect to my
    network administrator.

    I have configured the MN500 to be 192.168.2.2 and can
    access it´s setup through the computers that are wired to
    the sweex. It shows that the MN is bridged and DCHP is
    disabled.

    You are either being blocked by NAT or the router firewall.

    Are you using the 192.168.2.x subnet on the sweex router? I
    thought only MS hardware used that -- if that's not the
    case... change the subnet for the static IP in the 500, and
    also on the LAN screen of the 500.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Yes I´m using 192.168.2.1 for the Sweex and 192.168.2.2
    for the MN500. The address for the Sweex is standard. Are
    you implying I should change the Sweex address? To what?
    By the way, thanks for your help, I feel lost in the dark
    and feel very grateful that you try to help me!

    Jos

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Why do you need the sweex? Since you have only two wired
    computers, the system would work fine with the MN500, and
    that would avoid having to make both routers work together.

    Otherwise, check if it works this way with both the sweex
    and MN500. On the LAN screen of the MN500, you have IP
    192.168.2.2. DHCP is disabled. On the WAN screen you are
    using Static with IP 192.168.2.2. Under security/firewall
    the firewall is disabled.

    Once you turn on your laptop, the DHCP server (gateway) and
    DNS for the laptop should be 192.168.2.1. You can check
    this by running ipconfig from a Command Prompt.

    The sweex is not handing over a 192.168.2.2 IP through DHCP
    (that would cause a conflict with the MN500) -- on the
    MN500 there is a setting to change the DHCP start range to
    avoid this, but I don't know how you set it on the sweex

    At this point the MN500 should act as a switch and you
    should be able to reach the computers. NetBIOS refreshes
    can take a while sometimes (up to 12mn on some systems).
    You may need to force a refresh using ipconfig /release and
    ipconfig /renew. If you run MBNU, it should do it and list
    all the computers, and you should be able to click on the
    computer icon to open its shares (probably you'll be
    prompted then for username/password)

Routers Network Access Networking