Sign in with
Your question

Asus Poor QA for LCD screens and stuck pixel policy atrocious

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 23, 2009 1:08:41 AM

I current purchased two new monitors, and BOTH of them are in my eyes, not functioning properly. Is it me, or is Asus quality deteriorating slowly? I've always been an Asus supporter, and my current system is 80% Asus parts, but I find their lack of QA for their LCD monitors to be despicable. Both of my monitors are VH202T, and they both have a bright stuck pixel on them. I wouldn't care so much if they weren't in the middle; I'd be upset, but not furious. They have a 0 pixel policy, but shouldn't they tell the consumer which products are supported, or if they have such little faith in their products, should they not pull the products off the shelves? I've bought lots of LCD monitors in the past for my company and also for personal use, and this is the first time that I've had a stuck pixel, let alone two from the same brand of monitor. Sorry guys, I just wanted to vent, give you guys warning, and see what experiences you may have had with Asus as well. Also, if you guys have any ideas on what I could do about my monitors, I'd love to hear them; I've already tried looking up stuck pixel programs and messaging, and both have failed.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 195 C Monitor
November 23, 2009 1:41:51 AM

Asus, like most companies, do not test each individual monitor for defective units. They take sample which represents a good statistical representation of all units coming off the production line. Each company has has their own "dead pixel" policy so if there are between 1 - 8 dead pixel per unit found during the sampling process that can be considered acceptable.

If you want a company to test each and every monitor that comes off of the production line, then you will need to deal with higher prices because that takes time, equipment, and man hours. NEC tests each and every one of their high end monitors. I purchased the 26" NEC LCD2690WUXi, despite the fact that it cost $1,200+ I simply love it. I wanted another 26" monitor for a dual monitor setup, but it was gonna be used part time only. I would have liked to purchase another NEC, but I decided to purchase the 26" Planar 2611w ($800). Planar used to have a "Zero Dead Pixel" policy stated clearly on their website, but that was back in 2002 when I bought my first Planar monitor. Based on customer reviews, they still have an unofficial "Zero Dead Pixel" policy.

Sidebar:
I bought an Acer VK246H last year as a supplemental monitor for my HTPC. Quite frankly, it is my first LCD monitor that I purchased less than $700. I suppose for the average user it is okay, but for me it's good enough to monitor processes for 0 - 4 hours a week. Due to the fact it uses a TN panel and it only cost me $240, I didn't get pissed off about the limitations of TN panel monitors and the small backlight bleeding issue.
m
l
November 23, 2009 11:58:45 AM

Hey Jaguarskx, thanks for the reply. Before I bought this Asus, I didn't even know about this "pixel policy" because I've never had any problems, and I've bought a lot for work and personal use. I've bought multiple LCD monitors from big box stores like best buy, and they allow you to return/exchange anything, no questions asked, but decided to get all my parts from the same computer store this time (bad idea). I might pay 30 dollars more at a big box store, but now I see that it's the quality of service that you are paying for. I wouldn't be so upset if it was after maybe a year, or even a few months, but right out of the box is really hard to believe, let alone two. I guess in my mind I wish they but a label "warning, may not work as expected." lol. But I guess I shouldn't be blasting Asus so hard because it's a combination of the reseller and Asus.

I do like the idea of NEC though. It's good to know that they test each one, which is excellent, and puts my mind at ease a little more. I'll probably end up trying to sell this monitors and going for something like NEC. I don't mind paying the price, but this is the only monitor that the reseller offered in 20 inch, the reviews were decent, and as said before, all my computers are Asus, so I trust their quality, although not their LCDs now.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 195 C Monitor
November 23, 2009 9:51:41 PM

I re-read my original post and I have to add a caveat.

Based on my research, I believe NEC individually tests (burn-in) each WUXi monitor. I have difficulties finding that article, however, it has been nearly 3 years since I've read it. NEC still has their fair share of defective units reaching the consumer market, but given the fact that the WUXi series is rather expensive, the do tend to work with people who did receive a defect unit.

Based on about 75 hours of research, I eventually decided to buy the NEC LCD2690WUXi. A big gamble considering the hefty price tag, but in the end I am completely satisfied with it. You should also seriously consider the Planar PX2611w as well though.

Planar has a reputation for selling quality products which stems from their industrial/medical side of their business. Customer service is second to none, at least with regards to their PX line. They no longer have an official "Zero Dead Pixel" policy, however based on customer reviews, Planar worked with individuals who had dead pixel issues. All I can say is that the closer those few dead pixels are to the center of the display to more likely they will ship you a replacement (could be a refurbished) at no cost to you. They ship you a replace via 2-Day Express, you use the same box to ship back the defect monitor. Let me stress, this only applies to the PX line of LCD monitors.

Both 26" NEC and Planar LCD monitors use the same H-IPS LCD panel. NEC adds a lot of electronics for color accuracy and uniformity which explains the difference in price.
m
l
November 25, 2009 12:13:37 PM

What really bothered me though was that no one makes this dead pixel policy more known to the typical consumer. That's really the main thing after I step back and look at my situation and both of my monitors with dead pixels.
m
l
!