Microsoft, please fix XP's firewire/USB handling

mb

I'm sick and tired of this.

I have 4-6 PC's running XP in a few locations, I do a lot of DV editing.
Since Windows 2000, the same problems exist. You'd figure Microsoft
would have fixed these issues by now, but even SP2 doesn't.

The main problems are:

- lack of hard drive recognition when used in conjunction with
firewire/USB enclosures (half the time drives aren't seen, you have to
turn them off and on or reboot finally they are recognized)

- "delay write error to firewire hard drive", I get this a lot. It's a
pain and the MS patch doesn't help any. A serious problem that I've seen
since Windows 2000.

- weird hiccups & problems here and there like when daisy chaining
drives or losing drive letters suddenly, once I lost all data on a
firewire drive -- all of it!!!

- can't safely unplug a drive, or takes far too long to unplug

Lots of people are using firewire/usb cases now. Mac's are great in this
regard, many Final Cut Pro workshops give you your own firewire drive
that you plug in/out as needed. I'd like to see the problems with that
using Windows.

I like XP in all other regards. It's great, but Microsoft has to review
their entire implementation of firewire when it comes to storage, in
particular in the up coming Vista. For multimedia applications, external
drives are a must, but XP is so glitchy I can't write directly to them
without crashing often -- so I only use them to copy to.

I've experienced this since Windows 2000 and through many drives, many
types of enclosures and on numerous PC's ranging from IBM to Dell to
Gateway running 2000, XP Pro and XP home. THE PROBLEMS ARE OBVIOUSLY
OPERATING SYSTEM BASED!!!! So, please MS, do all of us video
editors/multimedia authors/designers a big favor, fix this stuff, it's
been going on long enough and makes one want to seriously look at Mac
alternatives.

MB

"Mb" <nospam@rogers.com> wrote in message

> - "delay write error to firewire hard drive", I get this a lot. It's a
> pain and the MS patch doesn't help any. A serious problem that I've seen
> since Windows 2000.

I was once able to provoke/cure a Delayed Write Error on a USB drive just by
changing the share properties of a folder on the drive. It was quite
repeatable. That felt like a "system" problem rather than a hardware
specific problem.

Gordon

"Mb" <nospam@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I'm sick and tired of this.

Got an 80GB ext Firewire drive that I swap backwards and forwards between my
Laptop and desktop - never had any problems at all! (XP SP2......)