Is my tv's 120hz real or simulated

I recently purchased a new westinghouse 40 inch led uw40t series im wondering how in can tell if it is actually 120hz or if its simulated i dont see an option anywhere to toggle between 120 or 60
4 answers Last reply
More about 120hz real simulated
  1. There is no 120-Hz TV signal transmission system. It is 60 Hz in NTSC broadcasting and 50 Hz in PAL broadcasting. There is also the Secam system in the similar frequency range. If you play a DVD disk through your TV set, it is the same: 60 Hz for NTSC encoded DVDs and 50 Hz for PAL encoded DVDs. Therefore, your TV should be doubling the transmission frequency ( 50 Hz or 60 Hz to 120 Hz ) to reduce flicker and motion blur on the TV screen. This is done through the internal circuitry of your TV set, which you may call simulated. I am afraid you may not have the option to toggle between 60 Hz and 120 Hz.
  2. Thanks, Good to know. One more Question, is it better to have a tv with the option to toggle between 60 and 120hz as far as picture quality goes?
  3. Depends. For fast-moving objects, such as football matches, 120-Hz should be preferable. For normal TV viewing or playing DVD movies, I personally prefer the other, the natural frequency of the event, either 60 Hz or 50 Hz.

Anyway, you have to see it with your own eyes and decide. Personal preferences play an important role in such matters.
  4. Hey just saw your response thanks. My three year old just put scratches into my led screen with a knife ahhh...Glad he's ok but the tv is not, do you think the manufacturers warranty will cover it, if not how much do you think it will cost to get it fixed or replaced. I've read that it could be as much as the tv cost. My 40 inch led westinghouse was 399.99.
Ask a new question

Read More

TV Westinghouse LED Monitor