McAfee Manual Updating

vinCe

Trial version of McAfee Antivirus/Security Center bundled on my XPS
Gen 4 has expired. Is there any way for me to freely download
anti-virus signature updates manually, w/o an annual subscription ?

Clearly not legally. Could you get them of a warez site? Possibly, but does
it seem very bright to steal something that could be a virus itself?

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:24:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Clearly not legally. Could you get them of a warez site? Possibly, but does
>it seem very bright to steal something that could be a virus itself?
>

>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Trial version of McAfee Antivirus/Security Center bundled on my XPS
>> Gen 4 has expired. Is there any way for me to freely download
>> anti-virus signature updates manually, w/o an annual subscription ?

On my previous computer I ran Norton Systems. There was easy manual
downloading from the Symantec website of the virus signature updates.

I am wondering if McAfee offers the same opportunity.

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:24:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Clearly not legally. Could you get them of a warez site? Possibly, but
>>does
>>it seem very bright to steal something that could be a virus itself?
>>

>>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Trial version of McAfee Antivirus/Security Center bundled on my XPS
>>> Gen 4 has expired. Is there any way for me to freely download
>>> anti-virus signature updates manually, w/o an annual subscription ?
>>>

> On my previous computer I ran Norton Systems. There was easy manual
> downloading from the Symantec website of the virus signature updates.
>
> I am wondering if McAfee offers the same opportunity.

Vince,

You can download the SuperDat file from the link Kenneth provides. I can't
assure you that it will install and update a retail trial version but you
can try. However, as Tom points out this could be considered steeling or
using the software outside it's license agreement. Remember that AV
companies and the like do all us users a service by providing security
software. This software isn't developed for free and comparatively AV
software is CHEAP. Support the AV provider by going out and buying a legal
copy of the software.

HTH
Rob

Vince wrote:
> Trial version of McAfee Antivirus/Security Center bundled on my XPS
> Gen 4 has expired. Is there any way for me to freely download
> anti-virus signature updates manually, w/o an annual subscription ?

There are several good anti-virus applications that are free,
such as Grisoft's AVG at http://www.grisoft.com/. Remove McAfee
and as many of its vestiges as possible. Download AVG and install.
As for other security features, a free, basic firewall is ZoneAlarm,
from http://www.zonealarm.com/. And for anti-adware, there is also
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. But the standard caveat remains: For anything
beyond basic protection or services, expect to pay for them.

Verizon wrote:
> There was an old trick everyone use with Norton's Anti Virus that was to
> uninstall and reinstall it just before the subscription was up.
> That reset the one year subscription basis for one more year (and it was
> legal as well - I always reinstalled Win 98/ME/2000 machines at least
> once a year no matter what). They fixed this finally in the SystemWorks
> 2005 version (but there are still ways around it). You could try and see
> if McAfeeCrap works the same way (don't know, it was the absolute first
> DellWare I removed & never tried it.)

IIRC, Symantec found a way to block such re-installs of its
subscription applications. It involved the LiveUpdate module
that is used for uploading anti-virus definitions. Re-install
just places an old version into the Symantec common folder and
it will be detected when an update is requested. Beyond a number
of months, perhaps 18 months, no more uploads of the definitions.
Re-subscrube and the LiveUpdate module is updated. Consider it a
form of "activation".

vinCe

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:52:09 GMT, "Verizon" <nobody@verizon.net>
wrote:

>There was an old trick everyone use with Norton's Anti Virus that was to uninstall and reinstall it just before the subscription was up.
>That reset the one year subscription basis for one more year (and it was legal as well - I always reinstalled Win 98/ME/2000 machines at least once a year no matter what). They fixed this finally in the SystemWorks 2005 version (but there are still ways around it). You could try and see if McAfeeCrap works the same way (don't know, it was the absolute first DellWare I removed & never tried it.)
>
>If it doesn't work there are web sites where you can get the latest definitions (do a search as they tend to come and go).
>Not kosher, but that's "your" karma.
>

>> Trial version of McAfee Antivirus/Security Center bundled on my XPS
>> Gen 4 has expired. Is there any way for me to freely download
>> anti-virus signature updates manually, w/o an annual subscription ?

Well, yesterday I received an alert from the McAfee popup claiming an
instant 10.00$us online discount toward their anti-virus. I jumped on
this offer and now I feel relived that I have anti-virus protection
again.

Yes, I happened across that trick with Norton System Works 2000.

Vince wrote:
> Well, yesterday I received an alert from the McAfee popup claiming an
> instant 10.00$us online discount toward their anti-virus. I jumped on
> this offer and now I feel relived that I have anti-virus protection
> again.
>
> Yes, I happened across that trick with Norton System Works 2000.

Why not just use AVG Free AnitVirus and avoid the work-arounds?