can XP Pro install in 4G CF???

August 8, 2005 3:16:54 PM

Hello all,

I ghost my XP Pro image into 4G CF to replace old HDD, but when XP boot ,
it just hang up at light blue screen(the screen before login screen),after I
press Ctrl+Alt+Del, I can go to OS, but when I check page file, is says
WindowsXP has problem make page file, no matter how I custom file and then
reboot XP, it still hang up at that screen and I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del
to go to OS . ONLY AFTER I SET NO PAGE FILE, XP Pro can boot smoothly.

My question is the XP Pro hang up cause by small CF space(4G is to small to
run XP?) or CF can't have page file at all, can anybody help me? Thanks a
lot!!!

More about : pro install

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 3:16:55 PM

Purchase a nice, modern, EIDE "internal" hard drive
and you won't have any problem installing or running Windows XP.

Compact flash cards are only meant for file storage, not running
an operating system.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"embedded" wrote:

| Hello all,
|
| I ghost my XP Pro image into 4G CF to replace old HDD, but when XP boot ,
| it just hang up at light blue screen(the screen before login screen),after I
| press Ctrl+Alt+Del, I can go to OS, but when I check page file, is says
| WindowsXP has problem make page file, no matter how I custom file and then
| reboot XP, it still hang up at that screen and I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del
| to go to OS . ONLY AFTER I SET NO PAGE FILE, XP Pro can boot smoothly.
|
| My question is the XP Pro hang up cause by small CF space(4G is to small to
| run XP?) or CF can't have page file at all, can anybody help me? Thanks a
| lot!!!
August 8, 2005 7:33:38 PM

Did you not catch this reply

"embedded" <lc@lc.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I ghost my XP Pro image into 4G CF to replace old HDD, but when XP boot
> ,
> it just hang up at light blue screen(the screen before login screen),after
> press Ctrl+Alt+Del, I can go to OS, but when I check page file, is says
> WindowsXP has problem make page file, no matter how I custom file and then
> reboot XP, it still hang up at that screen and I have to press
> Ctrl+Alt+Del
> to go to OS . ONLY AFTER I SET NO PAGE FILE, XP Pro can boot smoothly.
>
> My question is the XP Pro hang up cause by small CF space(4G is to small
> run XP?) or CF can't have page file at all, can anybody help me? Thanks a
> lot!!!

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:18:46 PM

I think it's an awesome idea. Boot from cf and boom, there's your
windows, applications, data, etc. It would make windows truely
portable. Unfortunately the wpa would get you and the lack of transfer
speed would age you...